cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S III Camera Shutter Sound

Highlighted
Journeyman

Samsung Galaxy S III Camera Shutter Sound

What can be done to change this crazy policy that it seems that only SPRINT asked for???   When I'm taking a picture I think I have the right to shut the sound off and keep if it if I want too!!! I have had this service for more than 9yrs now and it seems that SPRINT could care less about what their CUSTOMERS THINK AND WANT!!! WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO DOWN LOAD A CAMERA APP JUST TO BE ABLE TO USE THAT TO TURN THE SOUND OFF!!!! SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE AND NOW!!!

21 REPLIES
Wizard

Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Camera Shutter Sound

There is a gent that made a way to add a camera shutter sound toggle with just a few simple clicks. I'm try to dig it up and give you the simple instructions.  Screenshot_2012-12-22-14-24-43.png

Journeyman

I was able to make the option available on a Galaxy S3, but only after rooting the device and changing one of the config files. There's a article about where to find it and change it - on the XDA forums, I believe. If you want to go that route let me know and I'll dig out the article.

Wizard

shonsheka1,

Introduced by New York representative Peter King, it is called the Camera Phone Predator Alert Act and it looks to protect children by making all cell phone cameras audible when taking pictures. This policy is another example of Sprint’s ongoing commitment to privacy when it comes to mobile device usage. We will not be the only service provider that will make this change. This does not affect any 3rd party camera apps.

Victor G.

Social Media Care.

Journeyman

That is ridiculous!

That bill is not mandatory. So far, none of the other carriers and camera manufacturers have implemented it.

Why is Sprint commited to the privacy of the general public and not their users?

What about introducing an 'Act' to protect the sleep of the children when their parents want to take some nice pictures.

(I mean, that shutter sound is LOUD! It can wake up a drunken sailor.)

EDITED:

The bill never passed.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/111/hr414

So, I want a software update (and an apology) from Sprint.

Message was edited by: AdrianAbonce - Updated

So let me get this straight:

You want Sprint to apologize to you for taking a proactive approach (unlike most companies with privacy issues, Facebook is a prime example of poor privacy), when legislation was in process, to protect the privacy of minors from voyeur sexual predators? For not also blocking your ability to install 3rd party applications to add this feature or alternate camera applications to utilize? For not attempting to prevent your from rooting your device and adjusting a config file to enable this feature?

You probably aren't going to get an official apology for Sprint taking a proactive approach to a privacy issue that people brought up publically even before the legislation started being debated in multiple state legislatures and on the national level. There were posts in the Community here (And Buzz About Wireless before it was merged into Sprint.com a few years ago) about privacy concerns with the shutter sound being silenced for the exact reasons stated above.

If not being able to silence the shutter sound out of the box is a breaking point for you to choose a different carrier, I personally think you should rethink your priorities for how you choose a mobile phone carrier. Camera shutter sound wouldn't even be on my list of concerns if I were considering which company to go with. I can't possibly fathom why people are so angry about a shutter sound that can easily be bypassed instead with 3rd party applications or modifications. Personally, I think it is the beauty of Android that you can even do such a thing in the first place and customize your phone the way you want (unlike iOS, Blackberry and Windows Phone), not just the way the manufacturer allows you to.

Wizard

Also a 1 click way to do it without rooting too. I'll dig it up as well for the non-rooters

Journeyman

Yes Hacyoncmdr123, I would like an apology. Here is why:

Because that "proactive approach" was taken BEFORE the legislation was passed. And even now that the bill is dead, Sprint is the only carrier that kept that practice.

Let's face it, if a sexual predator wants to take a picture in silence it would use any of the other methods available. So why I have to have the aggravation for his/her actions? Why don't just ban all the cameras on the phones? It makes not sense, and THAT'S WHY the bill went dead.

And as you say there are posts everywhere about that privacy issue, but there ara elso tons of post by users that aren't happy about the shutter sound. The Note 2 came with the option to silence the shutter (3 years after that bill went dead)  and Sprint decided to block it. Why?

Finally, it's not just the shutter issue what makes a person choose a carrier or another, but it adds to the list.

And I agree completely with your words: "it's the beauty of Android that you can customize your phone the way YOU WANT"... but in this case, Sprint is NOT letting me do it.

Journeyman

Yea that is dumb for whoever it was to disable being able to disable the shutter sound on your phone. I came from the mytouch 4g on tmobile which had this option and a more advanced phone like the Galaxy S3 to be missing this is silly. Even the logic behind the bill is silly

AdrianAbonce wrote:

And I agree completely with your words: "it's the beauty of Android that you can customize your phone the way YOU WANT"... but in this case, Sprint is NOT letting me do it.

Sprint is not stopping you from installing any of the 3rd party camera application. Sprint does not lock down our phone bootloaders (unless the manufacturer chooses to do it on their own accord, Sprint does not require it like some other carriers) to prevent isntalling custom ROMs. In fact, Sprint will even still work on phones that have been determined to be rooted. Sprint will not support phones with custom ROMs/software, but simply rooting your stock phone does not void your Sprint service and repair options.

There are alternate camera apps. There is a one-click "fix" to add this back that has been posted previously in this thread by another customer I believe. You can also root your device and modify the system configuration file to add this. Sprint does not stop you from doing any of these things. The stock application as it comes fro mthe box does not allow this capability, that is the ONLY limitation, there are several other methods of accomplishing the same task with a silent shutter.