ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ongoing Battery Life Problems

Highlighted

Ongoing Battery Life Problems

I upgraded my phone from the HTC Evo 4G to the Samsung SIII mostly motivated by really crappy battery life on the Evo, even after I put cyanogenmod on it to remove a bunch of apps I never used. The S3 had impressive specs of 12.5 days of standby time, 9 hours of talk time, plus all the extra features of screen size, memory, processor, LTE, etc.. But, the best I get is 36 hours before the thing is less than 5% battery and desperate for a charge. This is what I've done so far to try to mitigate the problem:

• Never charge the battery until it is low, to extend battery life
  • Turn off radios when going unused
  • Use Wi-Fi whenever possible
  • Use the Power Saving mode all the time with the most aggressive settings
  • Turned off account sync for all accounts
  • Regularly shut down apps with the built-in Task Manager (press and hold Home button, select Task Manager and stop all apps in RAM) to get things out of active running memory
  • When the phone is roaming or in really low signal areas, put it in Airplane Mode to attempt to conserve battery

What am I doing wrong here to cause this to happen? Is there anything that can be done to get better life out of this battery? It's tempting me to actually consider an iPhone, which I just HATE the prospect of doing, but I can't have my phone dying all the time on me, especially when I'm at the fair or even trying to find people in grocery stores, etc.. It really defeats the purpose of having one of these effing things.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

28 REPLIES 28

Re: Ongoing Battery Life Problems

It seems like your doing everything you can to maximize battery life. I have heard that if your phone is set to CDMA only that will help although in my case I can usually go a full day on one charge - even on CDMA/LTE mode. With an extended battery I get most of two days usage before needing a charge. Its possible you have a bad battery but the only feasible way to find out would be to try a different one (battery). Good luck. Rick

Journeyman

Real world performance is never going to be spot on to the stated specs of the battery. 36 hrs sounds pretty good and it seems like you are using the phone as well; so it would be 36hrs with medium usage.

These newer lithium batteries actually last longer and hold charge better when they are NOT run down completely, but rather to a level of around 15-20%. The amount the battery is run down to each time is called DoD or "Depth of Discharge." This holds true at the upper end of the spectrum as well during charging. It's actually not recommend to charge the battery up to 100% everytime (especially while the phone is on and left plugged in to the AC adapter overnight). Charging/discharging the battery to these extremes causes stress and wears out the battery quIcker. Lithium batteries don't have the memory issues that older NI-Cad batteries have. These batteries were actually designed to be charged in short bursts throughout the day as we normally go throughout our daily routine: Charge a bit in the car, then a bit more at work, then when we get home. Every so often you should perform a full charge from 15% to 100% when the phone is powered off and unplugging the phone immediately after 100% charge is reached.

Thanks for the responses. I'll give some more things a try, see if I can't get a bit longer out of them. Or, stop by the Sprint store and try out another battery. I do realize that the specs are one thing and real world performance is another, but it just seemed excessively off; we're talking like 15% off the spec, which seems to be heading down the path of straight-up lying. (And I am running CDMA-only mode, no LTE in Seattle yet).

Sad thing is, I know Apple's products are going to perform much closer to their spec; so if it says 225 hours on standby (CDMA or LTE), it's actually going to perform much closer to those numbers. Probably not 100%, but certainly much closer than 15%. 😕

Journeyman

Also, if you haven't already, try charging the phone to 100%, and just leaving it sit there without touching a single button. The quoted figure is that of absolutely zero usage. So if you were to check the battery graph in settings, Standby would read 100% of battery. Samsung isn't outright lying.

Also what I've noticed is sometimes a rogue process of Android OS will sap most of the battery so the phone is prevented from going into standby. If you leave the phone sitting for hours, then come back later and check, if anything other than Standby is taking up battery then your phone isn't truly going into standby or sleep mode. This only happened to my phone once, and was easily fixed with a simple restart.

Journeyman

I think you're battery life is really good compared to what I've read from others.  I get maybe 18 hours if I'm lucky...it lasts me from when I wake up til I go to bed most of the time so I'm happy.  I'd be happier if I could go a couple days without charging, but when I'm sleeping why do I need my phone anyway?  I'm just glad I can count on this battery to get me through the day most of the time...unless my daughter gets ahold of it and runs it down.  She's managed to kill it in just a matter of hours lol.  But I'm running everything stock...I'm too chicken to try the whole rooting process to increase the battery life and whatever else it does.  I would do that in a heartbeat if I knew I wouldn't risk bricking my phone!

GrandMaster

36 hours of standby (no touching or use on the phone at all) or 36 hours of battery life with use?

seattleskyeyes wrote:

I upgraded my phone from the HTC Evo 4G to the Samsung SIII mostly motivated by really crappy battery life on the Evo, even after I put cyanogenmod on it to remove a bunch of apps I never used. The S3 had impressive specs of 12.5 days of standby time, 9 hours of talk time, plus all the extra features of screen size, memory, processor, LTE, etc.. But, the best I get is 36 hours before the thing is less than 5% battery and desperate for a charge. This is what I've done so far to try to mitigate the problem:

• Never charge the battery until it is low, to extend battery life
  • Turn off radios when going unused
  • Use Wi-Fi whenever possible
  • Use the Power Saving mode all the time with the most aggressive settings
  • Turned off account sync for all accounts
  • Regularly shut down apps with the built-in Task Manager (press and hold Home button, select Task Manager and stop all apps in RAM) to get things out of active running memory
  • When the phone is roaming or in really low signal areas, put it in Airplane Mode to attempt to conserve battery

What am I doing wrong here to cause this to happen? Is there anything that can be done to get better life out of this battery? It's tempting me to actually consider an iPhone, which I just HATE the prospect of doing, but I can't have my phone dying all the time on me, especially when I'm at the fair or even trying to find people in grocery stores, etc.. It really defeats the purpose of having one of these effing things.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************

With occasional (not heavy) use -- web browsing, checking e-mail, some texts, some app use like local news, etc., maybe an hour or two worth of phone calls max (and, we're talking averages here, so there aren't any controls in place for measurement). 3G or Wi-Fi only, not using LTE (not available in Seattle). Bluetooth off, GPS idle, and use Task Manager to kill off pre-loaded bloatware apps.

According to the Battery meter thing, it says Cell Standby is 73% of battery usage. Device idle is next at 9%, Android OS 7%, Wallet (which I never use) 5%, Android System and Voice calls 2% each.

GrandMaster

so with medium to moderate use youre getting 36 hours...which is pretty good. any of the above things you mentioned while not having the best of reception will croak off a battery pretty quickly as well..but im not really seeing that here.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************

Right. I try to switch into Airplane Mode or power off if I'm going to be in a roaming space for a while. My level of confusion (and subsequent posts) is based on the published stats by Sprint/Samsung about the battery (in theory, what I'm supposed to get) and why I'm only able to get 15% or so of said statistics. I thought I was doing something seriously wrong or had a defective handset or battery. But it's good to know that the published info is simply incorrect.

GrandMaster

its not really incorrect....for some odd reason if you left your phone completley alone..didnt use it at all..that would be your stand by time..that battery SHOULD last the 12 days. not including if youre in an area with really bad reception..then obviously that time frame is going to drop like a rock. 9 hours of talk time isnt far off either..figure if you put in 2 hours of talk time with the phone..add in browsing the web and checking out your emails..that is pretty much the same as talking solid on your phone....only difference is your using a different antenna...my mom picked up a SIII and she's getting roughly 2-3 days out of a charge...but she REALLY doesnt use it much..a few games here and there and maybe some texts and a couple calls..aside from that not much

Journeyman

Exactly. The 12 hour timeframe is not an exaggeration/lie. It's simply stating the fact of the phone's ability to stay powered in STANDBY mode for 12 days straight.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat