cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S3 will be STUCK in 3G until Sprint switches to 4G LTE.

Journeyman

Samsung Galaxy S3 will be STUCK in 3G until Sprint switches to 4G LTE.

How will Samsung Galaxy SIII switch between 3G & 4G?

“…..Sprint, a carrier that was the first in the U.S. to deploy 4G with WiMax technology, is making the switch to LTE. Unfortunately for the CDMA/EVDO Now Network, that switch is still on-going and Sprint doesn’t yet have 4G LTE deployed. That means Sprint owners who are early adopters of the Galaxy S III will be stuck on 3G CDMA/EVDO speeds. That said, when LTE is available, Sprint’s variant will be able to hop onto 4G LTE and its Galaxy S III is an LTE-ready device waiting for a network.”….

(from http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/06/20/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-4g-showdown-t-mobile-hspa-v-att-lte-vid...)

So when will SPRINT have 4G LTE????  Having a Samsung Galaxy S3 only running on 3G feels like driving a Mercedes Benz on doughnut wheels. 

76 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 will be STUCK in 3G until Sprint switches to 4G LTE.

Journeyman

Thanks for the info.  I work in the city where there is 4G.  When I had my HTC Evo 4G I can use the 4G network and the data connection is really fast.  Now I have the Samsung Galaxy S3 which is a 4G LTE ready phone, it can't connect to the 4G network.  Is it because 4G & 4G LTE is different?

Journeyman

Yes, Sprint's old 4G technology was WiMax, they are now in the process of deploying LTE technology, like Verizon and AT&T.

Journeyman

Correct.  The Samsung Galaxy S3 was buiilt to support 4G LTE technology but it does not support 4G (WiMAX) tech.

Journeyman

I just hope that Sprint will be able to deploy 4G LTE soon to a lot of areas. 

Journeyman

Me too!  I'm in the Tampa market so it looks like they will start going live around August, hopefully.

Wizard

Everyone was so excited about this phone and I knew there would be complaints the very next day.  Sprint is going to be the last to get all of the 4G LTE out.  Sad!!!!!!

Journeyman

That's because some people just don't bother to read and research.  It has been known that the phone would be 3G only for now.  It has been known that the 4G LTE Sprint network wouldn't be up and running until later this yr depending on your market.

I'm still excited for my phone....regardless of delays, availability of 4G LTE, etc...

I think any new product will have complaints as soon as it is available.  Do you think Sprint should have just not offered the Galaxy S3 until the LTE network was set up?  No way.

I'm still very happy I chose to pre-order my S3 and will patiently wait for 4G LTE in my area.

Journeyman

well i guess you got rougly about 14 days to return it or ride out the storm like the rest of us are doing.....thank god i got really good 3g service.....it also shames me to say that i got good 3g service in a 4g lte world.....

Community News

Having trouble posting or viewing your Private Messages? We made an update to the Community registration process which requires you to validate your email, click here to read more about it.