cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receive Signal Strength

Highlighted
GrandMaster

Re: Receive Signal Strength

JimmyOlsen wrote:

I doubt that this is generalized problem with this model's antenna or receive sensitivity.  From your reported symptoms, and those reported anecdotally elsewhere, I suspect some faulty interplay between your phone and the network.   Some users in some locations using LTE-capable phones report such problems.  We don't know the root cause, and if Sprint knows they aren't saying.

I do note that Sprint's entire network is being rebuilt right now on a rolling schedule, and its new Network Vision sites will replace the all legacy sites.  Various areas are in various states of development (from planning to live testing to almost-launched).  None of the new NV sites, which will bring 4G LTE service to virtually all current legacy towers, are officially launched; some are broadcasting signal, but the signal is blocked from customer connections.

So there could be multiple local causes in different areas, and those causes might be temporary.  The fact is that we don't know.  The best route is to take it up with Sprint tech support, and if they can't get it resolved within your all-too-short trial period, you have a hard decision to make.  Personally, I would not make a two-year contractual commitment without some concrete assurance this particular problem will get fixed.

we have a guy over in the LTEVO forum posting his LTE speeds..theyre testing in his area day to day and have yet to block it.

*********************************************************
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Receive Signal Strength

fireguy_6364 wrote:

we have a guy over in the LTEVO forum posting his LTE speeds..theyre testing in his area day to day and have yet to block it.

Yes, there have been lots of sporadic sightings in the wild of 4G LTE test-site connections, many of which have been temporary.  But most LTE signals are still blocked.

In the context of this thread, my general point is that there is a lot of construction and infrastructure development going on right now, which might be a factor here.  What is important with respect to the original poster's problem is not getting his LTE-capable phone to connect to some test tower, but getting his phone to connect to the older legacy network that it is supposed to be using right now.

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Receive Signal Strength

Is there an easy way to tell what tower and frequency your phone is talking to?

Cheers,

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Receive Signal Strength

Panzer06 wrote:

Is there an easy way to tell what tower and frequency your phone is talking to?

The easiest way is to download and run the Netmonitor app.  It does not show frequency, but it does show connection type, Rx signal level, network and base station IDs, and estimated tower locations.

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Receive Signal Strength

I suppose if you stood in the same place with a working OEVO and a new LTE phone and looked at the netmonitor output you would be able to determine if they were seeing different connections.  Might be something to try. 

Cheers,

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Receive Signal Strength

Panzer06 wrote:

I suppose if you stood in the same place with a working OEVO and a new LTE phone and looked at the netmonitor output you would be able to determine if they were seeing different connections.  Might be something to try. 

Yes, I have made precisely that suggestion to some end-users in another forum reporting these "weak signal" symptoms.  But to my knowledge no one has performed the experiment.

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Receive Signal Strength

I'm traveling in the Atlanta GA area this week.  I have the older EVO phones.  There must be someone with a new phone who wants to test. 

Cheers,

Highlighted
GrandMaster

Re: Receive Signal Strength

JimmyOlsen wrote:

, but getting his phone to connect to the older legacy network that it is supposed to be using right now.

thats the weird part though..you can have 10 of these phones..or even 10 of the LTEVO's and half of them will work fine...the other half will have the data/reception issue... it wouldnt be the older towers compared to the newer towers since there are a handful of people posting in the EVO side that have another phone handy  that is having the issue while theirs is not. side by side.

*********************************************************
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Receive Signal Strength

At that point wouldn't we see the one having the issue is connected to a different tower or frenqency?  Of course in this scenario the 10 phones would change states (working and not working ) randomly depending on the connection (unless the profile or PRL) of the working phones is different and how would you tell that?

Ugh, this is a mess!

Cheers,

Highlighted
GrandMaster

Re: Receive Signal Strength

you would think so..personally i would think that any tech in here that spots someone that has access to 2 phones (1 working just fine the other not) and can have them side by side would be in high demand to have some field tests done..if it was me i would jump all over that..even having them both run opensignal and see what theyre both pulling up would be better than nothing *shrug*

and yes...headache status for sure.

Panzer06 wrote:

At that point wouldn't we see the one having the issue is connected to a different tower or frenqency?  Of course in this scenario the 10 phones would change states (working and not working ) randomly depending on the connection (unless the profile or PRL) of the working phones is different and how would you tell that?

Ugh, this is a mess!

Cheers,

*********************************************************
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Receive Signal Strength

fireguy_6364 wrote:

JimmyOlsen wrote:

, but getting his phone to connect to the older legacy network that it is supposed to be using right now.

thats the weird part though..you can have 10 of these phones..or even 10 of the LTEVO's and half of them will work fine...the other half will have the data/reception issue... it wouldnt be the older towers compared to the newer towers since there are a handful of people posting in the EVO side that have another phone handy  that is having the issue while theirs is not. side by side.

My subjective impression from surverying the GS3 and EVO LTE forums is that it is a rather small subset of both phones' users who experience the really egregious connectivity problems.  So to test my theory as Panzer06 and I have suggested, the guinea pig would have to be one of these users with a reproducible problem.

For generalized testing of RF performance across devices, which is a rather different experiment, I am eagerly awaiting some testing planned at the fantastic S4GRU.com site.  See http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1347-pattern-of-bad-connections-to-legacy-network-sites-with-lte-p...

Highlighted
GrandMaster

Re: Receive Signal Strength

yah i go there often. and the 5 out of 5 wasnt anything concrete..it would be nice if either sprint, HTC or whoever could come up with a app that you could use to run these types of tests..tech support then has you add it to your phone and run it..you relay what you see..then it goes from there.

*********************************************************
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat