cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receive Signal Strength

Journeyman

Receive Signal Strength

Hi,

I've used my Sammy for 1 day now, all the places I normally used my iPhone 4S.  I'm having issues with signal strength -- to the point that text messages do not always send (approx 20% of the time).  It will show 3 or 4 bars, then 1 or none.  Then stay none for 5 or more minutes, then pop back for 10 sec, then back to 1 or none.  It is very frustrating.  Web will not work reliably when this is happening, etc.

I'm concerned it is the phone -- and hopefully not an antennagate (like Apple).  Anyone else have experience with ability to work in areas that were marginal before?

Thanks!

g00b

BTW, the camera works, but not quite as sharp as iPhone 4S.

Tags (2)
79 REPLIES 79
Wizard

Re: Receive Signal Strength

Many SGS2 users had this problem.  Let's hope this phone isn't nerfed as well. 

Cheers,

Journeyman

im having the same exact issues, im roaming half the day. I dont understand. im so upset. i love this phone yet the signal is quite terrible.

Journeyman

Journeyman

Hi pskdude1224,

I see what you are saying, but the 3G reception on my SGS3 is definitely worse than my iPhone 4S.  Even sending text messages fails on the SGS3.  Sprint is shipping a replacement SGS3 -- will see if same or better peformance.

-g00b

Journeyman

my gf has an iphone to and my speedtest come in 1/4 of what she gets. So yes im having the same issues...i wouldnt get your hopes up about that changing on the new phone. Dont pass the 14 days in case you would want to return it. just my 2 cents.

Journeyman

Wow, if 1/4 the speed of the 4S, that is really slow!   

Good point -- If the Sammy is still no go and I'm near the end of my 14 days, it is going back.  When others tried it out today, their oooh ahhhs turned into just ... ummmmm...  It was kind of embarassing ... oh well .

-g00b

Wizard

The lack of LTE has nothing to do with poor signal strength on these new Samsung phones.  The Sprint version of the Galaxy Nexus has the same issues.  Look at that forum here and see for yourself.  I returned mine.  Also if u bought yours online and don't have a Sprint corporate store nearby the phone must reach them before day 13. 

Cheers

Journeyman

Many HTC EVO 4G LTE owners are experiencing similar reception issues you've described. It appears that Sprint is having 3G/cellular signal strength problems with all of their LTE-capable devices. I know it doesn't help you, but it's somewhat comforting to know that it's not just the EVOs experiencing these issues.

Wizard

hmmm, interesting thought.  Perhaps but doesn't explain all the issues with the Sprint version of the SGS2.  Of couse that could just be a Samsung QC issue. 

Cheers,

Journeyman

I started a thread here about signal issues. A question / surrvey if you will.  This is and cannot be a network issues. Many, many new EVO's are having signal isses. Just go to EVO LTE forum and read all the threads and complaints.  If it were a network issues, then people such as myself who had phones previous to the EVO and SIII, I have the original Evo 4G , with no WiMax and only 3G and where I had little signal with that, I have NONE with the new EVO, seems to be the same thus far with the SIII. Course I have heard the sammy has weaker antenna to begin with.   I was trying to get feedback about the SIII before my 14 days are up.   Seems like I may be taking the EVO back , going back to my OEVO and either wating for the i5 or going to Verizon. I'm calling BS on these new phones. Such a same too, awsome hardware and ICS.

Wizard

I agree it's not possible that this is a network error. the Samsung phones are terrible. also the new EVO LTE appears to be afflicted with the same bad signal as the Samsung devices. my current EVO Design 4g works great. We should read the ATT, T-Mobile and Verizon forums to see if they are having similar issues with these newer phones. 

Cheers

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat