cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy s3 Signal Issues

Highlighted
Journeyman

Samsung Galaxy s3 Signal Issues

I just upgraded to the S3 from the iPhone 4s and although I love the S3 I am having issues with my phone signal...NO SIGNAL AT ALL... I never had this problem before. My wife evo has no issues with signal strength at home so it's not my area. Is this a know issues and is there a fix coming...  I have been to the sprint store and called sprint and got know help... What is going on....

242 REPLIES 242
Highlighted
Journeyman

I had the Evo 4G and never had a problem with reception. I switched to the SIII a week ago and I have no reception at work even though I'm told that I'm in a good coverage area. I think I might go back to the EVO.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Mitmax,

I STRONGLY suggest that you take that s3 back and return it while you can.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Have the G3 and the call and text issues are a problem. The other problem is that this area of Sprint is for venting issues. I see no solution by Sprint nor do I see any suggestions by Sprint. Seems they have turned a deaf ear to issues with the promise things will get better.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am surprised there hasn't been a lawsuit against Samsung S3 or Sprint.  I am in the same boat as everyone else.  No doubt, S3 has a bad antenna and Sprint's coverage makes it worse. 

S3+Sprint = You are screwed.

Highlighted

Mitmax wrote:

I had the Evo 4G and never had a problem with reception. I switched to the SIII a week ago and I have no reception at work even though I'm told that I'm in a good coverage area. I think I might go back to the EVO.

This post may shed light on the difference:

XOCHILT0524 wrote:

Man your are not the only one with that issue!!!!. In less than 14 days i returned 2 galaxy s3's and 1 note II simply because i was getting low signal and poor call quailty at home and work

something thatnever happened with my old blackberry and my trusty evo 4g. I don't know what is wrong but sprint is gonna have to do something soon to fix the low reception issue with some samsung phones.

The issue isn't the phones having an issue or a defect. The Galaxy S3 has a powerful antenna per the FCC testing for the model. However, many older phones had more powerful antenna. The original HTC EVO had the most powerful antenna/radio of any Sprint phone in history. Blackberries also tended have the highest radiation output of just about any phone ever made, this does not necessarily equate to a stronger antenna, but it is a pretty good indication, I haven't taken the time to look back through the discontinued Blackberry FCC filings for power to compare.

Network Vision enhancements are going to increase network-side efficiency which will also help overall since the towers themselves will be able to operate more efficiently. I can't say that in every situation and location in the country it will be enough to make a difference, but in many fringe areas the NV enhancements will make for a noticeable improvement in service. The current network in many areas is overburdened and operating at a much lower level than in recent years, this means a moderate antenna design that would havebeen sufficient a few years ago, may now have a noticeable difference in reception. After tyhe NV upgrades and spectrum changes Sprint is making the network should be back above the performance it was at a few years ago and these issues ssohuld be much less common, they will move back out to the fringe of coverage instead of the fringe created by issues within the main network areas.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Fyi everyone, sprint's marketing whitewash above about 'vision enhancements' likely isnt going to change the fact that the s3 has inferior reception. I reiterate, if you CAN return it, DO IT. I also recommend staying away from samsung s4 unless samsung addresses in no uncertain terms the s3 reception issues.

Highlighted
Master

thetrevca wrote:

Fyi everyone, sprint's marketing whitewash above about 'vision enhancements' likely isnt going to change the fact that the s3 has inferior reception. I reiterate, if you CAN return it, DO IT. I also recommend staying away from samsung s4 unless samsung addresses in no uncertain terms the s3 reception issues.

Ok, we'll do FCC lab test reports instead of the layman's terms I tried to put it in previously.

The FCC does not test reception performance, but rather Transmittion performance. It is the transmission performance that can adversely affect other devices, so that is what they test, they couldn't care less what the phone is able receive. Per the FCC, the phone MUST accept all interference, even if it adversely affects performance. While these are not directly correlated, they can be used as a good indication of what the physical antenna is capable of overall for both transmitting and receiving.

Keep in mind, phones may have fairly similar dBm ratings, a 0.1 difference can translate to a huge difference in real-world performance when talking about RF transmissions over a 2+ mile range in some cases.

Galaxy S III (A3LSPHL710) - Dual antenna configuration in this model, phone also supports CDMA800 for after Nextel is gone and spectrum is repurposed. Antennae can be used separately or in tandem to attempt to increase reception or transmission performance. The purpose for this is if one antenna is blocked for some reason, the other will attempt to compensate, the numbers DO NOT add together. Each antenna has its own separate power ability, it can't get any higher than that.

CDMA Tests:

Tx #1 - CDMA850 - Max Pwr 17.78 (dBm)

Tx #1 - CDMA1900 - Max Pwr 24.05 (dBm)

Tx #1 - CDMA800 (BC10) - Max Pwr 17.21 (dBm)

Tx #2 - CDMA850 - Max Pwr 20.77 (dBm)

Tx #2 - CDMA1900 - Max Pwr 23.85 (dBm)

Tx #2 - EvDO (BC10) - Max Pwr 17.56 (dBm)

LTE Tests:

Tx #1 - LTE1900 - Max Pwr 22.01 (dBm)

Tx #2 - LTE1900 - Max Pwr 21.62 (dBm)

HTC EVO 4G (NM8PC36100) - Single antenna, phone does not support CDMA800 per filings

CDMA Tests:

Tx #1 - CDMA850 - Max Pwr 22.91 (dBm)

Tx #1 - CDMA1900 - Max Pwr 24.23 (dBm)

WiMax Tests:

Tx #1 - 2500MHz - Max Pwr 27.50 (dBm)

I personally have a Galaxy S III. I haven't seen any difference in RF attributable to my personal Galaxy S III compared to my previous Epic Touch or original Epic 4G. My reception at my house, and around town, has been pretty similar from my experience. The network performance in my area is a different story, and I can say that all of the reception issues I've seen are directly attributable to the towers I connect to and the numer of people connected to that tower at a given time.

A phone having an inferior antenna to another model is not a defect, it is a fact of RF design. Every phone will have different antenna characteristics because every antenna is different. The FCC has minimum standards that a phone must meet to pass, that doesn't mean some phones don't have BETTER than standard antennae.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I can't speak to the antenna. I have not heard of a general discontent with Sprint coverage or the issues we have discussed here about reception with the GS3 but from some comments it seems limited to this phone. I have doubts the Network Vision enhancements is going to save me. I searched for it online and found a video where a man in in a blue shirt pointed a lot and Bob Azzi the vice president of network got on the roof a building and showed us inside a box that held the juju that would make Sprint coverage great. I am not convinced this enhancement is going to cure the Galaxy's woes. Why isn't this affecting all their phones if so. Clue me in. Did I miss something? Since he mentioned this upgrade involves 4G I checked their rollout map which has a drop down box  and Nebraska was noticeably missing so shall I hold my breath on these enhancements? P'shaw. Forget 4G. Forget Network Vision enhancements here. Omaha is not exactly a backwater but perhaps they have not won enough customers yet. All I know to do is to keep complaining and consider taking the hit and replacing the phone which irks me to no end. Frankly I hate being irked but that is not important now. I sent my email off a bit ago to tech support. I checked to see what they would buy back my very recently purchased 600 buck phone and gasped at the generous $106 they proposed. As for the person who suggested we pay the ETF for the simple answer. My mother raised me better than to say what I am thinking in response to that other than piece it together and why should I have to?

Highlighted
Journeyman

when will birmingham, Al get 4G LTE service? 35226, 35242, 35124

Highlighted
Journeyman

A glimmer of hope....I've had signal issues with my galaxy S3 since i purchased Nov 2012. Went round and round with sprint...no resolution. My last resort before cancelling contracts was to send to Samsung under the warranty. I simply described to them the issue (which everyone of you is experiencing) and they initiated a warranty return. Bottomline...the phone came back and is getting much better signal. Supposedly they fixed via software I assume by increasing tx/rx sensitivity. My area is supposed to have up to 3 bars and I'm now getting 2 to 3 bars, consistently. Will continue watching for any reduction in receiption.

If you're still under manufacturer's warranty...then send back to Samsung now!  You will get nowhere trying to resolve the issue with Sprint since they obviously aren't focused on listening to the Voice of the Customer...

Good luck all!

Highlighted
Wizard

I also purchased my S3 in Nov 2012 after upgrading from an EVO 4G, and had the same issues with signals, some dropped calls, or no signal at all for half hr or more on some days at home. Some days were so so, some were ok. I didn't want to give up on the S3, didn't send my phone back, called Sprint a couple of times asking what this issue is, and really didn't get an answer. During this time, I was getting only 1 or 2 bars max.

Since the 4G/4G LTE tower upgrades are going on, 2 towers in the area I live at have been getting constant data speed/capacity/voice upgrading. During Nov-Dec 2012 I was getting 1-2 bars as mentioned, and since mid Jan till now, I've been getting a constant max of 3 to 4 bars, and way faster 3G speeds in which I really never had in Nov-Dec.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too am missing my HTC Evo Shift. I've had the SIII since December and it has been the biggest headache. I called the first week I had my phone about not having a reliable connection and all the customer service person said was that I was experiencing signal failure in my area and it's a known issue that Sprint was working to correct. After reading all these post I didn't know it was an issue that would take months or even until next year. I wish the rep would have told me it wasn't and immediate fix because had I known that I would have returned my phone right then and there. After calling Sprint a few times they told me to take it into a repair center to do a hard reset and I did that. Even after that I still had problems so I called Sprint and we all know how that goes. I then took my phone back into the repair center and the manager there was so rude. He basically told me that there really wasn't nothing he could do if they didn't find something to be wrong with the actual phone. He even went on to say that the reason I wasn't getting a signal was maybe one of the apps I downloaded did something. REALLY? Wow, I haven't had good signal from day 1, but now it's my fault?Well there really was something wrong with the phone. Fast forward. I got a new phone and that phone is experiencing the exact same problems. Yesterday spent over 3 hours between chatting with a tech (that did everything to try and troubleshoot the issue) and a really rude customer service rep (that told me numerous times that he shows I've been using data and that I have strong signal strength). Excuse me sir, but would I spent over 10 hours total on phone calls, chat and going into the store if I was getting a strong signal? I have never had anyone in any customer service position treat me the way Sprint has and I've been a loyal customer for over 5+ years.

From what the rep yesteraday told me those of us that are experiencing problems are just a few and there are thousands of customers that are really happy with the SIII. I guess Sprint doesn't care if they lose hundreds of customers because of bad service and ever worse customer service!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat