cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receive Signal Strength

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Receive Signal Strength

I wonder if the "cellphone antenna boosters" (those sticker kind) will help in getting better signal.  Can be a solution for the meantime while we anxiously wait for the 4G LTE to be up and running.  It's just embarassing to even think about buying those antenna boosters for our GS3 phones.  We'll see if it will work.  I ordered some today.  And to even think that my GS3 keeps on loosing the connection to my wifi at home is really bad.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have an EVO LTE that is having an issue receiving calls in a specific area. It calls out fine, but will not receive a single call if in that town. As soon as I go down the highway 2 towers down it is fine. My reception is fine and works great in many areas. My problem is in Fuquay Varina, NC. Not a single call comes to my phone while there. We have been told it is a capacity issue, I doubt it since EVERY SINGLE CALL IS NOT RECEIVED THERE ONLY. All while other phones work fine. My wife's EVO LTE does the same.

Highlighted
Wizard

Wasn't there a post about the new LTE phones being capabale of getting 800Mhz and since that conversion is far from complete Sprint was manually turning off the phones from searching for and latching onto 800Mhz and this fixed many of the calling and signal issues.  I'll post a link if I can find it and I'm not sure if you can do it yourself or have to go into a store or call customer service but it's something you could try. 

Cheers,

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't think the EVO LTE has 800mhz capability. I could be wrong.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Both the EVO LTE & S3 are the same.  They have 800 mhz capability on EVDO (aka 3G), but NOT on LTE (aka 4G).  Here is the source...

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-243-updated-samsung-galaxy-s3-passes-fcc-muster-launch-immi...

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-159-htc-evo-4g-lte-tech-details-revealed-in-fcc-oet-filing/

Sadly, this means that these phones will likely still have poor in-building coverage even on LTE when it launches because they'll only operate on the 1900 mhz band.  I'm not sure how Samsung's development cycle works, but I can only guess that 800 mhz LTE was not implemented on the Sprint models because Sprint only just got FCC clearance to use 800 mhz last month (ie - the phone was designed long before the ruling).  It probably won't matter though, as Sprint wasn't planning to implement 800 mhz LTE until after the 1900 mhz roll out, which pushes out 800 mhz LTE until 2014 & beyond.  We'll all have Galaxy S5's by then!  LOL

Highlighted
Journeyman

My bad, thought you meant LTE.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

if im remembering right the chip can do it...the phone however can not..

Connectivity

Network                       
CDMA 3G, 4G LTE
WirelessWiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n
Bluetooth4.0; profiles A2DP, AVRCP, GAVDP, HFP 1.5, HSP, HID, GOEP, SDAP/SDP, SPP, PAN, Stereo Streaming, AVDTP, OBEX 
USBUSB 2.0
Memory SlotmicroSD up to 32GB/MicroSDHC
Tetheringenables up to 8 Wi-Fi devices. Requires Sprint Mobile Hotspot
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Yup, the Sprint model only has antennas for 1900 mhz LTE.  The Big Red model, for example, has both 700 & 1900 mhz LTE antennas.

Highlighted
Wizard

Found it.  Post 17 from RC 1024 here: http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/439743#439743

Re: Antenna or Cell tower issue?

There is a bit more involved that this process may not uncover. since this phone is capable of using our services on the 800 MHz band, and in some areas 800 MHz is not available we pushed a PRL update to remove 800 MHz acquisitions from the phone. this is why we do normally as which PRL & baseband is in a phone while dealing with service related problems.

Don't know if that will fix it or if the PRL has been rolled to everyone in a specific area etc...

Cheers,

Highlighted
Journeyman

Interesting.  That seems strange that the PRL would be so messed up as to allow the phone to find 800 mhz connections, given that Sprint's 800 mhz band was 2G only & exclusively used for iDEN Nextel stuff because of the super narrow bandwidth the FCC regulated (prior to last month).  I'm pretty sure the EVO 4G & other old phones people have said used to work fine also have 800 mhz capabilities on CDMA.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

In the past we have only offered our CDMA services in the 1900 MHz band. With network vision each cellsite will broadcast our voice & data on 1900 and 800. not all of our CDMA phones will be able to work on 800 MHz from what I have been told, but should see some benefit from the transition

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

I doubt that this is generalized problem with this model's antenna or receive sensitivity.  From your reported symptoms, and those reported anecdotally elsewhere, I suspect some faulty interplay between your phone and the network.   Some users in some locations using LTE-capable phones report such problems.  We don't know the root cause, and if Sprint knows they aren't saying.

I do note that Sprint's entire network is being rebuilt right now on a rolling schedule, and its new Network Vision sites will replace the all legacy sites.  Various areas are in various states of development (from planning to live testing to almost-launched).  None of the new NV sites, which will bring 4G LTE service to virtually all current legacy towers, are officially launched; some are broadcasting signal, but the signal is blocked from customer connections.

So there could be multiple local causes in different areas, and those causes might be temporary.  The fact is that we don't know.  The best route is to take it up with Sprint tech support, and if they can't get it resolved within your all-too-short trial period, you have a hard decision to make.  Personally, I would not make a two-year contractual commitment without some concrete assurance this particular problem will get fixed.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat