cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receive Signal Strength

Journeyman

Re: Receive Signal Strength

Panzer06 wrote:

I agree it's not possible that this is a network error. the Samsung phones are terrible. also the new EVO LTE appears to be afflicted with the same bad signal as the Samsung devices. my current EVO Design 4g works great. We should read the AT&T and Verizon forums to see if they are having similar issues with these newer phones. 

Cheers

Thanks Panzer, and yes, good idea, to check those forums, althohgh Verizon doesn't have a phone yet tpo compare to these, They don't get the SIII thill next month I believe??

Journeyman

This is depressing. I love my Samsung Epic 4G because it had great signal strength.I can get a signal at work when no one else on other services can.

At home I am on the fringe of Sprint service so signal is not so great. Was hoping the newer phones would be better. Holding off upgrading. Hope everyone who got a Galaxy continues to post problems and resolutions.

Wizard

Well you were lucky. 2 of 3 SGS2 failed for us.  One of those was sold and the other still has signal issues and the screen just blanks out randomly.  It's been to Samsung for repair to no avail.  Looks like we'll need to send it back again.  I'm ok with the EVO 4G Design but really like the new big displays but with Galaxy Nexus, EVO 4G LTE and the SGS3 all having signal issues perhaps I just need to wait until the iPhone 5 comes out this fall.  Perhaps the service will have improved by then and LTE will be available and I can try a new phone.  Maybe HTC and Samsung will fix their issues by then. 

Cheers,

GrandMaster

if im remembering correctly someone posted about the ATT version having the same issues with reception/data. im not about to go searching it out lol...but i DO remember reading about it in one of the threads.

Panzer06 wrote:

I agree it's not possible that this is a network error. the Samsung phones are terrible. also the new EVO LTE appears to be afflicted with the same bad signal as the Samsung devices. my current EVO Design 4g works great. We should read the ATT, T-Mobile and Verizon forums to see if they are having similar issues with these newer phones.

Cheers

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Wizard

I wonder why we're seeing all these issues on Sprint's newer phones.  I also wonder how many never go reported.  I have friends, coworkers and neighbors with these smartphones and sometimes they causally mention how unreliable they are vs the old "flip" phone they used to own.  When queried not one has called to complain.  They just live with it.  Unless it's dead and they can't use it complaining is too much trouble.  I can't imagine what the uproar would be if all these users started complaining and returning devices.

I do on occasion have issues with my Verizon iPad just dropping LTE altogether but I chalk that up to all the problem's they've had keeping the LTE side up and running.  I just don't understand what the issue is with all the new devices. 

Cheers,

GrandMaster

not a clue..even weirder is they already have some version 3 phones out there. oddly enough i know a few people that have the EVOLTE. neither have the issues. one of the guys that posts quite a bit within the forums has one for both himself and his GF...no issues..yet their friend that picked one up at the same exact time has the reception/data issue. hold all 3 together and test them and theres a night and day difference with the friends.

it just gets weirder adn weirder...im thinking whatever the issue is on the EVO side is most likely going to be the same on this side..im to lazy to go look but arent they running the same chip?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Ok, received my second (replacement) Samsung Galaxy S3 today.  It it is just as bad...

Apps: Settings: About device: Status: Signal strength

It will show from -81 dBm to -102 dBm based on if I'm holding it, or if it is sitting on the couch.  The update isn't instant.  I let it set for a few minutes, then query the signal strength.

-g00b

Journeyman

I have a replacement coming too, hoping it was a handset issue. So thanks. Im having the same problems and i fear it isnt a handset issue, this makes me real sad the more i play with my phone and the more apps i install etc. the more i like it. Just not worth not having any reception anywhere..and slow 3g. 😕

Journeyman

One of the reasons for poor signal in newer phones is in 2009 the FCC updated their acceptable SAR (Specific Absorbtion Rate) values. By doing so the phones are required to produce less radiation. When a phone gets poor signal it produces more radiation to try and find signal, also draining battery life faster. With the new limits on the SAR the phones signal recieving characteristics are greatly reduced causing poor call quality. The signal strength is measured in decibels and is present and true to it's value but that doesn't mean the phone is receiving the full signal. Older phones had a very high SAR thus alot of times interfering with things such as radios. Here's a sight for reference.. http://http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/rfsafety/

Wizard

Thank you for the cite. It is an interesting premise.  If this is one of the proximate causes for poor signal quality, Sprint will need to put up a lot more towers and I seriously doubt they can afford it. 

Cheers,

That does sound reasonable, when I first got my epic touch I was surprised at how good the battery was compared to my evo 4G. It did,however, have weaker signal reception and lately with the change in cell providers roaming agreements it's getting hard to put up with their service.

Journeyman

Very interesting indeed.  I can now see why Sprint was so anxious to get FCC approval on the 800 mhz spectrum!  It requires less sites & has better in-building coverage.

Big Red has been using 700 mhz EVDO on their CDMA network for awhile & how many people do you hear complaining about their coverage levels?  LOL

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat