cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S3 Camera Shutter Sound

Highlighted
Journeyman

Samsung Galaxy S3 Camera Shutter Sound

Am I missing something here?  I went into my camera settings and I can't turn the shutter sound off on the camera... not even when the phone is on silent.  Why is this?  And why can the Galaxy S3s on other carrier turn the shutter sound off?

54 REPLIES 54
Highlighted
Journeyman

I, too, have an animal the is very sensitive to noises, and this actually angers me. Looks like I'll be rooting my device so I can mute the camera noise.

Highlighted
Journeyman

All I have to say to Sprint is this is dumb dumb DUMB. My only problem with this is, why ONLY Samsung phones? You can turn off the iPhone, LG, and HTC phone shutter sound so this is BS Sprint and your policy is a joke.

Highlighted
Journeyman

SPRINT, for the love of God, come up with an update soon that offers the choice to disable the camera shutter sound, and catch up with normal thinking that most other carriers of smartphones have. Get rid of those with much time on their hands who make silly decisions with effects that are obviously not well received.  I have not desire to seek out exotic solutions to the shutter noise problem that shouldn't be there in the first place.  Get lawyers who aren't afraid of their own shadows, and tech administrators who aren't so intimidated of them. I am disturbed by the thinking that created this Sprint choice!

Highlighted
Master

Newer Sprint smartphones require the camera shutter to be on. Phones such as the EVO LTE do not have this toggle switch either, I do not have an iPhone handy to check, but Apple handles all software for the iPhone devices entirely, on all carriers. Old phones released prior to this policy being implemented are exempt because of the personel cost of going back through and updating and testing them for a small change.

There are a ton of options available in the Google Play Store that will achieve this for people that desire the option to turn off the shutter sound. The stock applications will not allow this due to previously mentioned policy regarding privacy and potential voyeur behavior, this likely isn't gonig to change any time soon. Sprint does not prevent you from utilizing an alternative application availble for your phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

What alternative apps will acieve this? I've tried downloading a couple and the shutter sound still stays on and I can never find an option to turn it off. This is definately on the list of the most annoying things about this phone.

Highlighted
Master

I downloaded "Camera ICS" personally. It's pretty much just a ported Ice Cream Sandwich stock camera app.

Highlighted
Journeyman

i would have to agree with everyone, this is quite lame.  so the phones make a camera shutter sound now so people know that you are taking a picture.  would good does that do, the picture has already been taken.

i have however read that this may become a federal mandate for all phones like what was previously stated

Highlighted
Journeyman

That reasoning is absurd, especially since the supreme court has already ruled that there is ZERO expectation of privacy while in public, not to mention the MILLIONS of video cameras deployed by govt all over the US. Of course that only applies to citizens since those who make, or enforce, the law believe those same laws do not apply to them.

halcyoncmdr123 wrote:

If the many laws that have been floated about through Congress over the last few years are any indication. This may end up being a federal requirement. Many members of Congress have shown that they want to add this requirement to protect people's privacy. The same exact reasons that Sprint has this policy, primarily to prevent voyeurs from using phone cameras with silent shutters to take pictures of people without their consent.

Highlighted
Wizard

@ncdogg

It varies from phone to phone.  On my old Motorola Razor I couldn't silence the camera, but on my Samsung Epic allows me to silence the camera, but as stated throughout this thread that is currently not possible (without root or 3rd party app) on the S3.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So, it is OK to download an app to silence the camera, but not the inherent app.

Sorry, but this is a messed up policy. It is a bummer that we have to use round about methods to get what we want. Taking pictures at on the golf course or receitals are great examples for the need to silence the shutter. The people who want to take pictures they shouldn't will find a way to do it anyway.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You can't blame Sprint for complying with a federal mandate, but what makes this a particularly stupid idea (you gotta love our government) is that the average American is caught on camera several times a day already: at ATMs, on public transportation, driving through intersections, entering stores, in parking lots, etc. Depending upon where you live, you can have your picture taken hundreds of times over the course of just a few hours. How is that NOT an invasion of privacy? But those of us who want to use our cameras to take photos at weddings or memorials, of sleeping babies or pets, or as required by our employers, are screwed. Nice.

Highlighted
Journeyman

RacerFX, you make an EXCELLENT point: People with ill intentions will ALWAYS and EASILY find a way to do the wrong thing. Laws only keep honest people honest--they do NOTHING to prevent bad folks from doing bad things. It's the same with gun laws...take guns away from honest, law-abiding citizens and suddenly you have a society where ONLY the bad guys have them (because they WIL have them). Who wants to live like that?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat