cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still no OTA KITKAT on my S3

Journeyman

Still no OTA KITKAT on my S3

Well, a week has come and gone, and shockingly, I have no access to kitkat. My phone still says I'm up to date. Sprint blames Samsung, and Samsung blames Sprint...

13 REPLIES 13
Journeyman

Re: Still no OTA KITKAT on my S3

If you really want the update, you can get it from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2737643

It is built from the open source kernel released by Samsung.

Wizard

No, that's the way Android updates work. Yelling at Sprint or Samsung isn't going to help.

Master

EMTRyan, we started rolling up the update on the first of May. Updates are rolled out in batches to random devices so there is no way to predict the exact time when you will get it on your device. You can always manually check under your device settings. Other wise, please be patient with us, it will get to you soon. Roxana Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Still waiting as well.  I guess there's no way to install official build with Kies?

Journeyman

Late last night my device said it had an update in the notification tray. I tapped it and a paragraph showed up indicating that it would install KitKat (at or around 500k). I tapped the button to install, my device shut down and restarted. Instead of the image typically seen when updating, it simply rebooted. I checked to confirm what I already suspected and I still had 4.3. I checked for updates but it said my device was up to date. I connected to Kies and it too said it was up to date.

Really strange. Unfortunately I don't have a screenshot to prove this happened, but it really did. So I guess I'm back in the wait queue. I was pretty shocked that I may have been getting the update within the first week, as it took me about a month to get the 4.3 update.

Master

Snarglefarg,

I apologize for that and will have to wait for KitKat to be resent from Samsung.

Thanks,

Sequoyah
Social Care
Journeyman

Samsung’s Galaxy S3 and the Galaxy S3 Mini variant are reportedly staying stranded on Android4.3 and 4.2 Jelly Bean respectively, rather than upgrading to 4.4 KitKat as expected. And the reason why is to do with RAM....http://www.knowyourmobile.com/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s3/22140/samsung-galaxy-s3-android-44-kitkat-up...

Highlighted
Journeyman

That story refers to the International S3.  The Sprint rollout will continue.

Journeyman

I know how you feel i still havent recieved the update either and my phone is having issues ever since the roll out of the update. been having problems with texts being delayed my mobile date is randomly turning off on me and some other things. just irritating how they are releasing this update.

Journeyman

This is for anyone that hasn't received the OTA yet IT took me about two tries during the JELLY BEAN update KITKAT took me about 15 tries its updating as i'm typing this ENJOY!!!!

I’m a little dubious about any tip that advises: “It’s also worth noting that this fix Doesn't

always work on the first try. In a recent update it took me two tries, but some users have reported it working the first time, while others have said it took many attempts.” This is generally a sign that you've stopped working with technology and have crossed into the territory of superstitious ritual.

The actual trick behind this invocation is to clear your Google Services Framework data. Once completed, your phone’s System Update page should show the last update as occurring in 1969, theoretically giving you priority for an update.

1. Navigate to Settings -> Apps.
  2. Select the option to see All applications.
  3. 1 Tap on Google Services Framework
  4. 2 Click clear Data -> OK.
  5. 3 Click Force Stop -> OK.
  6. 4 Click update samsung software
  7. I'Ve used this method waiting on both OTA updates now & both times its worked...

Journeyman

My update arrived a second time on 5/11/14. This time the update was applied. I'm very happy. Device is much more responsive than it ever was with 4.3. Thank you Sprint for this update. I know it's a lot of work to support older phones, but you really made the right decision here. Much appreciated!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat