cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receive Signal Strength

Journeyman

Re: Receive Signal Strength

Just got done reading all the posts... got a little confused at one point; is there an option to get a non-LTE version of the Sprint SG3?  I have maybe ever used any 4G 2-3 times ever in my two years with the Evo as I live in small town CT... a.k.a. an area not worthy of 4G/LTE until ALL the cities have it. 

I got a SG3 yesterday, replacing my Evo4G (original, not LTE) and usually getting 1-2 bars or roaming.  All the way down Interstate 95 in CT I was getting 1-2 bars max when I'd peek over (in traffic, while standing still).  Actually I thought that perhaps there was something wrong because I never broke 3 bars (this phone has 6 total, not 5) even in areas where my old phone used to get full strength everywhere.  I've still had pretty decent call quality with 2 bars, but it's been all but useless to try and download anything, surf the web, etc unless I'm on WiFi. I'll give it a while and hope that it gets taken care of before I'd return this, but this simply can't continue... in fact, I'd consider paying a bit more and switching carriers if I find that this is going to continue and it's not going on with AT&T, but for all I know they could have the same thing going on with the SG3/OneX.

Does anyone know if there are similar issues going on with the other cell companies? 

GrandMaster

from what i remember yeah..reception issues. cant remember which forum it was posted in but there are like issues on ATT's side of things as well.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Well, I decided to take the plunge on a new GS3.

So far, my signal strength seems similar (if not slightly better) in all the areas I have tried it compared to my 2 yr old Samsung Moment.  I have always gotten & now continue to get 0-2 bars in my home, though I seem to drop down to 0 less frequently with the GS3.  Out on the street, I get full signal.  The speeds (via speedtest.net) are all comparable over the average of multiple tests, roughly 150 kbps in my home & 300-500 outside/around town.  Yes, these speeds suck.  However, I'm not comparing them with Verizon speeds...just with my speeds on the Moment.  These numbers are also in line with the other two phones my family has had on the Sprint network since 2010 (Samsung GS2 & Blackberry Style).  Sadly, I never had an EVO or iPhone so I can't compare against those signals. There is, of course, the slight signal drop when you cup your hand around the lower left quadrant (screen facing you), as that's where the antenna sits.  My Moment was the same design & I'm used to avoiding that in poor signal areas.  All phones have an area like that where you hand can attenuate the antenna signal - the trick is just knowing where the spot is & to avoid it when you have poor signal.

For me, the GS3 has been a MASSIVE upgrade in performance just due to the quickness of the phone's OS & graphics compared to the laggy Moment.  I'm enjoying it quite a bit compared to my trusty old Moment (which was not always so trusty).

One thing to consider is network problems.  I wouldn't have thought it would be such an issue, but my wife has lost service near her place of employment 3 times in the past month for a total outage of over 11 days.  Each of these three several-day-long occurrences were due to Sprint tower problems/outages.  I would have thought there would be no way they would have outages like that so fast & furiously, but they keep crediting our account for them!  I think Network Vision work/tinkering is messing with the day-to-day coverage footprint out there MUCH more than the average user realizes.  I know folks think because their old phone works better that network issues cannot be at play, but a bad network could possibly make a slightly lower power antenna seem like a much lower power antenna (my guess as to what's happening here).

Journeyman

I think you're right about it being network problems.  I have family in CO and MN who are also on Sprint and have been having some of the same issues being reported here and in the EVO 4G LTE & SGSIII forums (missed calls, dropped calls, texts not going out, losing internet connection).  I've experienced one text that I know of that I never received, and delays in sending a few texts.  I called Sprint tonight and the first message on the line was a recording saying if I was calling about data-related issues, "we're aware of the problem and are working diligently to correct it".  Sounds like network issues to me.

baka77 wrote:

One thing to consider is network problems.  I wouldn't have thought it would be such an issue, but my wife has lost service near her place of employment 3 times in the past month for a total outage of over 11 days.  Each of these three several-day-long occurrences were due to Sprint tower problems/outages.  I would have thought there would be no way they would have outages like that so fast & furiously, but they keep crediting our account for them!  I think Network Vision work/tinkering is messing with the day-to-day coverage footprint out there MUCH more than the average user realizes.  I know folks think because their old phone works better that network issues cannot be at play, but a bad network could possibly make a slightly lower power antenna seem like a much lower power antenna (my guess as to what's happening here).

Highlighted
Journeyman

For those of you mentioning EVO 4G LTE vs Galaxy SIII, if you can contribue comparative SpeedTest screenshots at http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/445035 I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Journeyman

I have the SG3 just upgraded last week and service is absolutely garbage....I feel like I'm back on AT&T back when the iPhone 3G/3Gs were released...I hope to GOD this gets fixed

Journeyman

OK so I checked the specs on this new radio.   It seems that if you have your mobile network set to LTE/CDMA it will constantly look for an LTE network to connect to.  It causes the phone to constantly filter the signal and in turn glitch out your signal.  I tested my theory in a area I know I have problems in and changed it only to CDMA.  The GS3 acted exactly like when I first had the Epic 1 running froyo.  No glitch occurred and no dropped call.  Until LTE comes to my area I believe that this will be the best solution to us all. 

Journeyman

I have the same issues with the Samsung Galaxy 2 as well, no signals, phone re-sets  on its  own after i set it to my liking..cant upload, download..  dropped calls  and  very poor netork connections  im oover it   we  all need to get  a class action suit going.. whty should we pay for this  service if they cant delievr the goods?  is it Sprints  network?  Is it samsungs  software?  maybe  there is a glitch?  Who is responsible and what do we the paying customers  do about it?  Crazy!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat