cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receive Signal Strength

Journeyman

Re: Receive Signal Strength

You're wrong. My EVO LTE won't work near the towers in a specific area. As soon as I go down the road 2 miles on other towers, calls come through as expected. It does not receive calls. 100 percent of the time in the full bar, under tower problem areas. Fact.

GrandMaster

Panzer06 wrote:

Since I live and travel in WiMax coverage areas I never considered the 3G only Sprint version of the iPhone 4S.  I tried going to the GN (which is 3G only until LTE is up) but it wouldn't even work as a phone most of the time so back it went.  I'd already sold my flaky SGS2 so I bought a used EVO Design 4G since I am traveling overseas next year I figured I could use a World phone.  It was my first exposure to Sense and I have come to prefer it over TouchWiz.  Pity Domestic Sim cards don't work in it (I hope the International versions do when I get there). 

Anyway, as much as I want a new phone I'm waiting to see what happens with all these issues.  I do enjoy troubleshooting.  Perhaps I can convince a co-worker to get one of those fancy LTE devices just so we can run some tests. 

Cheers,

same here. im still holding strong until i see some changes in how these phones are working out for people. ditto with the troubleshooting as well. currently im trying to get the guy with 3 great working LTEVO's and one that is far bellow standards to go through a side by side and check everything from PRL numbers to whatever else he can find that is different than his...both are within the same area and not far off from each other so i would think the PRL would be the same..even have him run either the app you were talking about above or the opensignal one im running on both phones and see what he gets.

if memory serves his area hasnt had any NV going on...so since all the phones are running on the same exact towers..something else must be doing it.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

markie2000 wrote:

You're wrong. My EVO LTE won't work near the towers in a specific area. As soon as I go down the road 2 miles on other towers, calls come through as expected. It does not receive calls. 100 percent of the time in the full bar, under tower problem areas. Fact.

Huh?  I'm wrong?  Bout what?

Btw, for the record, I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong...Hehe

I never said my Ex-new LTE never worked, it worked in some areas and it didn't work in others.  WiFi worked great.

What I did say , and I have posted in the other threads, is that the new LTE didn't work in areas that the OEVO did work , even with a poor signal.  At work my OEVO is sitting next to me and has a signal (poor but has one) , the new EVO had NONE sitting in the same spot on the same desk...as well as some other areas that I frequent, friend's house, Etc, where the OEVO could muster up a signal the new EVO was dead.  There were many places that the new EVO worked fine, but still had a weaker signal than the OEVO. My home for example. 

GrandMaster

markie2000 wrote:

then your problem is tower related in that one area. heck that one area where youre having the issues can have a boatload of bad towers that are all pushing you to one decent working tower...that everyone in that area is now trying to use..

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Wizard

Now if you live in Atlanta and parts of Texas you can see if your LTE device works properly once LTE service is active because on 15 July 2012 LTE goes live in Sprint's first few markets. 

http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=2319

Official word was finally announced today.  I can't wait to hear from everyone. 

Cheers,

Journeyman

Fireguy,

My current theory is that signal issues are a combination of the older technology towers and/or oversubscription of towers as users are forced to other towers as towers are upgraded and the weaker antenna power in the new devices.  I think once the new tower tech is rolled out people will see as strong or stronger signal than their OGEvo's like some describe.  What do you think?

GrandMaster

With the current phones, sure. The LTEVO in some cases sure. But for some in the same exact area I'm thinking its actually phone related. Especially for some that have traded the phone in and now dont have any issues.

Journeyman

Ahh, I guess I missed some of those posts where a new phone fixed it, unless the tower in question happened to be upgraded when the phone was exchanged.  Unlikely, if a lot of people are saying replacement phones work better.

Journeyman

Hey guys and gals,

The replacement SG3 didn't help.  I have switched back the iPhone 4S which doesn't have the receive problem (I know, I know.  Please don't flame me for the Apple).

Note, you can see the 10 to 15 dB drop in signal strength when you place the SG3 in your hand (like you would be using it).  Give it a minute or two to update when it is sitting by itself, then pick it up and watch the signal strength.  The phone's antenna is right up against your hand.

From Apps: Settings: About device: Status: Signal strength

Note, when I went to a LTE phone, I couldn't use the website for the ESN swap.  I had to call in.  Then when I switched back, I couldn't use the website for the ESN swap.  I had to call in!  Both times they told me they had to change my plan on their end, even though the plan would appear the same to me (same options, same price).  They also seem to billing me $36 each time!!!  I bought the SG3 w/o contract (full-price, was going to sell my iPhone).  I don't get it ...

And long story short about reactivating the iPhone.  It took 3 calls before I was instructed manual programming is not possible for iPhone (Sprint had changed my MSID in trying to debug why the SG3 wasn't working as well).  Must do full reset on iPhone for activation -- and that worked.

-g00b

GrandMaster

Dont get me wrong. The actual problem is still unknown. But in some cases changing to a new phone fixed their issue.

Journeyman

My husband just got the Samsung galaxy III and he is having the same issue's with the signal.  He gets little to none in the same places the HTC Evo 3G got excellant signal.  I am having the same problem with my HTC EVO 4G LTE.  Little to no signal in places my HTC Evo 3G worked great. I am so disappointed.

Wizard

I feel terrible for you folks.  It's one thing to have poor 3G data performance but quite another to be unable to make and receive calls (or texts).  These are PHONES, they should function as such first and foremost and to release a PHONE that does not work as a PHONE for whatever reason is just poor form.  While these issues don't impact everyone with these new devices it is certainly prevelant enough that Sprint should make some sort of statement on the issue. This would be particularly true if the very nature of upgrading the towers but not activating the new services is somehow to blame.  Of course since no one is able to highlight a single cause for all the issues it is somewhat difficult to justify buying one of these new LTE capable phones. 

Cheers,

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat