cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint is Not Listening

Journeyman

Sprint is Not Listening

"On average, smartphone users use 10 times more data than customers with basic or feature phones. With this charge, Smartphone customers will continue to receive unlimited data and experience Sprint's simplified services and rates, being able to take advantage of a rich data experience while on the Sprint network."

I find it rather contradicting how now that I have a "smart phone", I must pay a 10 dollar "premium data" charge, to guarantee that I continue to receive unlimited data.  Yet, now, sprint is pushing their more expensive "unlimited, my way plan" to ensure that smart phone users continue to get unlimited data, for life.  Isn't that what the 10 dollar premium data add on is for?     Well, I DO NOT RECEIVE 4G LTE coverage!  Who cares about unlimited data on a 3 G network?!?  In 20 days, my wife an I have used a total of 60 Mgs of data!  Why?  Because the service is poor.   I shouldn't have to pay the 4G LTE smartphone add on fee that people pay when I DO NOT RECEIVE THE 4G LTE SERVICE!   To top it off, sprint is attempting to funnel everyone into one (all-or-nothing) plan.  However, many people do not receive the service to make the plan worth while.   I love the customer service that sprint gives, and have no intention on leaving sprint, however this is one of two examples of sprint failing to listen to the wants of the customer.

The second example is :

T-Mobile comes up with the JUMP program - where a customer can upgrade their phone every six months.  Verizon's answer to this is the Verizon Edge plan where the phone is financed over 24 months, and if the customer wants to upgrade, the remaining payments are forgiven. Then ATT comes up with their variation of the plan, the ATT NEXT plan.  UPGRADE vs. UPGRADE vs. UPGRADE.

To combat all these awesome phone upgrade plans... what does sprint do? They present the "unlimited data forever".  On what is now, a mostly 3g network.    so now, we have UPGRADE vs. UPGRADE, vs. UPGRADE vs. DATA? huh?  Does this make sense to anyone? This is like attempting and expecting to win a BBQ contest, with a wedding cake.  It is not even apples to apples.

Tags (3)
60 REPLIES 60
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Sprint is Not Listening

1st off...Can you read? WHERE does it say (and I mean, SHOW ME) where you pay for a 4G LTE Add-on on your Sprint bill? I'd like proof....because I been around since WAY before the "DATA ADD-ON" WAS IMPLEMENTED.  And I know that iPhones are what caused AT&T to add data caps..and Verizon to add data caps..but did Sprint? NO. They did NOT.

And where are you getting that Sprint is forcing people into new plans? Can you read the part about the UNLIMITED GUARANTEE? What does it say? It says.."you are guaranteed unlimited data for the life of the line". That doesn't sound much like Sprint is forcing anyone onto ANY PLAN.

Sprint hasn't contacted me about changing my 1500-shared family plan with unlimited data...and they won't. Because the NEW PLANS are for NEW CUSTOMERS AS AN OPTION ONLY. The old plans are, and will STILL be available.

And if you could just use Google, instead of griping and whining on here, you'd easily find a site with information about Sprint's 4G LTE rollout...named S4GRU.com

And within that site, you'd see that Sprint has UPGRADED TO 4G over 6000 towers in the last year they've been working on their new network, and that 17000 towers of the 39,000 in their entire network have had work done to them.

This is straight from the acceptance reports of a sprint engineer....

But..instead of using the internet as a tool to empower yourself...you come incorrect..stepping like you got something to prove. Well, you proved it well..that you have foolish beliefs and cannot comprehend the simplest of terms..

NO where does Sprint say they will force people onto new plans. They are an OPTION just like the old plans are. And the "DATA ADD-ON" is just that..an ADD-ON for the data hungry phones that people decide to purchase.

I feel sorry for Sprint...they should've done like AT&T and went around buying up every small cell phone provider they could..but instead they decided to build their new network from the ground, up...and make sure it's current for at LEAST 10 years to come. Instead of just buying and monopolizing like VZW has done, they are building to future-proof themselves for a decade to come, and it's apparent with articles written about the Sprint-Softbank merger...

Sprint has over 200mhz of spectrum thanks to the Clearwire and Softbank mergers...more than ANY other wireless provider in the USA. So with that newly acquired spectrum (as of JUNE 2013), they have the ability to beat the #1 and #2  cell phone carriers in the USA. And they will. Thanks to the CEO of Softbank, when Sprint finishes their network buildout of the 4G LTE network, they'll start another round with a 16-billion dollar investment by Softbank to add more capacity and bring NEW areas to the Sprint footprint.

I didn't just make this stuff up..I empowered myself and learned on my own...which anyone is capable of doing, versus just complaining like everyone else on the Sprint forums. So..continue arming yourself with ignorance and foolish ramblings...I'll continue reading the updates of what Sprint is ACTUALLY doing to it's network, and I'll stick to listing the FACTS, not some dismembered understanding of just what I want to hear and read.

Apparently some people, when they want news, they bend over and pull it out of a dark, stinky place. I like knowing that I'm basing what I say on FACTUAL EVIDENCE which I can easily back up with proof...I guess telling lies just sounds better though.

Continue...as you were.

Journeyman

Thank you for the attitude readjustment Jon. lol,   But seriously, look at the sprint website, without logging in...   You will see, that they are now only offering the unlimited data plan.  Further, you said absolutely nothing about sprint competing with the competitions upgrade programs.  Again, it is still not apples to apples.  What if I have Wi-Fi at home and do not need unlimited data?  If I was to start a new plan, I would be forced into the guaranteed unlimited data plan.  Additionally, every time I have attempted to downsize my plan, the only plan that is available for my phone is the guaranteed unlimited data plan.

However, I have heard for a year about how sprint has been upgrading their network, but I have neither seen it, nor felt it in the outskirts of Denver.

You do bring up an excellent set of "game changer" points.  I was not informed of all the latest mergers and business deals in which sprint has partaken lately.  I am thankful that you brought them to my attention!  Now you mention all these facts about the work that is ACTUALLY being completed, and you have shown me proof that it is being completed, I am optimistic and am excited to see what the next year has in store for sprint.  When I think of a carrier with Verizon like coverage, AT&T like stability, and Sprint like customer service. -  I become gitty.  The customer service sprint offers is second to none, and is the main reason I have remained with them.

Also, I just found out that they still do contract buy outs.  So instead of the JUMP program where you pay an over inflated price for the phone over 2 years, $600 for an HTC one.  I can pay the buy out, $200 in my case, then purchase the new phone with all the discounts they offer ($99.00 at best buy)!.  So, my number two gripe that I have is not as bad as I thought it was.

Jon, thanks for the time and effort you put into your reply, it really did help!

Wizard

Ok....well now that we're on more even ground in terms of understanding Sprint's work..

I have Wifi at home as well...but having unlimited data still is a tremendous weight that I don't need to worry with. I've had the same 1500-minute family share plan for 3 years now, and started it with 2 phones. Added another last year. Then another this year. And I still don't need anything different, but I don't have to worry about how much data my daughter uses on that iJunk she wanted me to get her...which went against my entire "root it and custom ROM it" system...

But it's nice to head to the beach, where they have 4G LTE, and know she can watch youtube and crap without worrying about going over or her using up the data for MY phone as well.

And when I visited my dad in Slidell, Louisiana...there was LTE all around him, we couldn't get away from LTE until we left...and it was great.

See, in my case, my  Sprint LTE connection is BETTER than my home DSL connection (mainly because AT&T is sorry when it comes to supporting last-mile broadband)...they don't wanna invest into it unless they have to...and with my DSL connection, they'll be forced to upgrade the DSLAM nextdoor to my house if they want that AT&T tower that's a mile from my driveway to ever have their HSPA+ speeds.

I wouldn't judge the work they've done by not being able to see it..because they could be working around your area, which would dump you on another tower without knowing, while they upgrade the equipment ...

I will tell you this. I took a look around the area surrounding Denver, and I see the signs of Sprint upgrading quite a few towers. I can't discuss the private areas of the website, it's against the rules and would be like me bringing something other people have to pay to see out in the open for free...but I will say this...If you visited Golden, CO you'd see some proof of their work just off I-70 towards Genesee Trail Road.  And if you went up around Thornton, CO....I bet you see the very same thing...like around the Jack in the Box off Washington street...Same for Commerce City...take a ride down E 104th AVE..and check things out...Even down near Castle Rock...

now, you may not instantly notice LTE in these areas I mentioned. I don't know there's even LTE in those areas..I'm just saying that things look faster to me...And you may need to cycle your phone in Airplane mode to get it to pick up LTE...until they finish the upgrades, the phones aren't handing off too well from 3G older equipment to 4G LTE newer equipment...so cycle airplane mode...and go visit Sensorly.com....and take a look around the coverage maps they have on there. Go here:

Sensorly 4G Sprint Denver area and every place you see purple is probably somewhere you could find a better area to watch youtube. And I can say for sure there are some areas that sensorly users havent mapped yet. You can download the Sensorly app on your android phones and use the "Map Trip" option to provide areas that people haven't mapped yet...showing others where the phone has which connections..

And when it comes to the phone itself...talk to a Sprint store in your area and ask about "Upgrade Now"....I think they still have that promotion and probably will for a while to compete with the AT&T and T-mo "get new stuff for lots of money whenever" equipment plans.

I will say this...with what Sprint is doing, and what Softbank's CEO wants to do in the future with Sprint...there's no better time to be sitting in the stands watching the show....but I would hate to be the competition, and know that Sprint has 1)more spectrum to play with than all carriers in the USA combined, and 2) a CEO with a stake in Sprint who wants to leave Hesse in charge, because we all know Dan is smart as a whip...but the same Japanese CEO has plenty of money to help Sprint get to the top, and that's exactly what he wants. He said himself, every man wants to be the best in what he does...and he has the same vision for his investment in sprint. He wants to see Sprint be the top dog in the USA and he'll get what he wants too.

Just look at what happened with Charlie Ergen and DISH....Charlie acted like a whiney, crybaby kid who didn't get his way...and thought he could throw money at Sprint until they gave him what he wanted. But Charlie wanted to ruin Sprint...take them for their hard work, use them for his purpose..then throw the Sprint name away and dispose of the company when he was finished. I would've went to another carrier if Sprint had agreed to DISH's merger...charlie just wanted to throw a monkey wrench in the deals...and I hope Sprint and Clearwire are able to sue him for meandering in deals and causing the ruckus he caused ....because he presented bids to the Clearwire board that were UNACTIONABLE...not just once...but several times for 5 months.  I'd love to see him lose it all...he's a greedy, bad example of what a CEO should be. And he even tried to say that a Japanese company owning the controlling part of an American cell phone company was a threat to our national security....and tried to get the Justice Dept to step in and block the deal...

Nothing like being racist, eh Charlie??? Japan has been our closest ally since the war ended...and have stuck by us...and you would be so quick to say they are a threat to us? How exactly? Softbanks CEO agreed to pull the Chinese "Huaweii" equipment before the government said they were "questionable"...he said he would pay to have all of sprint's equipment swapped to a different brand...without even being told to by the government. And that was a huge financial cost...but he didn't want anyone to think something that wasn't true of him and his intentions...that's quite impressive to me....

Wizard

LUCASJOHNSON19802,

Thank you, this is a great post which concentrates on many key issues concerning our clients.  The first issue is what the $10 fee for smartphone users is and isn’t.  Across the board smartphone users are charged $10 each month for data based on the kind of device that they have.  This fee does not depend on how much or what type of data you use because Sprint does not charge extra for 4G/LTE as opposed to 3G.  This fee is strictly based on the type of device that you have active on your line.  The alternative would be to have a tiered system that differentiates between data usage and that would become confusing and very expensive.

Another key issue is our new plans and what they mean for our clients.  This link does a pretty good job and compares these plans to the similar plans that our competition offers: http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-launches-unlimited-guarantee-and-new-unlimited-my-wa....

The upgrade deals being offered by our competitors sound great and are broken down this way: For a monthly fee, Equipment Installment Program (EIP) customers can upgrade as frequently as every 6 months at new customer pricing.  The monthly fee is on top of the EIP monthly charge. Customer must pay full SRP for the new device via upfront down payment (temporarily suspended by some carriers)and 24-month EIP.   These programs are For Well Qualified buyers only who buy under the current EIP.  No upgrades until 6 months after enrolling plus the cost of the device and only 2 upgrades per year.  And, the equipment installment payments do not carry over to the new device!!!

Sprint gives customers the ability to upgrade anytime by paying full SRP, as many times a year as they want without having to pay extra for the right to do so and does not charge an installment to do so.  When coupled in with the Buyback Program and Upgrade now program there really is no need for Sprint to counter those programs because they have not bested what we currently offer.

Thank You,

Michael C.

Sprint Social Care

Wizard

JonMcR,

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts on this thread.  Your insight in to the future of the network, what is and isn't being done with the plans and especially your take on the behind the scenes business dealings is unbelievably informative and I hope that what you have written gets quite a few views by any of our customers that are perusing through this site.  One again, than you.

Thank you,

Michael C.

Sprint Social Care

I found an interesting little article about the new upgrade plans offered by some of the other characters. I found it to be an interesting read. I don't know if I have to add a disclaimer to post a link, but here goes: Phandroid has no affiliation with Sprint, Google, AT&T, Verizon, or T-Mobile. Anything stated in the article is subjective to its author. I hope that covers it. Here's the link: T-Mobile JUMP! vs AT&T Next vs Verizon Edge

Wizard

inconsolable_me,

Thank you for the post. It was a good read but the comparisons were a bit off due to the fact that this portion of the article when speaking of one of our competitors new plans is glossed over when analyzing the plans, ”you have to have the service for at least six months before you can “upgrade” to your first smartphone, and you have to trade your old phone in if you aren’t finished paying it off” all the while paying monthly payments for the right to upgrade and the initial downpayment is only temporarily being waived while the program takes hold.  The article does not even address the qualifications for that particular program.

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care

Michael C.

Journeyman

i don't get how you are saying its glossed over when you quote what is said in the article? but yes it doesn't mention the qualifications from the other competitors, how ever they are the same qualifications that are "industry standard" for terms of service.

don't get me wrong, i am not saying they are good or bad deals. just trying to understand what you the sprint representative is trying to say. 

I agree that the comparisons may be off, I was just sharing the post. I thought of it as a basis for information about this as the other posts I'd found only repeated the stuff that can be found on the respective carriers' sites, and didn't have any further information other than just getting a new device more often. I know that the only way to find out for sure is to go to the carrier and find out for oneself.

Journeyman

Before I read that review I had looked at Verizon s and did think it was a great deal. The price of cell phones just needs to drop like computers have

Wizard

The price of phones isn't going to drop as computers have, at least not with those carriers. I do believe the synergies created by the Sprint + Softbank merger will create a better environment for us in the near future for phone/device purchases though.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat