cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Predictive Text and Passwords -- Galaxy S3

Journeyman

Predictive Text and Passwords -- Galaxy S3

I have a new Samsung Galaxy S3 and turned the Predictive Text on.  To my horror I see that it had captured my online banking password and the second time I logged on as I began to type it suggested the entire password !!!!!

I know I can turn predictive text off and not use it, but 1) it seems like a serious security flaw in the standard keyboard funcationality and 2) it make me wonder if a thief gets hold of my phone and figures out how to unlock it, can they turn predictive text on and if they can guess the first few characters of a password will predictive text show them the rest?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Predictive Text and Passwords -- Galaxy S3

In order for someone to find, whatever your password might be,  1) they would have to know, and try to log on to the website that password was used for if they put in the username thats associated with that website/log-in  first. Thats usually when predictive text will pull it up or suggest it.  I use the SwiftKey paid app keyboard and I use predictive the text with it, but when I select a spot to type in a password, or get to a logon,  the predicitive text stops automatically when I type in a password.  Im not entirely sure,  but I think thats how it works any time you type in a log-in password d,  unless you have that remembered for what your signing into.

Journeyman

Thanks.

In the case of my online banking, it's an app, not a web page, and my username is buried in the app by design, so I do not enter it. My wife who has a Galaxy S3 says that she has predictive text on and with one app it does not try to predict her password and in another app it does, so I'm wondering if this may be an app issue where the developer needs to identify a field as a password field.

I would also like to know if there is a way to clear the predictive app cache, because I turned the predicitive text off, hoping it would clear the cache, then I turned it back on, went to my banking app and began to type the password and it again presented the entier password to me.

Journeyman

I have the Galaxy Note 2 (same software) and whenever i am at a text prompt it suggests my online banking password. i use good passwords so anyone stealing my phone would see this and know it is a password and would be able to access my bank account. this is a really big gaping security hole that opens Sprint and Samsung up to major liability. How do i turn off prediction for passwords?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat