Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**Sprints S3 does NOT have a Quad core processor**

Highlighted
Journeyman

**Sprints S3 does NOT have a Quad core processor**

I found it fishy that sprint listed the galaxy s3 as having a 1.5 dual core processor in it when samsung is releasing the phone with a Exynos 1.4 QUAD core processor in it, which is what brought this phone the hype it has now. It turns out, after an hour and a half talk with tech support, that sprint is NOT selling the model with a QUAD. This is blasphemous. The only feature this phone really has to stand up as the best phones on the market was the fact that it has an quad core processor in it. There is absolutely no reason to own this phone over any other droid out right now when it is being watered down to cater to the average customer who had no idea what he or she is buying. This huge change NOT being advertised is sneaky and a dirty business move to sell the same phone for the SAME PRICE with HALF the technology.

After finding this out yesterday you have just lost my purchase. I'ts bad enough that sprint offers little to nothing in terms of variety in high end droids and little to no windows phones, but now I have absolutely no reason to upgrade. And to finish things off, the customer service provided is awful and unqualified. I had to go through 5 people in multiple departments just to find someone who knew what a processor was. How do you hire these people if they don't even know about the technolgoy they are selling and giving advice about? I was more insulted over the tech support trying to explain its new "HD Camera" and dodging my questions than I was the fact that my call was being pushed around like an obligated favor.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9300_galaxy_s_iii-4238.php

28 REPLIES 28
Highlighted
Wizard

My choice at ATT is the HTC One X. That is quad core and I have already messed with it. I love that phone. Any phone is faster than mine anyway. I've had the HTC Hero since the first day it came out, I'm just picky about phones because I like to hold on to them for a while.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You do realize that the HTC One X on all carriers is a dual-core phone also right?  Also the U.S. version of the S3 beats the HTC One X in all benchmark tests.    There are currently no quad-core smartphones in the U.S. unless you import an international version yourself.

Highlighted
Wizard

Yup, AT&T One X is a dual core.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Are you just finding out that they are Dual Core? Really?? Any other phone you buy on EVERY OTHER network will be dual core unless you import one in. Why would you whine about that? Its technology.... Something BIGGER and BETTER will be out in a month anyway, so if you don't like this than wait for something else. You can rant about SPRINT all you want, but it is SAMSUNG who is providing the DUAL CORE to ALL US PROVIDERS!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

that's what people said back in 2010...

LiLBit555 wrote:

That is sad.  This is why we are moving to ATT in a couple months. Unlimited data will be gone for everyone on every cell company within a year anyway.

Highlighted
Journeyman

According to PC World there isn't. There will be soon.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/256197/smartphones_with_quadcore_chips_and_4g_lte_coming_soon.html

And no one snuck this in. If you follow cell phone news like you try and sound like you do by citing various mobile sites; you would know there are not any integrated quadcore/lte CPU's yet.

As far as the Krait goes. It is still a beast of a chip and to say that a quad core is the only redeeming quality of the SG3 is pretty ridiculous

kayvon_a wrote:

What does a grammar error have to do with my point? And there are quad core processors that work with LTE, look it up.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It would be a shame to miss out such a great phone because of a misdirected belief that 4 is better than 2.  There are many instances in life where 4 is not better than 2...  Dual core S3 is apparently as good or better than the Quad...  But let's use life...  4 pimples on your face is not better than 2.  Being called 4-eyes is not better than 2.  4 shots on the 9th green in golf is not better than 2...  Buy the phone.. stick with Sprint.. get your unlimited data...  and SMILE.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@ genocidalatom. Uhh are you slow? Do you know anything about how processors work at all? That comparison makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. More cores means more commands can be carried out faster. It literally blows my mind that people like you, who partake in conversations about technology can be that stupid.

And @bmorenick, look up the Nvidia ICERA. The only reason there are no phones being "sold" now with quad core processors in the states are simply because of marketing reasons, the only reason this technology has not poked its head out more is literally because Qualcom is a cash grubbing company who puts their profits before technological growth.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This thread is pointless.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sorry Kayvon_a, but you obviously are oblivious as to how CPU / GPU cores work.  I need only reference INTEL vs. AMD to prove the point.  Not all processors are created equal, regardless if they have the same frequency.  It comes down to many factors, but on the core level, each core architecture can execute X number of instructions per cycle, per core.  True.  But, one other things to consider is that some cores need MORE instructions to accomplish the same task.  To go one step further, since this is not only about the hardware, it is about the OS / software too. After all, you can have a million cores under the hood, but if the OS / software doesn't take advantage of it, it is wasted.  Current mobile developers (and yes, there are always exceptions) simple are not very multi-core savvy.  I am not saying they don't know how to add multi-core support to their application (not sure how good Android 4.0 API is for this, future OS's will only get better), not all application are multi-core friendly.  And don't even get me started on driver quality from the manufacturers, which also help determine system performance (system performance isn't just the raw hardware).

And if that isn't enough to cast reasonable doubt to your belief / understanding of science, I am sure there are plenty of A9 vs. A15 architecture comparisons on the web that further illustrate how the KRAIT CPU in the Snapdragon S4 might be more efficient than the A9-based Exynos.

http://www.arm.com/products/processors/cortex-a/index.php

From ARM site, on the A15 Core:  "Optimized Performance - Mobile configurations of the Cortex-A15 MPCore processor are expected to deliver over five times the performance of today’s top-of-the-line smartphones and over 10 times the aggregate performance of ARM processor-based infrastructure platforms, combined with ARM's signature low power consumption."

Highlighted
Journeyman

Dog, just stop. The Icera is only a soft modem, not a CPU. Perhaps you should look it up.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia-icera-products.html#ICERA410

Like I said, there are no integrated CPU/LTE chips on the market yet.

kayvon_a wrote:

@ genocidalatom. Uhh are you slow? Do you know anything about how processors work at all? That comparison makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. More cores means more commands can be carried out faster. It literally blows my mind that people like you, who partake in conversations about technology can be that stupid.

And @bmorenick, look up the Nvidia ICERA. The only reason there are no phones being "sold" now with quad core processors in the states are simply because of marketing reasons, the only reason this technology has not poked its head out more is literally because Qualcom is a cash grubbing company who puts their profits before technological growth.

Highlighted
Journeyman

There is no need to be nasty. This is a discussion forum, not a grade school playground.

I agree with Gravislord. Not to mention the fact that with newer technologies, bugs and kinks will always need to be worked out.

I would like to just say that we all should be thankful that a 'problem' such as this is insignificant compared to the fact that there are people who do not know where their next meal is coming from or when.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat