cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S3 will be STUCK in 3G until Sprint switches to 4G LTE.

76 REPLIES
Wizard

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 will be STUCK in 3G until Sprint switches to 4G LTE.

You can join s4gru.com and follow the progress of Sprint's LTE rollout updates. There's not any specific region or area that's getting more focus than others..it's up to the contractors who do the work..

Journeyman

Anyone know when Sprint will be done implementing LTE in densely packed metropolitan areas like Slidell, LA, and start giving us yokels in rural areas like New York City and New Jersey, LTE?

Wizard

It's not interesting to post lies about Sprint robbing you...it's another lie. Sprint isn't robbing you of anything, you agreed to service in exchange for money, you're either getting that service or you aren't. If you aren't then it's your fault for not utilizing the 14-day return policy and finding something that better suits your needs. Coming here and complaining how "sprint is robbing you" just shows a lack of 1) maturity and 2) common sense.

I spent a week in Slidell, Louisiana where Sprint is ACTIVELY deploying 4G LTE, I talked with people ON SITE at a tower near my house yesterday, and I've seen the site acceptances rolling in, Sprint's doing 300+ towers a week with 3G+ upgrades, 4G LTE upgrades, or both 3G+4GLTE ...and that's not localized to just one area. Out of 50 states, Sprint is actively working (Ericsson, Alca-Lu, Samsung) in 40 or more of the 50. I can count 6 states easily that I don't see any work being done, the rest are covered with activity. If you don't like the timeline, no one is forcing you to stay. Bellyaching and complaining won't do you any good, nor will it cause anything to happen any faster than it already is. Just like when Sprint started out, they built their network from the ground....UP. The 3G network was quickly overrun with data-hungry phones once smartphones became the wave of the future, and Sprint's entirely new network they built was struggling. Now Sprint is building ANOTHER network from the ground.....UP....with Network Vision. I guess some people here have built a 4G LTE network entirely from start to finish so you have reason to say something???

If you have any idea what you're talking about, then by all means, post something FACTUAL and useful. Otherwise, do some research and find out the facts before claiming crap like "Sprint is robbing us"....

Journeyman

Thought it would be interesting to dig this ou of the archives. Sprint is robbing us !!!!!!!!

Wizard

Network Vision was supposed to be complete by the end of 2013 so you'll have LTE by then at the very least I'd think.  I'm in FL much of the time as well and you're right it can be annoying to sit waiting for 3G to do something while my LTE Verizon iPad rocks. 

Cheers,

Journeyman

I checked out the list for areas that sprint is working on getting lte up and my city is no where on the map. Im in North central florida, Ocala to be exact. Its an hour and a half from Orlando and Tampa, and I doubt their signal will reach this far. Does that mean im stuck on slow 3g for at least a year or more?

Unlimited data doesnt mean anything if you cant access it in a reasonable timeframe.

eHRPD is entirely network dependent. The only thing your phone has to do with it is support the technology, which LTE requires. Your phone must have LTE enabled as well. Otherwise, eHRPD can be turned on/off at Sprint's desire during testing and rollout. It is quite normal to see eHRPD appear and disappear as the network-side is being tested or maintained.

As for the idle time, I don't have any specific information regarding that. I can say however that once NV is complete, it will pretty much be a moot point. Unlike our competitors, Sprint is upgrading just about every site to LTE. There are a few stragglers in extremely rural areas (less than 100 nationwide) we won't be able to upgrade due to limitations on getting adequate backhaul to the tower, and in some urban areas towers will be skipped if they are too close to another and will interfere.

Journeyman

A very good explanation of the new LTE devices....  The only thing I have noticed is that it seems if you are using a constant 3G feed and you enter a 4G area, it seems that it doesn't click over to 4G until it has some idle time..  This happens for instance when streaming...  it does seem to downgrade without missing a beat (4G to 3G)....  I have pretty much noticed that it has stayed in ehrpd mode on most interstates that are not roaming..   I have also noticed that having LTE on has no impact on battery unlike the old WIMAX just as you said....

crogs wrote:

Just means Orlando is lower on the totem pole to get 4g. So you won't have it locally until your area gets it. If you go under settings, network, mobile networks, network mode; you'll see options for cdma/lte and cdma. If you're in cdma/lte it will connect to LTE if you're in an LTE area. If you're on cdma, you'll stay in cdma. If you know you're not in a 4g area, you should just keep it on cdma.

Unlike the old WiMax devices, most of the LTE devices Sprint has only have a single LTE/CDMA chipset. So having these in LTE/CDMA mdoe versus CDMA only has minimal battery impact. I haven't noticed any difference in battery life having my S3 in LTE/CDMA mode versus CDMA only, and I am in a 3G only area, not even WiMax.

One thing that will be different is if your phone is set to CDMA only, you will not connect to eHRPD to utilize your local 4G core as it comes online it will instead utilize the older 3G switch. Speed differences between the two connections will be negligible, speed bottlenecks are usually at the individual tower, not at the main switch.

Some LTE devices do have separate LTE and CDMA chips (The LG Viper for instance). Those devices will see a negative impact to leaving it in LTE mode when it is unavailable. This is a main reason the older WiMax devices had worse battery life, the phone had to run multiple chipsets at the same time.

Journeyman

Just means Orlando is lower on the totem pole to get 4g. So you won't have it locally until your area gets it. If you go under settings, network, mobile networks, network mode; you'll see options for cdma/lte and cdma. If you're in cdma/lte it will connect to LTE if you're in an LTE area. If you're on cdma, you'll stay in cdma. If you know you're not in a 4g area, you should just keep it on cdma.