cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen turns black during phone calls! HELP

Journeyman

Screen turns black during phone calls! HELP

Frequently, while talking on the phone, the screen goes black and the touch screen doesn't work.  I will not get it back until the phone call has ended and the person on the other end hangs up.  I cannon press any buttons or hang up.  This is frustrating if I'm calling somewhere that has an automated system that requires number input, because the screen is black!  Another frustration is when you leave a message on an answering machine, you can't hang up so the message runs on and on in silence, and then you are prompted to enter a number or # but I can't enter anything!!  Is anyone else having this problem??  Everything else on the phone works great!!  I love the phone!

4 REPLIES 4
Journeyman

Re: Screen turns black during phone calls! HELP

Are u using a screen protector? It may be covering the proximity sensor and that's why it's not working properly' if so try removing it, or it may be dust it happened to a previous phone I had and that was the issue.

Highlighted
Wizard

The S3 (and other touchscreen phones) lock out the screen if it senses your face pressed against the phone during calls so you're not inadvertantly pushing buttons all the time.  On my S3, there is a bit of a delay (probably only about .5 seconds, but seems longer while on the phone) from the time I pull the phone away from my face and the time the screen turns back on.  Make sure you're holding the phone by the edges and not the screen when you pull it away from your face. 

Does it have the same problem if you were to make a hands-free or speakerphone call?  You might test that just to ensure the phone is working properly.

If yours is staying blank longer and the buttons are locked out, your phone might be having other problems. 

Sprint Employee

I've had this happen on several Android phone models. if putting your finger over/then away from proximity sensor doesn't do the trick, then pressing the power button should. I notice happen mostly while in a phone call if I allow the screen to time out before putting my phone to my ear (activating the proximity sensor) This was only problematic with my Samsung Moment because the end key and power button were one in the same.

No longer working Community Response.
GrandMaster

i have seen the same thing happen with some of the otterbox type protectors as well. not fully trimmed out where that sensor is and whalla. ditto with some of the screen protectors..some actually have a notch in them where that sensor is..some dont..

babykake_yr wrote:

Are u using a screen protector? It may be covering the proximity sensor and that's why it's not working properly' if so try removing it, or it may be dust it happened to a previous phone I had and that was the issue.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat