cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receive Signal Strength

Wizard

Re: Receive Signal Strength

In looking at this netmonitor app I see 2 things.  Looks like 3 towers nearby and 2 are red and one is green.  A light blue circle is blinking at one of the red ones (I assume that's my connection) and it says I'm connected to EvDo rev. A?  How does my phone decide which tower to pick?  Is there any other data I might use as part of a troubleshooting process?

For curiosity sake I ran it on my t-mobile phone and the tower is at the same longitude and latitude (obviously sharing the tower) but the T-Mobile Signal is much stronger. 

I don't have a new LTE phone to test (returned my GN LTE because the signal was terrible). 

Cheers,

GrandMaster

i would think it will jump to whichever tower is performing the best..i'll have to check out that app though..im currently running open signal and it shows im running a tower much further away..but this is because the tower i can shoot from here with a walmart bb gun is over loaded..the color choices for the towers your seeing im interested in though..wonder what they mean? usually red=bad..

Panzer06 wrote:

.  A light blue circle is blinking at one of the red ones (I assume that's my connection) and it says I'm connected to EvDo rev. A?  How does my phone decide which tower to pick?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

fireguy_6364 wrote:

i would think it will jump to whichever tower is performing the best..i'll have to check out that app though..im currently running open signal and it shows im running a tower much further away..but this is because the tower i can shoot from here with a walmart bb gun is over loaded..the color choices for the towers your seeing im interested in though..wonder what they mean? usually red=bad..

Panzer06 wrote:

.  A light blue circle is blinking at one of the red ones (I assume that's my connection) and it says I'm connected to EvDo rev. A?  How does my phone decide which tower to pick?

The color-coding within Netmonitor's map view is

• Green = current connection
  • Red = recently logged connection

I dunno about a blinking blue icon.  All the features of Netmonitor aren't supported on my current phone (Epic 4G).

Take the lat/lon coordinates with a grain of salt.  Some locations I have seen reported can't be found on the ground, and do not correspond to real towers or to project maps published on S4GRU.  (There is no way to cross-link the IDs, unfortunately).

The log screen view lists all the sites in the current log, with a different color-coding scheme that supposedly shows the source for the coordinates.  I still find these to be a bit flaky.

But the Network ID, Base Station ID and signal strength are taken right from the sytem info captured by the Android system.

As for how the phone decides which tower to use, that's a different question, and I frankly don't know.  I think it is quite complex.

Wizard

Complex indeed and I suppose these issues won't be solved by 3 guys on a computer.   

I guess I'm waiting until Oct/Nov to see how things are once LTE is activated in GA & FL.  Also, want to see what the iPhone 5 looks like.  I prefer HTC Sense but I guess I'll see how thing turn out.  Hopefully HTC will have worked out any bugs or I might have to consider the SG3. 

Cheers,

Journeyman

Panzer06 wrote:

How does my phone decide which tower to pick?

Complex indeed and I suppose these issues won't be solved by 3 guys on a computer.   

FYI, a decent primer on the subject can be found in this thread and embedded links at the S4GRU site:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1186-towersignal-question/page__p__23118#entry23118

Don't ask me to explain it all any better.  This stuff makes my brain itch on the inside.  But everyone should understand that this issue is a lot more complex than just the "bars" showing on their phone.

GrandMaster

i actually snagged up a 4S a while back to check it out..was pretty impressed with siri..especially compared to anything i have seen on the android side of things

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

C'mon, you guys are killin me, enuf with all this techno babble bs....Hehe,  JK , but seriously, it doesn't take a genious and all this info to know that this is not a tower or network issue.  No one cares about 800, 1700, blah blah blah....We/Us buy these phones under the premise that they WORK.  After all the hype and hoops to jump thru, they tout these phones as being the best thing on the planet, yet they don't work. 

Ok here is the test, I don't need to have an OEVO and a new EVO side by side.  This is simple for the techno impaired..or those that don't care and pay a service (a premium fee to boot) and get nothing. 

I had an OEVO, worked for 2 yrs,(not very well but that is the Sprint that we all have come to love/hate, used it in the same places, my life has not changed in 2 years, I go to  work and play all in the same places.  Ok, next, I get the new EVO, and here is the test...IT DOESN'T WORK in the same places that I frequent, work, play...It's that simple.  That is as good a side by side test we need, real world, every day , same locations...I had it for 10 days and could not use it 80% of the time beacuse of poor reception, not beacause of the towers or the wind, or the clouds, or the elecro magnetic force field...cuz the phone is a failure. There are far too many people that have the same poor signal issues all over the country, not in one place or another, all over. I no longer have my new EVO and went back to my OEVO, (thank goodness I didn't sell it back to Sprint)..and guess what , IT WORKS where the new EVO doesn't. Test over.

GrandMaster

all that shows is that there IS a issue..but you cant exactly do a side by side apples to apples test when you have a apple and a orange lol

Journeyman

warrior391 wrote:

C'mon, you guys are killin me, enuf with all this techno babble bs....Hehe,  JK , but seriously, it doesn't take a genious and all this info to know that this is not a tower or network issue.  No one cares about 800, 1700, blah blah blah....We/Us buy these phones under the premise that they WORK.  After all the hype and hoops to jump thru, they tout these phones as being the best thing on the planet, yet they don't work. 

Ok here is the test, I don't need to have an OEVO and a new EVO side by side.  This is simple for the techno impaired..or those that don't care and pay a service (a premium fee to boot) and get nothing. 

I had an OEVO, worked for 2 yrs,(not very well but that is the Sprint that we all have come to love/hate, used it in the same places, my life has not changed in 2 years, I go to  work and play all in the same places.  Ok, next, I get the new EVO, and here is the test...IT DOESN'T WORK in the same places that I frequent, work, play...It's that simple.  That is as good a side by side test we need, real world, every day , same locations...I had it for 10 days and could not use it 80% of the time beacuse of poor reception, not beacause of the towers or the wind, or the clouds, or the elecro magnetic force field...cuz the phone is a failure. There are far too many people that have the same poor signal issues all over the country, not in one place or another, all over. I no longer have my new EVO and went back to my OEVO, (thank goodness I didn't sell it back to Sprint)..and guess what , IT WORKS where the new EVO doesn't. Test over.

I don't blame you.  I would have returned the phone, too, since the vendor only gives you 14 days before owning you for the next two years under contract.  To quote myself from my first comment in this thread, "Personally, I would not make a two-year contractual commitment without some concrete assurance this particular problem will get fixed."

But for the record, I don't agree with your oversimplified explanation about why your phone didn't work,  It is more accurate to say that your phone did not work on the current legacy network, which is not the same network it was ultimately designed for, while that new network is still under construction.  (Which may actually have contributed to your problem.)  Your phone was supposed to work fine under these interim conditions, but it obviously did not.

And for the record, I am still using my old Epic 4G.  I am pretty confident these problems will go away when the new LTE network is turned on in my area a couple of months from now, and my service will be hugely better  That is when I expect to buy a new LTE-capable phone.

Journeyman

fireguy_6364 wrote:

all that shows is that there IS a issue..but you cant exactly do a side by side apples to apples test when you have a apple and a orange lol

Well then you can't exactly do a side by side test if we had both active phones in hand, because they are 2 different kinds of phones anyway,  apple/orange.   But it IS a side by side real world test where in one phone works in the exact same place that another does not.  I had the same issue with the Epic SII or whatever it's called. That went back too, just before I got the EVO LTE.

So if there IS an issue (with the phone) that is all that matters , Yes?  Until LTE launches to see if the reception improves or to wait for a hardware/software fix...Or wait for the i5....? 

Journeyman

JimmyOlsen wrote:

warrior391 wrote:

I don't blame you.  I would have returned the phone, too, since the vendor only gives you 14 days before owning you for the next two years under contract.  To quote myself from my first comment in this thread, "Personally, I would not make a two-year contractual commitment without some concrete assurance this particular problem will get fixed."

But for the record, I don't agree with your oversimplified explanation about why your phone didn't work,  It is more accurate to say that your phone did not work on the current legacy network, which is not the same network it was ultimately designed for, while that new network is still under construction.  (Which may actually have contributed to your problem.)  Your phone was supposed to work fine under these interim conditions, but it obviously did not.

*Exactly, thanks...I like that, "Own you"...Lol

**Yea, I read that and agreed, as to why my phone is back at the store.

***So there in lies the 800, 1700 jargon...?  So without being so techno, in laymens terms, this phone was made to work on the NV (LTE) network, and not the current legacy network??  However , that being the case, why is there a CDMA only option, is that the legacy network? or part and parcel of the NV network? 

So in some areas where 3G was weak to begin with (where I am) this phone's current reception issues are exacerbated by the fact that they are in transition?  But what if there is no transition in my area and everything is statud quo?  The phone is still the issue and not able to receive a signal? So it isn't picking up the legacy network like they thought is should have?

Wizard

Since I live and travel in WiMax coverage areas I never considered the 3G only Sprint version of the iPhone 4S.  I tried going to the GN (which is 3G only until LTE is up) but it wouldn't even work as a phone most of the time so back it went.  I'd already sold my flaky SGS2 so I bought a used EVO Design 4G since I am traveling overseas next year I figured I could use a World phone.  It was my first exposure to Sense and I have come to prefer it over TouchWiz.  Pity Domestic Sim cards don't work in it (I hope the International versions do when I get there). 

Anyway, as much as I want a new phone I'm waiting to see what happens with all these issues.  I do enjoy troubleshooting.  Perhaps I can convince a co-worker to get one of those fancy LTE devices just so we can run some tests. 

Cheers,

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat