cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S3 Screen comes on when I receive text messages

Journeyman

S3 Screen comes on when I receive text messages

Every time I get a text message the screen comes on.  How do I make it not do this?  It's enough that I get a notification sound or vibration and also the little blinker light comes on.  That's enough.  I don't need the screen turning on.  How do I turn this setting off?

16 REPLIES 16
GrandMaster

Re: S3 Screen comes on when I receive text messages

are you using the stock messaging app or a 3rd party one? either way go into the notifications and most likely you'll have a setting in there that will stop that.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

stock messaging app.  There is no setting to stop it.

GrandMaster

Its gotta be something with notifications. I have access to another S3 and the screen doesn't pop on when it gets a text. It could also be something to do with the texting app settings.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Even with the latest software update, this still happens.  Screen comes on whenever I receive text message.

GrandMaster

sorry..havent had a chance to get ahold of the mother bee's phone as of yet lol..again its gotta be something within the settings that will turn that off.

Journeyman

Mine has done this from day 1 since I got it (over 3 months ago). I think I've had 3 updates since I've had the phone and none have removed this.

Personally, I like that it does this, because I usually have my phone in front of me with the ringer off, so I have never looked for a way to get it to stop.

I just looked now and there doesn't seem to be anything in settings to get it to not do this.

Just a thought:

I use face recognition as my screen unlock, have you tried using the other unlock methods (pin, swipe, or none) to see if it does this with those??

Journeyman

Yeah, I agree there is nothing in the settings to make this stop.

I don't use face recognition, I use the pattern thing...so I don't think that's the problem.  But thanks for the suggestion.

Journeyman

When I first got my S3 it didn't turn the screen on when I got a text but starting a few weeks ago it does it everytime and I hate it. Those couple seconds the phone cuts on it's wasting battery power. I haven't been able to find a way to stop it. They need a better update for this phone. There has been multiple problems since the most recent update.

fireguy_6364 wrote:

Its gotta be something with notifications. I have access to another S3 and the screen doesn't pop on when it gets a text. It could also be something to do with the texting app settings.

I agree that it has to be something in settings. I set my phone to notify me with a ring tone when I get a text but the only other thing that happens is the blue LED light flashes (the screen does not come on).  I'm going to look into this further but it might be a topic on another forum like XDA Developers etc.

Journeyman

Everyone keeps saying it's a setting but no one can seem to provide the location of the setting and the proper setting to set it at so this doesn't happen.  There is no setting that changes this, that I can find.  If someone could please point me to the setting, I would like to change it so my phone's screen does not come on everytime I receive a message.

Sprint Employee

Hello jimmygr02, Do you have any messaging apps installed from the Play Store?

No longer working Community Response.
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat