cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S3 will be STUCK in 3G until Sprint switches to 4G LTE.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 will be STUCK in 3G until Sprint switches to 4G LTE.

As stated in multiple posts ... You are being charged the 10.00 premium data fee correct, and you have a 4G device?
Why .. Then if you have 4G and are being the charged 10.00 ... and I have a iPhone 4s ... 3G device .. am I being charged the 10.00 premium data fee?
Because, its your Data plan charge .. not because you have a 4g or 3g device .. it is the "DATA PLAN" billed to you ..

There is no EXTRA DATA CHARGE for a 4G service...

You all need to understand that, but then you probably will say that I am lying, or that its bull crap ..

You are not paying an EXTRA 10.00 on top of the 10.00 premium data fee

As of like Jan. 2011 ... this is how they bill data ...

They took it out of the main plan, and charged it indvidually ...

Gesh.

Feel free to switch to verizon, and pay for 40.00 in GB ... when you Wont even prolly use 2GB ... So then should you be entitled to a credit for the other 2GB that you didnt use? .. No...

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 will be STUCK in 3G until Sprint switches to 4G LTE.

This " 4g" fee has taken on a life of itself. This must be what it was like when people thought the world was flat and wouldn't accept the reality that it was round .

Wizard

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 will be STUCK in 3G until Sprint switches to 4G LTE.

rick.spencer wrote:

This " 4g" fee has taken on a life of itself. This must be what it was like when people thought the world was flat and wouldn't accept the reality that it was round .

Or when people didn't understand, nor want to understand that there's not an extra $10 fee for 4G. I bet people are going around telling their friends "when they turn on 4G here in ____ (City), I'm going to be charged another $10 fee on top of the $10 data fee"...and folks are actually believing it.

Wizard

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 will be STUCK in 3G until Sprint switches to 4G LTE.

rick.spencer wrote:

This " 4g" fee has taken on a life of itself. This must be what it was like when people thought the world was flat and wouldn't accept the reality that it was round .

Let's be fair about this.  It took on a life of its own because Sprint did such a poor job of explaining it to their employees and customers when it first was added onto the OG Evo and whatever that other 4G WIMAX phone was at the time.  Everyone, including the Sprint employees, referred to it as a 4G charge for having access to their new 4G WIMAX network.  It wasn't until they wanted to start applying it to smartphones across the board that it was rebranded as a data plan fee. 

Two years later (today), there should no longer be any confusion and I agree with the rest of your sentiment.  It's now $10 for smartphone data regardless of whether it's a WIMAX, 3G or LTE phone.  Period.

Journeyman

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 will be STUCK in 3G until Sprint switches to 4G LTE.

I know that... my point is Why pay the same for less. If they tell u, that u can get a bmw or a kia for the same price. which one would you pick??.

Sprint screw up!! by thinking going on WiMax now changing to 4lte. and we suffer. I mean 4g is the way to go now... like who uses dial up now? eh? is either cable or fios... only apple lovers went for the 4s because its apple but 5 is coming out, and you won't be able to use the full of it untill they roll out 4g. and nobody knows when.

Other carriers are selling the same device but they have the network to support it, meaing 4g..

don't be a sprint lover

Wizard

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 will be STUCK in 3G until Sprint switches to 4G LTE.

phonenator wrote:

I know that... my point is Why pay the same for less. If they tell u, that u can get a bmw or a kia for the same price. which one would you pick??.

Sprint ***** up!! by thinking going on WiMax now changing to 4lte. and we suffer. I mean 4g is the way to go now... like who uses dial up now? eh? is either cable or fios... only apple lovers went for the 4s because its apple but 5 is coming out, and you won't be able to use the full of it untill they roll out 4g. and nobody knows when.

Other carriers are selling the same device but they have the network to support it, meaing 4g..

don't be a sprint lover

Uhm..

Other carriers are selling the same device but they have the network to support it, meaing 4g..

NO.

T-Mobile doesn't have a 4G service (at least not a TRUE 4G service.)...

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/4G-Where-Does-Your-Wireless-Provider-Stand-119645

T-Mobile, similar to Sprint, does not currently offer true 4G. T-Mobile’s current "4G" is the same as the fake 4G that AT&T tried to introduce to customers before they started their true 4G rollout, which is essentially a beefed up HSPA+.  Speeds are similar to Sprint’s WiMax, topping out at around 10mbps down and 2mbps up. T-Mobile is expected to rollout its 4G network starting in 2013 and is expected to reach the "vast majority" of the top 50 markets, whatever that means. I think what that means in non-corporate speak is that it will be similar to their 3G coverage. However, if you are in a market the T-Mobile covers well, the price is hard to beat. That is assuming they don’t increase price for 4G.

AT&T, compared to Verizon,

comes in second place, I’d say that it is a very distant second. Compared to Verizon’s 230 markets, AT&T has a grand total of 32 markets (AT&T dropped us a line to state the company actually serves 38 markets with the recent addition of numerous markets including New Orleans, Baton Rouge and Naples). The good news however is that AT&T seems to be on par, and often a tad bit faster than Verizon. The average seems to be around 40-50mbps download and anywhere from 10-25mbps upload.

Perhaps that is so that they can keep claiming that they're the "fastest network" because they sure as heck can't claim they have more coverage…yet anyway. It could also be a consequence of there not being as many people on AT&Ts network as Verizon’s. AT&T recently expanded to 11 new markets upon the introduction of the new iPad, and plans to cover a good majority of its network footprint by 2013. If you live in a smaller city, it might be wise to jump to Verizon if you really, really want 4G. Otherwise, you might be waiting a year or more for AT&T to bring it to your city.

Verizon is the only "true" 4G that has any coverage at all...so enjoy that "new, improved Shared Data plan"...

ALL of the carriers, with the exception of Verizon, have roll-out schedules that tout 2013 as being when they finish their work... A year from now you can come back and maybe say that .....

Other carriers are selling the same device but they have the network to support it, meaing 4g..

Other carriers are selling the same device but they have the network to support it, meaing 4g..

The article says this about Sprint:

The good news is that Sprint is aggressively planning its 4G rollout, which is expected to debut sometime this month and initially cover 123 million Americans, and completing the rollout by 2013 covering 250 million Americans. Sprint is the one to watch in my opinion. If they can deliver on their rollout promises, offer competitive speeds, and keep unlimited data (or at least offer a more reasonable cap than 2GB), they might come out on top.

But for now, you can't make claims to that and it be factual. If you're going to make these statements, at least try and make sure that what you say can be backed up with facts...

And Sprint isn't advertising and using the 4G on the SGS3 as a selling point in advertising...the phone is being advertised on it's ability to do a number of things, but 4G speed is being advertised as a work that isn't completed. It's not like Sprint is using false advertising and steering people to believe it's something that exists in fairytale land...they are upfront and saying what is happening with the network...which is more than I can say for that pink girl on a motorcycle who whizzes by the camera at "light speed" because she's on some "really fast network that they call 4G but isn't really 4G, it just uses HSPA+42 IN SOME AREAS. If anything, T-MO would be false advertising for pulling the same thing that AT&T did, as the dslreport listed above...claiming it's 4G when it's really not.

Sprint, as a company, could have the fastest network on the planet, have the greatest lineup of phones, and be the best-priced and most competitive cellular company there is in business...and people would still find some reason to complain about SOME part of the service/phones/coverage. It wouldn't matter if they had 5-bar service and 6G data in every city there is in the entire USA... "can please some of the people some of the time, but never all of the people all of the time."

And it aint got sh*** to do with being a Sprint lover...it's got everything to do with being practical and remembering the days before everyone had to have a phone stuck in their ear 15 hours per day, or life just wasn't complete (or staring endlessly at a screen while typing little letters to someone)...

Life isn't going to suddenly stop or the world stop spinning because a cell phone provider doesn't live up to everyone's high standards (standards of the cell phone providers of yester-year, right? Like, twenty years ago when cell phone providers were less than home phone, had extreme 100gig data speeds, and everyone who had an address could get cell service. Oh, if we could only go back to the good ol days..)

Message was edited by: JonMcR

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 will be STUCK in 3G until Sprint switches to 4G LTE.

I was trying to be fair. When this "4g fee" issue first came up it was because Sprint promoted it that way. I along with a lot of others were ticked off and there were many angry posts written about it. Now, two years, later it has become tiresome. There was a class action suit started in California but I don't believe anything came of it. I sure hope Sprint learned something from this - customers have long memories - despite what their actions indicate ( slowly removing and/or changing terms e.g.. "unlimited hotspot, 25% discount on second accessory, workplace discount on all lines, etc." ).

Wizard

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 will be STUCK in 3G until Sprint switches to 4G LTE.

So Sprint charges a $10 Smartphone data acess fee for having a data-hog on your account (or 2, 3, 7, 8 data hogs)...

Here's an idea, run on over to Verizon and pay $40 for their 2gb of shared data...or to T-mo and pay for being slowed down once you hit their data caps...or AT&T with their verizon-structured shared plans that cost about the same for 2gb...

Not really sure what the complaint is here. Maybe Sprint should just tier than data plan like the others, and cap the speeds, and be exactly like the other carriers so nobody has any room to complain...I mean, you expect for service to be the same price as it was 5-7-10 years ago, when Sprint's obviously getting better 1)coverage, 2)speed, 3)service, 4)and phones in subsidy...and they can't recoup all these costs? Do any of you know what's been going on in the economy? Does anyone know there's been a president making them print money since the day he took office, and the US debt is at 16 TRILLION..which means the dollar today is NO WHERE NEAR what the dollar was worth 5 years ago..and it takes more money today to do the same thing you could do cheaper 5 years back...but Sprint should have crews in multiple cities installing and upgrading towers for the next 1.5 year..increasing the amount of people that can use their service, the speed of their service, and the quality of their service...but that's not worth paying a petty $10 more for having a smartphone that does the things we can do?

And the argument that "I don't get 4G ....so I shouldn't have to pay" is so played. Within the next year, most all of America will see the switch thrown for 4G in their area and they'll gladly start using it without any hesitation...I bet not ONE person calls up Sprint and says "hey, I can get 4G speeds now, can I pay more money for having it???"

Nope, everyone will happily jump to using that 4G radio inside their phones and not say a word, except to complain about how it's not fast enough still..or the phone doesn't cook dinner and wash the dishes..

Really not seeing the viable reason for this complaining...and I'm glad I'm not a Sprint employee and I can say this without repercussion from Sprint --- "Is nobody ever happy? This level of entitlement is rare but it sure does exist...people think they are so entitled to have something and not have to pay anything for it."

Journeyman

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 will be STUCK in 3G until Sprint switches to 4G LTE.

It is about time someone said it correctly....when we all get 4g, we all should be happy...the speeds are amazing...thank you for saying what I have been thinking...

Journeyman

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 will be STUCK in 3G until Sprint switches to 4G LTE.

phonenator wrote:

BS. why would anybody pay for a 4g plan and get 3g services?... Sprint sucks...they should at least give people who buy the phone a monthly discount untill 4g rolls out.

So sprint forced people in non-LTE  areas to upgarde to an LTE phone, and now they should discount their account because they don't have LTE? Rhetorical question actually because last I checked, Sprint doesn't have separate 4g plans. They have various everything plans for smartphones that require a $10 premium data fee.

And to the guy that claims Sprint called it a 4g charge until they started charging it on all smartphone data plans? You're wrong. My work account bills out at about $30k per year. I'm on top of my billing, and I question everything and bought the Evo, Epic and Shift when they first came out. What ill informed sales reps and CS have said  doesn't jive with what Sprint had written. It's easy for CSR and sales reps to make the mistake as the Evo and epic wiere the first 4g phones out there that just so happened to be the first premium android phones they carried with bigger and better screens, more capable processors and of course access to 4g if it is in your area. Hence your'e more likely to spend more time on the internet, utilizing more data than you would on a Hero or Moment. And that was their story long before the Shift actually came out which was before it applied to all smartphones and Instincts.

People need to get over it already. If you think your bill and service are unacceptable, go pay more on Verizon or AT&T. Deal with throttling on T-Mob or go hit the prepaid world. Bitching about the premium data charge at this stage of the game just makes no sense.

Wizard

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 will be STUCK in 3G until Sprint switches to 4G LTE.

crogs wrote:

People need to get over it already. If you think your bill and service are unacceptable, go pay more on Verizon or AT&T. Deal with throttling on T-Mob or go hit the prepaid world. ******** about the premium data charge at this stage of the game just makes no sense.

nail. on. head.

Don't much understand the griping here..it's not like we're paying whornormous amounts for data access on Sprint's network...people can complain all they want about Sprint, but as I see it, they are turning in the right direction and starting the uphill climb to the top. They may never have the numbers in subscribers that other carriers have, but I forsee Sprint having the network and dependability that will far out-do what's out there in other carriers...Anyone who watches something besides Spongebob and keeps up with what they are doing knows that Sprint is making great strides from what they used to be.

Journeyman

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 will be STUCK in 3G until Sprint switches to 4G LTE.

Yes, Sprints 4G is a HUGE joke.  We don't even have 4G in my area yet yet people get charged for it.  My girlfriend pays the $10 fee although she is never able to use it and contantly roams because of really poor connections.  I was issues and ATT iPhone and its a billion times better.  I'm out of contract with Sprint at the moment and am thinking about simply hanging it up and leaving.  My girlfriend is also in the same boat.  Poor connections and you cannot even get on the internet so UNLIMITED data is useless to us.  She will be moving to ATT or Verizon in November.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat