cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S3 Camera Shutter Sound

Highlighted
Journeyman

Samsung Galaxy S3 Camera Shutter Sound

Am I missing something here?  I went into my camera settings and I can't turn the shutter sound off on the camera... not even when the phone is on silent.  Why is this?  And why can the Galaxy S3s on other carrier turn the shutter sound off?

54 REPLIES 54
Highlighted
Journeyman

Install SQLite Editor and Root Explorer. Using Root Explorer modify the /etc/Volume.db file and change the value of the associated shutter sound to 0,0 (Make sure you have root access and to mount as R/W from top of Root Explorer window)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Another thing I don't get is that if this is federally mandated why aren't other carriers complying?? People who have the same phone with different carriers are able to silence their shutter. Way to go Sprint in deciding to supposedly follow a regulation that only ticks your customers off! And they wonder why they can't retain customers. Poor coverage, poor service, poor decision making geez what can they get right??

Highlighted
Master

msjamiet wrote:

Another thing I don't get is that if this is federally mandated why aren't other carriers complying?? People who have the same phone with different carriers are able to silence their shutter. Way to go Sprint in deciding to supposedly follow a regulation that only ticks your customers off! And they wonder why they can't retain customers. Poor coverage, poor service, poor decision making geez what can they get right??

It is not currently federally mandated, but there have been numerous bills already being introduced in Congress over the last several years to make it a requirement.

In my personal opinion, it doesn't make sense since an expectation of privacy is out the window in a public place, but I can see where they are coming from with the requirement in regards to potential voyeurs and pedophiles (the primary reason being levied for the requirement in the first place). And in my opinion, downloading an alternative app isn't difficult, costs nothing, and doesn't require hardly any extra space on the phone. Others will have differing opinions, but I don't really care one way or another personally, I have too much other stuff to do in my daily life than to worry about whether the built in camera app makes a sound or not.Just my humble opinion.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think it is ridiculous you cannot silence the shutter sound but that is my two cents. I did download two apps called SILENT CAMERA that works quite well even has continuous shot and also SILENT CAM which I havent used much but still prefer using the SIII camera 90% of the time.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Dear Sprint,

While I appreciate you trying to keep me safe from a stalker, serial killer, or other madman, this policy is completely rediculous.  If you can download another camera app that doesn't have sound, don't you think that is EXACTLY what stakers and pedophiles are going to do?  Meanwhile, the rest of us normal, paying customers are embarassed at graduations, weddings, recitals . . . not only are we embrarassed, we are PISSED off at Sprint.  You treat your entire client-base as though we are ALL criminals who need to make 'alerting' noises.

Some of us have pets that are startled by the sound, and if I want to quietly take a picture of my sleeping baby, well forget that!  The camera is one of the main reasons that I dedcied to choose this phone; had I known about the noise, I would have thought twice. 

Don't worry, Sprint, whenever someone says, "Oh wow, that shutter is really loud," we, your paying customers, who are stuck in your contracts will respond with, "Yeah, it's Sprint's fault. They SUCK. Don't EVER use them."  Actually, I'll start by posting it on Facebook.

I sincerely hope that you have heard enough complaints about your absurd policy to reconsider and have the option to mute the camera shutter sound.  Leave the harassment of pedophiles and stalkers to the police.

Sincerely,

One of your many non-criminal customers

Highlighted
Wizard

halcyoncmdr123 wrote:

Others will have differing opinions, but I don't really care one way or another personally, I have too much other stuff to do in my daily life than to worry about whether the built in camera app makes a sound or not.Just my humble opinion.

Well good for you, but guess what, you aren't the millions of people that Sprint serves.  Those people want different things and maybe some don't have anything else better to do than worry about camera shutter sounds.  Here's your role, you are a CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE for Sprint, which means you try to help your customers any way you can, and if there is a resounding issue like people wanting to silence the SUPER LOUD Camera shutter, then GUESS WHAT? you pass that message on to those that matter because the customer always should come first.  Not your own personal opinion of the matter.  True customer service is gone these days, replaced by je.rkoff representatives that just say they can't do anything about it.  We spend a lot of money with Sprint and that deserves a better response than what you gave.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You're all getting angry at the wrong people. It isn't Sprint's sole decision; it is the Federal Government's mandate. Sprint is just one of the first carriers to comply. And insulting people is NOT the way to resolve your problems. If you think customer service reps are terrible at their jobs, it's only because they have to deal with horrible people like you all day.  They don't enjoy not being able to help you. They are usually powerless to do anything about your issues and are as frustrated as you are by it. So try being nice. It really does work better than spewing vile nastiness WHEN anything can even be done about your problem. In this case, Sprint can't help you. Go get angry at the Federal Government if you simply must sceam. Good luck to you on that.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You're all getting angry at the wrong people. It isn't Sprint's sole decision; it is the Federal Government's mandate. Sprint is just one of the first carriers to comply. And insulting people is NOT the way to resolve your problems. If you think customer service reps are terrible at their jobs, it's only because they have to deal with horrible people like you all day.  They don't enjoy not being able to help you. They are usually powerless to do anything about your issues and are as frustrated as you are by it. So try being nice. It really does work better than spewing vile nastiness WHEN anything can even be done about your problem. In this case, Sprint can't help you. Go get angry at the Federal Government if you simply must sceam. Good luck to you on that.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Highlighted
Wizard

It isn't a federal law. They're making a poor guess that it will be.

If the many laws that have been floated about through Congress over the last few years are any indication. This may end up being a federal requirement. Many members of Congress have shown that they want to add this requirement to protect people's privacy. The same exact reasons that Sprint has this policy, primarily to prevent voyeurs from using phone cameras with silent shutters to take pictures of people without their consent.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is just ridiculous, if someone is creepy enough to be a voyeur and take pics of ppl without their permission, don't you think that they'll just root their phone?  Once again it's the ppl who follow the law that are getting the poo end of the stick.

Highlighted
Journeyman

They don't have to root the phone.  They can use the facebook camera app which doesn't make a sound.  Or download many other camera apps that are even more discrete by using a volume button for trigger instead of touchcreen.  The logic here is stupid beyond belief.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat