cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy s3 Signal Issues

Highlighted
Journeyman

Samsung Galaxy s3 Signal Issues

I just upgraded to the S3 from the iPhone 4s and although I love the S3 I am having issues with my phone signal...NO SIGNAL AT ALL... I never had this problem before. My wife evo has no issues with signal strength at home so it's not my area. Is this a know issues and is there a fix coming...  I have been to the sprint store and called sprint and got know help... What is going on....

242 REPLIES 242
Highlighted
GrandMaster

2GB data plan? you meaning the hot spot? that part confused me a bit

MIZIKE29 wrote:

Ferrel, as far as the costs, its not the 100s I paid for the two phones, iphone 5 and my galaxy S3 that bothered me, its that I bought out the contracts to get the phone early for my daughters bday present, so I paid that extra, plus they charge the extra fees on both phones because there smartphones, and the 2gb data plan I got to use the phones when driving, NONE OF THIS WORKS, thats the extra money I am talking about.  I would have never bought out her contract if I knew the 4G LTE THAT SHOWS IS ACTIVE IN OUR AREA DIDNT WORK.  I would have waited. I also wouldnt be paying extra for smartphones that are not smart if you cant use the 4G LTE and the 3G is worse then our older phones, her iphone 4, and my EVO actually had 4G service.  That is my biggest complaint.  Yes the phones are cheaper with the contract, but you are locked in for 2 years and I bought out the contract, and were charged all these extras that we can not use because the service SUCKS.

To Mikeydoesntlikeit, DONT BLAME THE SAMSUNG GALAXY 3S, yes the radio antenna is not as good as some other phones BUT I HAVE MANY MANY FRIENDS that have the same phone on VERIZON and AT AND T that have 4G everywhere and there 3G is extremely fast, so its not the phone, so just so you know that, it is not the phone it is sprints towers, terrible 3G overcrowding, slow 3g speeds and LIES ABOUT HAVING 4G LTE COVERAGE that is the problem, or just not even having 4G LTE in many places that is the problem here.  Then they want you to use your internet service to use the airave so you can actually use your phone text, phone calls etc in your own house, RIDICULOUS.  And you cant take it with you so your screwed as soon as you leave your house.  Sprint doesnt care OBVIOUSLY or they would have enabled text and calls over wifi which would have saved many of us, and they would discount our bills until you actually have 4G LTE coverage.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree.. Sprint doesn't care about their crappy network. The only way things will get better is for Sprint to have a massive exodus to their competitors. Stockholders will then and only then take notice when they start to lose real money. The same money that we are paying gor crappy 3G and no 4GLTE. I am in San Diego and the entire west coast except gor a few square miles around San Franscisco is only marginal 3G. I cant believe that people put up with it although I have to admin I am one of them. I'm not upgrading any of my family plan phones until my contract is up. I would much rather give my $200 per month to a company that has decent 3G and 4G service.

Highlighted
Master

merlec9200 wrote:

I agree.. Sprint doesn't care about their crappy network. The only way things will get better is for Sprint to have a massive exodus to their competitors. Stockholders will then and only then take notice when they start to lose real money. The same money that we are paying gor crappy 3G and no 4GLTE. I am in San Diego and the entire west coast except gor a few square miles around San Franscisco is only marginal 3G. I cant believe that people put up with it although I have to admin I am one of them. I'm not upgrading any of my family plan phones until my contract is up. I would much rather give my $200 per month to a company that has decent 3G and 4G service.

Sprint is currently in the process of spending billions of dollars replacing the entire 3G network, adding 4G LTE to every tower, removing the 2G Nextel iDEN network and refarming the 800Mhz spectrum from that network to bolster new voice and LTE server and fill in coverage gaps left by the 1900Mhz frequency currently being used.

Every piece of equipment on the towers is being replaced (all cabled, panels, radios, even the actual cabinet itself is being replaced with a new modular system), and the backhaul to get data traffic back to the main network is being upgraded.

At the moment most towers have bundled T1 lines for backhaul (1.5Mbps each, multiplied X-times depending on how much capacity the tower has). The new backhaul is fiber, AAV, or microwave depending on site requirements. The main thing however about the backhaul, is that Sprint is requiring that our vendors provide a minimum 100Mbps connection and that the connection is able to be scaled up as capacity increases. So as the network needs capacity, it will be available to add fairly quickly versus the current system with requiring running new individual T1 lines from the local ILEC.

No other carrier has ever replaced an entire network (at least not in the U.S), and currently no carrier is adding LTE to every tower (they are just deploying for overall coverage, not capacity, to save money). In addition, other LTE network deployments by carriers like Verizon are using older hardware (only capable of LTE release 😎 which will require replacing it again when they want to deploy LTE-Advanced (LTE release 10). Sprint's equipment is already capable of LTE-Advanced so when Sprint is ready to deploy it, it will only require software upgrades to the network itself and devices capable of utilizing it.

Once Network Vision is completed, Sprint's new network will be the most advanced and versatile 3G/4G network in the country. It will be able to scale up as increases in capacity happen, and it will allow for better back-end monitoring on Sprint's part.

In the meantime Ericsson (the vendor that handles Sprint's current network maintenance) is working on so-called "band-aid" fixes in some areas to try and get the current network working better in the interim. All of these "band-aid" fixes will be removed when Network Vision is completed on that tower. Often these fixes only alleviate the issue temporarily as once users notice the network operating better, they begin to use it more again, causing a roller coaster effect of performance. These fixes are a short-term solution to a much larger problem that Network Vision will eliminate entirely.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok so OPTION ONE DONT SELL US PHONES AND SAY YOU HAVE 4G LTE COVERAGE IN YOUR AREA and then dont have it, and need to use horrible worse 3G then before.  TWO, GIVE US A DISCOUNT TO USERS PAYING FOR EXPENSIVE NEW PHONES THAT CAN ONLY USE CRAPPY SLOWER 3G SERVICE.  OPTION THREE.... LET YOUR CUSTOMERS KNOW THAT YOU ARE UPRGRADING LOL TO A PHONE THAT IS SLOWER THEN THE PHONE YOU HAD BEFORE. 

NOT OPTION FOUR.... SELL A BUNCH OF PHONES, CHARGE US ALL THESE EXTRA FEES AND DATA PLANS THAT WE CAN NOT USE, HAVE THE CUSTOMERS PISSED OFF THAT THEY ARE USING A GREAT PHONE THAT IS  A PAPERWEIGHT AND SLOWER THEN THE ONE THEY TRADED IN, AND CASH IN ON EVERYTHING WHILE WE WAIT FOR THIS MIRACLE GREAT NEVER BEFORE DONE UPGRADE OF TOWERS OF SOME MYSTICAL POWER WITH STRANGE  BAND AID FIXES, AND LIE IN YOUR COVERAGE MAPS THAT YOU HAVE 4G LTE SERVICE IN AREAS THAT YOU DO NOT.   That is what SPRINT HAS CHOSEN TO DO. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

That all sounds great and I'm sure it will happen. Sprint has told me that I may not see LTE in San Diego until 2014. Sure, I'll keep paying for the (currently) worst service in the industry. Have you read the dissatisfaction here? I'm being charged and extra $10 per month for two smart phones ($20 total) for data bandwidth that hasn't been here and won't for maybe another year. Sorry the promise of the "Best" network that who knows when will get here doesnt keep too many customers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Oh yeah, and it definitely goes beyond that, I paid and opted for the 2gb data plan to use on the go in my car, to connect to my stereo, stream stations, GPS, maps, locations etc, None of that works on crappy worse then normal 3G service, so you have those extras charges, plus the 36 dollar each phone times 2 activation charges which is BS, plus the 90 plus dollars I paid to buy out the contract to upgrade my daughters iphone 4, then and only then does the 200 plus per phone 400 bux, come into play for the actual phones, so I left with a bill of almost 600 dollars for phones that were pissed off about because we cant use the data, the .01 mb/s, to .17mb/s constant speed tests on supposed 3G that we get, showing we have 4G LTE service on the map, but we dont have it, so yeah what do we have here, just in this thead, 10 pages of posts of pissed off people at there SUPPOSED UPGRADED PHONES.  But the problem is, thats it, were just posting, were stuck in contracts, they got my money, and everyone elses, so they dont care when or if your 4G LTE works, because for every 2 of us that leave, another 5 new people pay the money and jump in not knowing how crappy it is.  So sprint has no motivation to help us, or give us discounts at all.

Highlighted

mizeke29, you sound so pissed off i don't think you'll have any problems getting sprint to let you cancel for free. 

halcyoncmdr123, i'm looking to sprint's upgrade / lte / 4g actually working; however, if they don't get it up within the next 1-2 years they're not going to have any customers to provide it to so they'll either need another monster loan from the asians or it'll be bye-bye time. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Does anyone know if Sprint is addressing our concerns...I have been a sprint customer for 20+ years and upgraded to Galaxy SIII...I am constantly in roaming....Ready to give Sprint a piece of my mind...but looks like they well should know that this is a serious problem...All the specials during the holidays on the SIII...I can only imagine the calls to Sprint are more now than ever....VERY FRUSTRATING AS I JUST SIGNED A NEW 2 YEAR AGREEMENT.  What are we to do?

Journeyman

I think that they will eventually address our concerns but they dont seem to care about the customers that have no LTE and crappy 3G. That seems to be most of their customers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah obviosly they know of the problems and issues, problem is there doing nothing about it and were screwed until they get the 4G LTE towers actually up and working, and they should stop lying on their coverage maps, that might help stop people from buying products thinking they have a service that doesnt exist.  Same as you, new 2yr contract on my S3 and My daughteres iphone 5.  Calling Sprint again this weekend to work on a refund, and still have not received my airave to help with my apartment call and text issues, even though I will be using my own comcast cable internet that I pay for and pay sprint for something they cant provide, its better then nothing and not being able to call or text where they show on the map you actually have 4G LTE service, but is an obvious lie, or else I would have 4G LTE service.  Were kind of stuck to either demand out of our contract at no charge, lower charge and move to verizon, or stick it out while paying extremely high prices for sub par 3G service on crowded networks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am extremely dissatisfied with my recent service with Sprint. I had an HTC Evo 4G and always had reception. I switched to a Samsung Galaxy S3 in September and have not had reception almost anywhere since! The same places I was able to speak on my phone with my Evo, I no longer have reception. Even if I go 20 feet outside of my house, I lose reception completely. I called Sprint from the day I received my phone and on a periodic basis for months to help remedy the issue. Sprint has constantly apologized for the issue and sent me an Airrave, but if I leave my house, my phone does not work. I tried to explain to Sprint that the point of having a cell phone is to be able to have the ability to use the phone anywhere, and that the phone is of no use to me if I cannot use it outside of my house.

Over 50% of my calls are dropped if I am able to make a call at all. This has been the absolute worst service I have ever had in my entire life and I am quite disappointed that Sprint would release a product that does not work. If this problem is not fixed within the next month, I am switching to Verizon. I love my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone but hate the horrible service which Sprint has been providing. My friends with the same phone and another company for service are not having these problems at all.

In addition, I spoke to the people at the Sprint store and they said that customers who purchased the new iPhone are having the same problem as well. It is really disappointing that the service which Sprint is providing is subpar. I will also be posting on Facebook and Twitter to warn other people also so they will not be placed in the same predicament. I would suggest other people do the same as well to influence Sprint to make a change sooner rather than later. Sprint has had months to fix this problem and have not successfully done so yet. I hope this problem is fixed soon.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah mine was the Evo Shift 4g, many people had the same phone, and others that had 4g service, but sprint failed to warn anyone that the new phones were now going to be overcrowded slower 3G service, they just push and sell the phones, then there coverage maps lie about coverage and show 4G LTE where it really doesnt exist.  They havent done anything for us as customers this entire time, and yes the iphone would have the same problem because it is also looking for 4G LTE service that doesnt exist, you need to go backwards to your old 4G to have better coverage until they get the towers up sometime in the next 20 years lol.  Its either that or we leave, but so many of us are stuck, so like you I am waiting for a fix, and will be fighting for a major discount this weekend with sprint on the phone, and maybe I will get a good representative that actually cares and can assist with a discount for us dealing with this horrible service.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat