Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Vs. Verizon

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint Vs. Verizon

Hey all,

I have had sprint for a while and I always see other friends or coworkers with their Verizon phones with no complaints on speed, coverage, 4g availability, etc. Now Sprint has started putting 4G in my area but to be honest I can have 1 bar of 3G and it goes insanely fast in comparison to the full bars of 4G. I was thinking maybe it's my phone (Samsung S3) so I factory reset it and updated it all with no improvements. The 4G is so slow that when I see I am connected I just put my phone away and stop trying to look at anything requiring a data connection.

Sprint has improved over the years that I have been a customer but I am actually thinking of paying the ETF of $180 and jumping to Verizon who is going to give me $100 on top of the 2 year contract discount for a new phone to switch so it softens the ETF a little. Basically what I am asking is there anyone that has Sprint currently that used to have Verizon and what are your thoughts? Did I just get unlucky with my phone or is Sprints network really that bad?

18 REPLIES 18
GrandMaster

Re: Sprint Vs. Verizon

youre still in an area that is being deployed..the bars are not showing what your data connection is..it only shows you your voice connection..which is why you can have 1 bar of signal and have amazing speeds..and vise versa..full bars and shoddy data speeds..you can also be connecting to 2 different towers..one for voice and one for data that is either much further out or has had the 4G upgrades but has yet to get the backhaul to actually finish up the tower..heck it can still be in test and tune phase for all we know..to many variables to list on what it may or may not be that youre seeing.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Sprints network is just this bad... A quick look through the posts on here should be all you need to realize that...

Journeyman

Yea that makes sense; however, even when I am in Philadelphia like at a baseball game the 4G there is also very slow. I like to stream Pandora a lot on my way to work and basically as soon as my phone switches to 4G it stops streaming until I get back to a 3G connection. I should probably just disable my 4G.

GrandMaster

for the time being i would..until you get more towers lit up its going to keep bouncing back and forth..from what i have seen most have quite a few issues with this..especially in the early to mid stages of the deployment..the handoff from the older equipment to the new equipment and vise versa is horrid...the tower closest to me is currently being upgraded so i'll be able to see first hand here soon how well the handoff is...while i was over in San Fransisco it wasnt to bad...when i was there they were no where near completion but the handoff wasnt to harsh..in my current area its a larger city but no where the size of say NYC..the issues i will see wont be able to stack up to what they see or you see..

one of the biggest delays is the backhaul that still needs to be brought in..the tower near my work is actually a att tower that sprint is also on..wild guess who will have to bring this in to the tower itself? if you guessed att you get a shinny dime...per my pocket said dime is a 2008..some towers get lucky and its put in quickly...others not so much..so basically for the time being they are running off the already beat down and overran set up...basically they just built a mud slinging demon of a truck with every new bell and whistle that will make it unstoppable...but are stuck with the old stock motor that has seen better days lol

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Wizard

MRJNICE85:

Thanks for reaching out to us.  I see fireguy_6364 has given you excellent information.  I’d be glad to provide more information to you.  I’d be remiss if I didn’t also mention, of course, your choice should be Sprint.

I’d like to double check your area to see what’s going on there.  Please provide your zip code, two cross streets, type of device you are using and it’s software version.  If it is rooted, please advise of this as well.  

Couple of things I’d like to touch upon…

While in an area being upgraded or an area where upgrades have yet to start I suggest changing your network settings to CDMA only.   You may want to try changing network settings to Automatic and if things get weird or slow, change it to CDMA only.  Additionally, please do not perform a factory reset on your device unless we ask you to.  Usually, there are other things we can do that will result in the same outcome.  Now, a soft reset is something you can do at will.  Personally (poor fireguy_6364 has seen me say this many times), I perform a soft reset every Sunday.  I never turn my Note 2 off and always have a plethora of apps running.  The soft reset allows the device to retune itself and realign with any network changes that have been made. 

For your device, the steps to perform a soft reset are as follows:

Power off and remove battery for 5 minutes.

Power back up and turn Wifi and LTE off.

On the dial pad enter ##72786# (this is a better option than ##873282#).

The device may want to perform updates and may power cycle.  If so, let it proceed.

If you are in an area where upgrades are taking place you are likely experiencing capacity issues.  These will manifest as slow data, no data, dropped calls, blocked calls, delayed texts and decreased in-building signal penetration.   That does sound like a lot of junk!  Not everyone will be hit with all of those though.  As the upgrades get closer to completion those issues will dissipate.   I’d hate to se you leave us, the upgrades get completed and then you left out of the benefits the upgrades bring.  I assure you, it will get better and you will be quite happy you stayed.

Each tower upgrade is a massive undertaking.  The old tower is torn down, new tower erected, new fiber optic cables buried, new spectrums added to tower and each spectrum tested and tweak until performing at specification.  All this while battling the unforeseen that get in the way of progression.  Things such as: fires; floods; vandalism; power outages; government red tape; land owners; animals etc. 

I equate the upgrades to having my kitchen remodeled.  I wanted it to create an overall better experience.  While it’s taking place it’s annoying me vehemently.  When it was done I was so enamored with it I couldn’t remember what the old one was like because the new one was so wonderful.  It was a growing pain that was necessary to keep my house up to date.  The NetworkVision updates are the same way.  Every carrier that has performed massive upgrades has gone through the same thing.  Any carrier that is watching us to do this (and they are watching for sure) is going to go through the same thing when they attempt to emulate it.  And, they will try.  What we are doing is unprecedented and no other carrier has undertaken a massive project like this. 

Regarding the baseball game…  Philadelphia is still being upgraded.  Capacity issues were absolutely at play in that area. 

I welcome you’re checking the websites of other carriers.  One thing you will find is that no matter which company’s site you go to there will always be more visible comments from those that are unhappy than those that are satisfied.  

If you are more comfortable providing the zip code and cross streets privately, please feel free to send me a Private Message.  I am usually logged into the Community site between 8pm and 10pm MST.

Jon H.

Sprint Social Care Team

Wizard

Yes, exactly!  This is why I always ask for the zip and two cross streets.  There are instances where a customer is located on the boarder of two towers.  Now, that alone can cause some issues that are maddening.  Usually related to hand-off.   It is also possible that the current servicing tower is not upgraded and a nearby one is.  That may cause some handoff and capacity issues as well.

Jon H.

Wizard

fireguy_6364:

See my comment above regarding how other carriers are watching what we have had the nerve to start and what they will try to duplicate… 

Decommissioning our spectrums from towers that do not belong to us and erecting our on works in our favor and that of our customers in a few ways…  Cost of operation and room for expansion.  In the future when we decide to roll out another upgrade of any type, it will go faster, smoother and cheaper.  These are all benefits we pass along to our customers.

Jon H.

Wizard

SprintIsHorrible123456:

If you are having connection, billing, device and/or service issues I’d be more than happy to assist you.  All I need are all the details and I’ll be ready to help.  Let me know.

If you need additional assistance let us know.  If we do not hear back in forty-eight hours we will consider the case resolved. 

Jon H.

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

It's that bad...I been having nothing but problems with them...report them to the FCC...they will wave your ETF..count on it..

Wizard

claudmex74:

We are not happy to see you go.  Every instance is different and individual.  I’m saddened in your case it lead you to decide to leave. 

If you need additional assistance let us know.  If we do not hear back in forty-eight hours we will consider the case resolved. 

Jon H.

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

I'm having the EXACT same issues. Now my wifi isn't working.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat