cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy s3 Signal Issues

Highlighted
Journeyman

Samsung Galaxy s3 Signal Issues

I just upgraded to the S3 from the iPhone 4s and although I love the S3 I am having issues with my phone signal...NO SIGNAL AT ALL... I never had this problem before. My wife evo has no issues with signal strength at home so it's not my area. Is this a know issues and is there a fix coming...  I have been to the sprint store and called sprint and got know help... What is going on....

242 REPLIES 242
Highlighted
Journeyman

please do one change on your phone and see if it changes anything. go to setting > network > more setting > mobile networking > and choose CMDA only. we have two galaxy s3s and what i can tell you is it has much better reception than the galaxy epic 4g that we have. 3g was disconnecting and the reason was the phone was looking for LTE signals. try this and see if it fixes the issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I did choose the CDMA only a few days ago and it did seem to help. It would still be nice if Sprint quit thumming their nose at California and the rest of the country and got the 4G LTE going so that the phone I bought for 4G LTE would actually work correctly and justify the cost of the service.

Highlighted
Master

Were are currently working in the california markets to upgrade the towers.  We have work going in seven markets.  There are just alot of towers that have to be upgraded and it takes some time.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Threesm, join the club, DC and I am in Maryland.  Full bars 3G, but yet facebook and youtube says NO DATA CONNECTION, and cant send messages or make a call.  No 4G exists.  The CDMA fix is just retarded, doesnt do anything and if we wanted to use the phones on a slower then normal 3G connection we wouldnt have to upgrade our phones and wouldnt pay for these expensive phones and pay these extra charges for data and smartphones.  It didnt help in my situation anyways except saved battery life because it wasnt searching for 4G LTE towers that didnt exist.

And 14KNIGHT  is that really the answer.  There are a lot of towers to be upgraded????  Give me a break, so lets pay this extra money, upgrade to super slow phones from our faster 4g phones, for services that we cant use, for towers that do not exist and should have been around a long time ago, not in just cali but these posts are from maryland where I am at, DC, denver, texas all over.  So how about Sprint charges us LESS because were using slow 3G phones now, or how about they dont SELL THE PHONES BEFORE YOU HAVE SUPPORT FOR 4G LTE while were watching all these super cool fast phone commercials and blazing speeds that dont exist, or at least TELL THE CUSTOMER HEY your going to be using a SLOWER PHONE then the one you are PAYING A BUNCH OF MONEY to UPGRADE TO because WE DO NOT HAVE 4G LTE IN ANY OF THE AREAS were selling these phones at or where you live, so you will be forced to use actually SLOWER 3G SPEEDS that are slower then are older phone 3G and verizon, tmobile, AT and T are getting 4G LTE signals right next to me with the same freaking phone.  Funny, while I am typing this guess who calls, SPRINT in response to an email I sent, guess what NEVER FREAKING RANG.  My daughter calls me to tell me that she got a call from some strange spanish lady asking for me.  I cant even understand the freaking message that was left, I would have never known it was sprint, I literrally understood the word SPRINT, and EMAIL, that was it.  Loving this even more.  THere are way too many posts everywhere about this for sprint to just get away with selling these phones, charging these fees and by the time the towers are up a newer better phone will be out and in the meantime we sit here trapped in contracts and cant even use the phone to half of its potential but nothing can be resolved because it comes down to THERE ARE NO TOWERS and there are so many to upgrade. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

14KNIGHT,

Thanks for the update. We have been paying premium prices for dismal service for some years now. Funny how our rates stay the same even with bad service. When my three phone contracts are up I'm moving to Verizon or T-Mobile. I don't really trust Sprint any longer. Been with them since they came to San Diego and I still have 20 year old service.

Highlighted
Journeyman

14KNIGHT. Hi what about Massachusetts. South Shore, South of Boston? (02190)

I have been complaining about this issue since getting the S3 Months ago. I pay $10 more on my bill for something that works worse then another phone I have that's like 4-5 years old and cost $10 less on my bill. I have been paying for a service for the S3 that's not even available. We should have never been charged $10 for every month for this phone for a service that Sprint can't even give us. How can Sprint justify charging us for something they admit now (Not when we got brought the phones) doesn't even exist for us? I posted to this at the very beginning of this post about this problem Sprint never even acknowledged my message. Then again recently and again ignored. I've spoken on the phone with Sprint in the past. There big fix the Airave does not help everyone unless they have high enough wifi speeds in their house. (Which ironically Verizon is my wifi and would have had to be used to get my SPRINT phone to work) however, my wifi is too slow for Airwave to make a difference so had to send the Airave back to Sprint... no help. Wish Sprint and Airave had asked me my HOME wifi speeds when promising that the Airave was going to be the big fix since that matters. Then I was promised the fix would come with the work on the Towers that were being done and I should see improvment's as soon as October. October has come and gone and nothing has gotten better with my son's S3 phone so, I hope they didn't do the towers here and the big fix again didn't fix anything? But, I suspect more likely Sprint just lied and threw any month out there that was coming up to shut me up, get me to keep the phone and be locked into another two years with Sprint having no idea when they were actually going to be doing the towers in my area. I had a few more days to return the phone at that time and even change providers if I wanted to and they said it was only going to be another month and all would be done and the phone working at peek performance. I kept it and got screwed again by Sprint. I think I was lied to just so I would keep the phone and not return it in the small window I had to return it in. I almost got 2 S3's the day I got my son's, one for him one for me. Thank God I waited on mine because if I had gotten the S3 I'd have been paying $10 each for a total of $20 on my bill more for a service that does not work here. I still have my touch Pro 2 yeah really, and guess what it works better here then the S3 without an additional $10 fee, rightfully so since it doesn't have the 4G LTE either just like our S3.  

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have owned a Samsung Epic4 and now I have a Galaxy S3 and none of the Samsung phones have very good reception in any building,including 3G. I live in Nashville,Tn.and it is frustrating watching my friends that have Verizon,pull up movies and other data while my "Latest and Greatest" is still searching for a signal. I was hoping the S3 would have better reception,but it is as bad if not worse than the Epic.

And while i am here. Bluetooth dialing with a headset sucks!!..This will probably be my last Samsung.

Okay I am done now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just retuned my paper weight s3 ...

No reception ....

Took hours to send or receive text messages

Drop call ...

Glad I had theses issue with in the 14 day

Guess these phone are our version of antenna gate

Plus with the poor service one get in NYC

It's a lose .lose .

Highlighted
Journeyman

Joanne the $10 is.t for 4g

They now justify it by saying its for having a premium phone

Which is b.s .....

Highlighted
Journeyman

To update my status, I spoke with Sprint on the phone last week. They suggested the standard workarounds (reboot, reactivate, reload PRL/profile, etc) and to try that for a week. If it didn't help, they would get me a new phone. Needless to say, it didn't work. I called again today. After waiting on hold for 5 minutes while they were "looking at the details of my account", they said they would ship me a new phone but it would cost $35. I calmly explained that was very disappointing and with one mention of the network I moved over from, she said she would talk to her supervisor. Needless to say, I will be getting a new phone by Monday. I will update again to share if reception improves. I'm not looking for blazing 4G speeds. I just want to be able to get data AT ALL. Too many times I've been out and about and got no data and no texts.

Best case scenario is that this was growing pains between Sprint and Samsung. I'm hoping they had enough time to figure out the issue, make a new reciever and quietly include that in newer phones. As an early adopter, I got a troubled phone. Worst case scenario: Samsung radios are crap, Sprint's network is weak, and my reception will be just as bad.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprintintothismofo...or anyone else

Did you stay with Sprint and just get a different phone?  I am having issues with sending texts and making calls where I used to have no problem doing so with my old Photon.  I want to stay with Sprint but I can't put up with the SG3's reception problems any longer.  I'm on day 13 so I need to switch phones tomorrow.  Did you switch phones?  Which phone did you get?  Did it fix your reception problems?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Idisawesome, it is NOT THE GALAXY S3 THAT IS THE PROBLEM.  Yes in very rare cases, early phones or some small percentage had a weak or faulty antenna in them, but for the majority of the phones it has nothing to do with the GALAXY itself, so yes if you just got the GALAXY S3, either deal with the bad texts, call issues or get a phone THAT IS NOT 4G LTE PERIOD.  The issue is there are no 4G LTE towers in so many areas, yours, mine and a million others on this forum, and the phones are not backwards compatible to work with normal 4G towers and the 3G service is worse on the galaxy.  So our older phones, lilke your photon, my evo Shift, was getting 4G service and speed and solid 3G speeds, but when you go to the newer 4G LTE PHONES, if you dont have 4G LTE TOWERS in your area then you are stuck using crappy and worse slow 3G speed on your nice new phone.  The reason you know its not the GALAXY S3 is because as soon as you get into 4G LTE RANGE, the phone flys and acts like the best phone I have ever used, and you can use it to its potential.  You also can find many many many Verizon and AT and T users with the same exact phone GALAXY S3 and they have 4G LTE service all over the place, even sitting right next to me, or you even, they would have service lol.  I have multiple friends that have the galaxy on Verizon and they have 4G LTE service everywhere we go in maryland and I rarely can pick up a 4G LTE signal.  So if you trade it in, DO NOT GET ANOTHER 4G LTE PHONE or you will be facing the same  issues you have now.  You might be able to get one that is 4G LTE and has a slightly better antenna and gets a little better 3G service though and would still help, but it really just is the lack of towers that is causing all the greef for almost everyone on sprint with these nice new phones, its as simple as that 99 percent of the time.

Mikeydoesntlikeit will probably have the same exact issues he had before even getting a new galaxy S3, there is a slim chance that he has 4G LTE towers in his area and his phone actually was bad, with horrible antenna and couldnt reach the 4G LTE towers, but more then likely, as he said, it will be sprint service is weak, reception will be just as bad, and the samsung radios are sub par.  When we get 4G LTE TOWERS in our AREAS these phones will be awesome, as you can see the potential greatness in this phone and the larger note by samsung and the nexus that is coming out.  The issue is we are paying high prices, premium rates for smartphones that we can not use properly because we have no service.  The one that boggles my mind, someone posted earlier about this, is same thing, yesterday I am sitting in rockville md, in Boston Market.  I have all full bars 3G.  I hit facebook, I get no connection, please retry, no connection no connection can not get on facebook.  Did a speed tesst with all out bars and 3G, got .17mb/s download speed and .34mb/s upload spead, HORRIBLE, and you cant get on youtube nothing will play, takes forever, cant stream music which your paying for this super duper data plan that you cant use, I payed for the 2gb data extra to connect to my radio, it takes forever to connect to pandora, or tunein radio, then it skips and lags in the songs or podcasts making it completely worthless for a data plan.  I am goin gto call sprint back tonight and see what they have to say, they did call me about the issues, so will let you know, and fergie replied on here stating my phone is connecting to multiple peoples AIRAVES in the area causing it to not work well at my house and I need to get an AIRAVE for myself to connect to at my home.

SO you need to get ANOTHER PIECE OF EQUIPMENT to make phone calls and send texts in your own house from SPRINT, and it is  going to USE THE COMCAST INTERNET THAT WE PAY FOR SO THE PHONE WILL WORK RIGHT, AFTER YOU ALREADY HAVE TO RUN WIFI IN YOUR HOUSE, AGAIN USING YOUR INTERNET, SO THAT YOU CAN SURF THE WEB, YOUTUBE, USE THE APP MARKET ETC ANYTHING THAT USES THE WEB OR DATA.  SO BUY A NEW PHONE GALAXY S3.   IT DOESNT MAKE CALLS OR TEXTS SO NOW GET AN AIRAVE.  IT DOESNT SURF THE  WEB, YOUTUBE, GPS, APP MARKET, FACEBOOK NOTHING WORKS SO NOW SET UP WIFI IN YOUR HOUSE SO THE PHONE CAN DO THAT AS WELL.  Seems to me, the phone and sprint should be doing  that on its own network and its own equipment, and shouldnt be charging us these insane prices when there product and services do not work.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat