Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Severe battery drain after JB Update

Highlighted
Journeyman Oin
Journeyman

Severe battery drain after JB Update

I replied to another discussion as follows: 

After the update, my phone is dead after about 6 hours.  It stays very warm all the time, and the built-in battery stats indicate that "Downloads" is consuming up to 70% of my battery.  Diving in deeper, a certain process: com.sec.android.providers.downloads  is listed under Downloads.  I have searched online, found various answers, and tried turning off Google Now, tried uninstalling all updates from Maps, disabling any kind of auto-update location services, and disabled that process com.sec.android.providers.downloads.  Still no luck, battery is horrible, and I am using the same apps in the same manner as before on ICS.  Something is broken in this update, many on here and XDA and other forums are reporting this mysterious battery drain.  SPRINT, please help with this?

9 REPLIES 9
Master

Re: Severe battery drain after JB Update

Clear the data from the Downloads app in Settings > Application Manager > All

That should reset the downloads app back to default and remove whatever corrupted information is loaded in it. The actual downloads themselves arestill in the phone, just hte history and cache will be wiped out for the download app itself. It is not the update, or EVERY phone would experience this issue. It is something that is corrupted on those specific phones causing it.

Journeyman

Same thing started on my phone with the LI3 update.

It only got worse after JB.  I think time will tell if the clearing the app info will fix it or not..

Journeyman

I can not believe how much my battery life has improved since the update. I still have 20% battery left and it's been 30 hours since I charged it. I been talking on it, texting, playing music and games...wow

Journeyman Oin
Journeyman

So, I tried this already, along with disabling that app/process.  After any reboot, it's back to the same behavior.  Perhaps the download of the update was bad.  I think I will just go into a service center and ask them to flash it for me, or downgrade me to LG8 which is when everything was smoothest.

Journeyman

@halcyoncmdr123 - What exactly happens to the phone when you clear the cache in the downloads app? Will it remove any apps that you recently downloaded? Will it remove any settings from any apps?  I too am experiencing the battery drain issue since the JB update. My phone used to last a day and a half, now I can barely make it thru 1 day.

Journeyman

Confirm the following option is unchecked:

Maps/Settings/Location settings/Report from this device.

If it is checked, uncheck it.

About half the battery drain with the option unchecked.

This helped my battery drain tremendously! Hope this helps.

Thanks to nabbed from xda forums

Master

blues2012 wrote:

Confirm the following option is unchecked:

Maps/Settings/Location settings/Report from this device.

If it is checked, uncheck it.

About half the battery drain with the option unchecked.

This helped my battery drain tremendously! Hope this helps.

Thanks to nabbed from xda forums

That option should only affect Google Latitude, if you are not using Google Latitude it will have negligible impact. IT allows other Latitude users you have allowed to locate your device. Designed to help people find friends nearby when out and about.

Every supposed "fix " I've seen assumes something is inherently wrong with the update or an app. I can say with 99% certainty this is most likely not hte case with almost any software update ever. It is usually caused by bad app updates or sorrupted files after a major software update. I recommend using BetterBatteryStats to determine what is causing a WakeLock on the device. Wake Locks prevent the phone from going to sleep correctly when you turn the screen off. Some are sompletely normal and expected, like an aemail application waking the phone up periodically to check for new messages, receiving a text message, etc. These will show small usage. A rogue app should pop out like a sore thumb in the app giving you a much more pin-pointed place to look for a battery drainer.

Keep in mind the screen simply being on will drain the most battery of anything on your device, regardless of what phone you have. LCD and AMOLED panels are battery hogs, even with brightness down. I remember seeing an itnernal Sprint Device Team report last year that broke down the Galaxy S II's battery use characteristics. Things like how airplane mode, 1xRTT. EvDO, signal strength, camera, bluetooth, WiFi, screen brightness, etc. all affected the battery. How much power each item pulled from the battery essentially. It was quite interesting, I wish I could share it publically, I'll have to take a look at possibly getting it or soemthing like it through for public release.

Master

schulzjt1 wrote:

@halcyoncmdr123 - What exactly happens to the phone when you clear the cache in the downloads app? Will it remove any apps that you recently downloaded? Will it remove any settings from any apps?  I too am experiencing the battery drain issue since the JB update. My phone used to last a day and a half, now I can barely make it thru 1 day.

Essentially it will clear your recent downloads history. So not apps, but files you have downloaded through things like the browser, or email apps. This only helps if you have a phantom app that somehow got stuck in "downloading" even though it may have finished already. It will prevent the phone from sleeping because it thinks it needs to stay awake to finish downloading this non-existent item.

Journeyman

Also, I strongly suggest two simple "fixes" 1) switching from LTE to CDMA until you have 4GLTE in your area.
                                                              2) shut off the goofy Sprint "optimizer" app

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat