cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Dive: Free lost device locator and data protector is disabled

Journeyman

Samsung Dive: Free lost device locator and data protector is disabled

I have a feeling that this is a Sprint doing since they have their own "Find my device" paid service they'd like you to participate in, but Samsung offers a locate, lock, and wipe application for free.  It's called Samsung Dive and from their site on the Galaxy S3 we enable it through Security -> Personal ->Find my Mobile -> Remote Controls.

http://static.samsungdive.com/web/share/images/help/user_gallaxy2_img02_16.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Re: Samsung Dive: Free lost device locator and data protector is disabled

Having spoken with Samsung it appears that this is not allowed in the US presently.  Again I'm sure there is absolutely no connection whatsoever with Sprint's Lookout and Family Locator apps (Part of Sprint Guardian) for only $15.00 a month being offered on this device, and the fact that, like the wifi hotspot built in, they'd rather charge for it.

Wizard

Lookout location finder is free.  The premium version with wipe capability is extra through google play and is a one time fee not monthly.  You don't have to buy sprints bundled version. 

Cheers,

Journeyman

I dont have this option present on my phone ? How do I make the find my mobile tab present ?

Wizard

I downloaded Lookout from Google Play and did not pay for the premium version.  Once it was installed and setup (you create a free account with your e-mail) I logged into lookout's site. https://www.mylookout.com/home and the find my phone feature was available. 

Cheers,

Journeyman

This is another clear example of Sprint blocking the native applications on the phones in order to charge the customers with its own versions of the software.

This should be illegal.

But I guess they have plenty of lobbysts that can make it happen.

Wizard

Adrian, read the thread before you post. Sprint has a free app for locating a phone. It's called Lookout. From the web, you can find your phone's current location, cause the phone speaker to blast a high-pitched note (they call that feature "siren", or something like that), but the killer [free] feature is called Signal Flare. Suppose you lose your phone, and the battery gradually runs down. Lookout will wake up when the battery gets below a certain point, and it will notify the Lookout service of its location. That way, if you happen to lose your phone and can't find it before the battery dies, you still have a chance to find out where it is. You also get backup and virus protection free. Very cool.

Journeyman

Thank you Mavka, and my apologies for not researching more on Lookout before posting my answer.

I'm also aware of some other 3rd party applications that work as well as Dive and don't charge for remote wipe or control (Lookout does charges for remote wipe)

...but still the original question was:

Why is Dive blocked in the US?  (It's included with most Samsung phones anywhere else).

What is Sprints official answer?

As a final though I'll say that It's really unfortunate that carriers in the US have so much control over the devices.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This must be 'CARRIER' specific and not 'U.S.' specific since I have two WiFi only Samsung Tablets registered with Samsung in the U.S. and they both show up in Samsung DIVE where I have all of the wonderful features. Take a very close look at that last feature since no other service I know of can do it. The 'Unlock my screen' feature has been a 'get out of jail' option when I have messed up the screen lock setting on my Tablets. If I ever put my S3 in screen lock oblivion, I would have to perform a factory reset since the S3 doesn't appear on Samsung Dive with access to this 'Unlock my screen' feature. Available on Samsung Dive: Locate my mobile; Lock my mobile; Ring my mobile; Wipe my mobile; Unlock my screen.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat