cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??

Journeyman

No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??

Got my new GALAXY S3 today and after activation i have not been able to get a 4G signal anywhere.  Im in Houston 77087 area. 

65 REPLIES

Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??

Sprint's LTE network currently is being deployed and tested by Sprint and our deployment partners. The latest information is that the first LTE markets should go live mid-2012. The sprint.com coverage maps were just recently updated to accomodate the LTE maps, but currently do not have any info loaded as the network is not live yet. It should start going live pretty soon. Recently, Sprint allowed some news outlets access to the network in Atlanta to test it out a bit while it is still being worked on and give some feedback and report on it.

Information about the initial launch markets is available at www.sprint.com/4glte

Journeyman

No im not talking about 4G LTE i would like to get atleast a regular 4G signal.  I activated this phone at 3pm central and I have still not even seen a 4G connection at all.  I cant even get a simple youtube video to play.  Sprint internet sucks so bad its not even funny.  Called customer service and all they do is give you the runaround. Makes getting my new S3 a joke, i cant surf the net or watch a simple video. 

Wizard

You have a 4G LTE capable phone (whatever brand). The Sprint 4G LTE network is in the process of being built and will begin turning on in mid-2012.

If you have any other 4G phone like a Galaxy SII, for example, it is capable of using 4G WiMAX. That network is complete and running.

Your SIII phone is 4G LTE ready. It does NOT work, and was NOT made to work on 4G WiMAX.

When 4G LTE is "lit up" in your community, you will be able to use your device on 4G. For now, your device will have to run on 3G.

Journeyman

Thanks for clearing that up.  I called SPRINT customer service and asked them the same thing and she told me it should work on 4G Wimax , im sorry but those Reps have no clue what they are doing or talking about.  And to make matters worse our 3G towers were supposedly down, so i was told to wait 48 hours.  This is so frustrating, but atleast i can make calls i guess.  O well this is my last contract with Sprint and im done. Moving over to ATT or verizon.

Journeyman

You should return your SIII while you still can so you are not trapped in a 2 year contract for a phone that may not work in your area for a year or so into your contract, depending on your location and Sprint's mysterious roll-out plans.  If you are like me, you went from having a 4G WiMax phone that worked, to "upgrading" to a 4G LTE phone that doesn't work yet, and no committment from Sprint on when it will work.  I opted not to stay with the SIII.

Journeyman

There are a bunch of towers out in the mid west right now. According to coverage.sprint.com there is good 4G coverage in your area so this is probably the problem. Looks like the towers will be back up around july 5th.

Journeyman

I have the same problem.  Why would not an UPDATED devive not be backwards capatable??????????  Makes no sense to me.

Master

The S3 is a new model of device and it is equip with the hardware to use the LTE system.  Wi Max is a totally different system and has it own hardware.  The New devices only have the LTE.  There is only so much room in the case. 

Journeyman

I am so glad I found this thread!

We just upgraded 1 of our lines on a 2 year contract with the SIII and I had no idea that it only works on LTE!
I thought "oh ok i know we don't have LTE yet so I'll just use Wimax" but the phone is literally only for LTE. I feel like this is false advertising.

I don't remember it saying anywhere that "if you don't have LTE you're stuck on 3G speeds".

I did a speed test with my original Evo 4G and it had 4 times faster download speeds than the Galaxy SIII!

So yea needless to say I will be returning the phone but since I liked the phone itself a lot I think its time to pack my bags after 2 years and move to Verizon.

If Sprint made it clear that you wouldn't be able to use their 4G network at ALL until they implement LTE I would have been less upset but it feels so sneaky.

"Get unlimited internet...on our slow as all hell  3G network trolololol" by Sprint.

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.