cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timed repeat texts... For days... as well as other text issues.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Timed repeat texts... For days... as well as other text issues.

Considering I can't find the same problem anywhere on the net I figured I'd start a new discussion and see if anyone else had this problem, or better yet a resolution...

For about a month I've had severe and annoying text problems, and it literally started when I went to send out a group text to 20+ people, and hasn't been able to be resolved since. It's to the point where I now ignore all my texts because 99% are just old repeats...

Outgoing texts

• Sometimes messages come up with red X that the message didn't go through, but the person gets the message multiple times (as many as ten times, without me hitting resend)
  • Some messages aren't received for hours or even days.

Incoming Texts

• Annoyingly repeat over and over again, especially from others with Sprint. The strangest part is, the messages repeat for days at a diminishing timed interval. Initially they repeate a min or so after getting the 1st message, then exactly every 5 min I get the same message, soon it changes to every 10min, half hour, hour, 3 hours, 6 hours... I can get the same text for a week straight. Although it happens with everyone who texts me, there is one specific contact that does it much more than any other contact, and is the only one that repeats for days.
  • Messages are greatly delayed often.  If someone texts me in the AM and sends me for example 10 messages, it might not be until 24 hours later I receive all 10 messages.
  • Texts can be out of order

A few side notes and things I've tried, because I've read some forums that although not the same issue, somewhat similar:

• Model SPH-L710 - Android Version 4.0.4 - Baseband Version710VPLI3 - Kernel 3.0.8-1092716 - Hardware L710.14
  • Left battery out overnight
  • Updated everything, multiple times (when available) Profile, PLR, and everything else...
  • Did factory Reset on Phone
  • Called Sprint  (btw Sprint, thanks for transferring me to 6 people who had me do the exact same thing, and then never calling me back about this issue =[ )
    • Sprint reported no errors with towers
    • Reps had me remove battery, reboot, enter codes to reset phone with them (I don't know the specifics about the codes they had me enter in my phone or what they tried on their end)
  • I have an AirRave, and that has been noted in several forums to text issues.
    • The phone was activated at Best Buy, so not under the AirRave where some people mentioned problems can happen.
    • The problem happens with or without the AirRave connected.
    • Resetting the AirRave does not fix anything.
    • Turned AirRave off for a week, no change on problem.
    • Tried all things both on and off the AirRave for troubleshooting...
  • The problem happens from NJ to NH, so it doesn't matter what towers I'm connecting to.
  • The problem happens when roaming and not roaming
  • I have noticed a preparing network message and green icon at the top taskbar sometimes when right before it repeats.
  • My Guess: it seems as though the confirmation portion of the phone that lets the network know a message was received or sent is having issues. This seems like a software issue, not hardware, but how with a few factory resets is this not being fixed?

Getting very close to cancelling my contract at this point because this problem is so annoying I hate my phone at this point, and I've been with Sprint for about 15 years... Pretty disappointed with the lack of service I'm getting with this issue.

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Timed repeat texts... For days... as well as other text issues.

Here is an example. You can see how it changed from every half hour to every hour in this message... This message was originally sent at 8:34am, and has repeated 21 times so far today.

2012-11-18 21.30.11.jpg

Highlighted
GrandMaster

usually this has something to do with the network itself..unless for some reason switching from airplane mode back over to normal reception is hanging it up in there somehow..first i have really read of this problem

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

I should add, last night I manually installed 4.1.1 since I never got the push update and this did not change anything either; still getting the same exact texts in the screenshot above. I never use airplane mode, how would that cause issue?

Highlighted
Wizard

B.KRISAK,

I'm very sorry to hear that you're experiencing so many issues with your service.  I know how frustrating it can be to send and receive duplicate or delayed text messages.  When a text message duplicates or is delayed, it is usually indicative of a coverage issue.  For instance, if I were traveling through a roaming area, my text messages might wait to officially send the message until I'm back in Sprint coverage.  In that instance, since my phone had tried multiple times to send the message while I was traveling, it might also duplicate the message when it finally does go through.

Since we sent you an Airave, that does support the coverage theory.  Would you mind sending me your City, State and nearest cross streets so I can review your area for possible issues or coverage gaps?

Sincerely,

Fergie_B
Sprint Technical Support
Community Hours: 9am-2pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

Highlighted
GrandMaster

sometimes when going from no reception to having reception the phones will goof up. same goes for traveling into a roaming area and back into a normal reception area..no idea why it happens but at times the texts will just come in all cadiwhompis..

which if i would have read fergie's responce answers exactly what im just now saying lol..looks like i need more coffee

B.KRISAK wrote:

I should add, last night I manually installed 4.1.1 since I never got the push update and this did not change anything either; still getting the same exact texts in the screenshot above. I never use airplane mode, how would that cause issue?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

I'll be happy to send you a PM with my address info, but as I mentioned in my original post, it does not matter where I am when this is happening, and is not localized to my primary residence nor does it seem to be related by my signal strength.  I actually have the Airave from my previous address, and the only need for it at this new address is a bit of spotty service if I'm doing laundry in the basement, which I'm not down there often, but the rest of the house I could do without (Have a consistent 3 bars or more). I turned off the Airave for a week to troubleshoot, and it did not really make any noticeable difference between having it on and not, but also did not help with the texting issues.

Highlighted
Wizard

B.KRISAK,

I understand that you mentioned the issue happens everywhere, however you mentioned that it happened whether roaming or not.  Does this mean that you travel in and out of roaming frequently?

Sincerely

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support
Community Hours: 9am-2pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

Highlighted
Wizard

B.KRISAK wrote:

Considering I can't find the same problem anywhere on the net I figured I'd start a new discussion and see if anyone else had this problem, or better yet a resolution...

For about a month I've had severe and annoying text problems, and it literally started when I went to send out a group text to 20+ people, and hasn't been able to be resolved since. It's to the point where I now ignore all my texts because 99% are just old repeats...

Outgoing texts

• Sometimes messages come up with red X that the message didn't go through, but the person gets the message multiple times (as many as ten times, without me hitting resend)
  • Some messages aren't received for hours or even days.

Incoming Texts

• Annoyingly repeat over and over again, especially from others with Sprint. The strangest part is, the messages repeat for days at a diminishing timed interval. Initially they repeate a min or so after getting the 1st message, then exactly every 5 min I get the same message, soon it changes to every 10min, half hour, hour, 3 hours, 6 hours... I can get the same text for a week straight. Although it happens with everyone who texts me, there is one specific contact that does it much more than any other contact, and is the only one that repeats for days.
  • Messages are greatly delayed often.  If someone texts me in the AM and sends me for example 10 messages, it might not be until 24 hours later I receive all 10 messages.
  • Texts can be out of order

A few side notes and things I've tried, because I've read some forums that although not the same issue, somewhat similar:

• Model SPH-L710 - Android Version 4.0.4 - Baseband Version710VPLI3 - Kernel 3.0.8-1092716 - Hardware L710.14
  • Left battery out overnight
  • Updated everything, multiple times (when available) Profile, PLR, and everything else...
  • Did factory Reset on Phone
  • Called Sprint  (btw Sprint, thanks for transferring me to 6 people who had me do the exact same thing, and then never calling me back about this issue =[ )
    • Sprint reported no errors with towers
    • Reps had me remove battery, reboot, enter codes to reset phone with them (I don't know the specifics about the codes they had me enter in my phone or what they tried on their end)
  • I have an AirRave, and that has been noted in several forums to text issues.
    • The phone was activated at Best Buy, so not under the AirRave where some people mentioned problems can happen.
    • The problem happens with or without the AirRave connected.
    • Resetting the AirRave does not fix anything.
    • Turned AirRave off for a week, no change on problem.
    • Tried all things both on and off the AirRave for troubleshooting...
  • The problem happens from NJ to NH, so it doesn't matter what towers I'm connecting to.
  • The problem happens when roaming and not roaming
  • I have noticed a preparing network message and green icon at the top taskbar sometimes when right before it repeats.
  • My Guess: it seems as though the confirmation portion of the phone that lets the network know a message was received or sent is having issues. This seems like a software issue, not hardware, but how with a few factory resets is this not being fixed?

Getting very close to cancelling my contract at this point because this problem is so annoying I hate my phone at this point, and I've been with Sprint for about 15 years... Pretty disappointed with the lack of service I'm getting with this issue.

This was among the same problems I had that were talked about in this forum:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/92099?tstart=0

I didn't list getting repeated texts, but that was another of the maybe issues I had both on and off the Airave.  I would also not receive texts messages for hours, and then receive them multiple times at random.  There were other issues, but you see my list in the forum link above.

As you have stated it is not an issue with your Airave, and I would support it not being an issue with the phone.  From my understand and from what I experienced, when the service was transferred from one phone to another something didn't complete correctly.  I wish I knew the technical details, but they cut off my line (as if I left Sprint) and reactivated my phone and that fixed all my problems (the tech informed me their was code they had to enter in the system to prevent a disconnect fee because this was part of troubleshooting). 

Some have said this is the same as resetting the MSID, I can't speak to that for sure, but it would be another step to try and resolve the issue you are seeing.

I wish you the best with trying to get with a Sprint technician that can properly identify and troubleshoot this issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I would not say I roam frequently.  Occassionally when traveling, maybe a couple times a week or so I'll notice I'm in a roaming area. There is a dead spot I drive through every few days or so about a half a mile away.

@ halldl02 - It is very rare that I can not send out and get the red "X" that it did not go through. That tends to happen more so when I am receiveing a text at the same time I am trying to send one, but sometimes outside of that example. Thanks, and I had read your post prior to adding this one.

Highlighted
Wizard

To clarify, while I had the issues, I ONLY had trouble sending when on an Airave.  Whenever I was on a regular Sprint connection I could send just fine, but not receive... or should I say I would receive messages multiple times hours/days later.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint has the worst customer service in the world.  I have been left on hold from 30-45 minutes then eventually just hanging up.  When I call back it takes me another 30 minutes to get back to where I left off; then you guessed it, back on hold.  Sprint can kiss my ass.

I’ve been dealing with delayed and missed text messages since March of 2012, and still have the problem as of today.  All Sprint has offered me is $20 service credit.  Guess what Sprint you have cost me thousands in missed work due to your piece of sh it network.

I will continue to drag your name thru the mud until you cancel my service or fix my delayed messaging and compensate me for my losses. 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat