cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Those Looking to upgrade from the EVO 4G to the Galaxy S3

Journeyman

To Those Looking to upgrade from the EVO 4G to the Galaxy S3

In short don't. Looking back, I should have just gotten a new battery and waited for the deployment of LTE before upgrading.  This phone will essentially be a downgrade in service and some functionality.

You will no longer have flash support

You will lose your current 4G coverage (unless you are one of the very very lucky few), the 3G network is extremely slow

For some reason its now hit or miss on whether YouTube videos will load

And now the camera sound can't even be disabled

Even my WIFI which used to be great isn't working as well and will randomly stop or is slow

Seriously, this will not be an upgrade for you and if you watch a lot of videos on your phone, you'll probably find that you will begin to have problems.  I'm thinking of getting a new battery for my old EVO and just using that and then trying again when LTE is available in my coverage area.

11 REPLIES 11
GrandMaster

Re: To Those Looking to upgrade from the EVO 4G to the Galaxy S3

if you scroll through this forum you'll find a fix for that shutter sound deal.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

is it downloading a third party app for the camera?  The quality isn't as good when you do that.

GrandMaster

its not a 3rd party app. i'll snag up either the post or link. gimme a min

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
GrandMaster

../people/billard412 Newbie  

1 posts since
Jun 23, 2012

Currently Being Moderated

33. Nov 29, 2012 5:00 PM (in response to jajohns99)

Re: Turning off Shutter Sound on Camera  

Not tryin to revive an old thread here but there is a way to silence this without root or hurting the warranty. You must be on the latest firmware and youll need a pc. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=34792575&postcount=13 Do as stated here. Will take roughly 15 mins

there yuh go

Journeyman

WOW where to begin with this one.

First off you should try to compare apples to apples and get info straight.

Its not the Phones fault, carrier or manufacturer that Adobe Flash is no longer supported on JB and above.  Feel free to blame Adobe on that one, OR websites for not embracing HTML5 (i think that is the new stuff).

So feel free to take that off your list of complaints. Its not actully valid.

3G/4G Wimax / 4G LTE eh i will leave that one alone. But i will say lots of is is NOT model dependent but location dependent. Im in Dallas. 3G at my residence is great. 500k to 1meg down and at work im on 4G LTE all day. So im happy.

You tube not loading is an issue thats been addressed and had to do with multimedia proxys that Sprint has.. Some fixes are around there on the internet, but it might be easier to complain about it then fix it.
Oh by the way, i fixed mine and it works well.

Camera sound not being disabled is a privacty law that i believe all the carriers agreed to. Feel free to google that to prove me wrong. But many people were using cameras on their phones illegally and as a result the carriers were forced to enable the sound and not turn it off. So thats not a fault of Sprint or the manufacturer, blame the government on that one..

My WiFi works great, i get 20-25 megs down at home and 2-10 down at work. Doesnt drop and is reliable. I also switch between the GS3 and EVO LTE..  Im thinking bad phone or user error.

So what was the point of this thread?

Oh right, a user who lost wimax and didnt look to see if or when he will get LTE..

GrandMaster

quoting the wrong person broham

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well said. This is a great phone.

Journeyman

Whoah Lady.  No need to get your panties in a bunch.  I'm just sharing my experiences with the new phone. 

But thanks for your response.  I'll take all of your suggestions  to heart and write a letter of complaint, no I'll boycott......no better yet, I'll picket every company that still uses Flash and demand that they all update their websites because my device can't view their pages.  That's a lot more practical than Sprint supporting a work around while companies update their websites.  You're a genius.  How does it feel?

What's that?  You'll leave the 3G/4G Wimax / 4G LTE alone? Oh good.  I can save my Zanax.

As for you tube, that's awesome that there is a fix somewhere out there on the internets.  It might be nice if my phone was upgraded with said fix. But pardon the eff out of me for not having the time to go full on nerd trying to find fixes for something that was standard and worked well in my previous phone. 

I'll sit here and patiently await the passage of the bill you're referring to. (hint: it didn't pass)

Oh and congrats on your wonderful wifi connection.  Seriously.  That's awesome and really put me in my proverbial place.

GrandMaster

now that youre in your proverbial place...its still unknown if theyre going to change back the option to shut off the shutter sound or not..as usual yall will have to wait for a update to come out to see. the youtube deal could always be that its not yet up to date with JB that you guys now have..again a update is probably needed..i DID however notice a update the other day through the market for youtube that if memory serves was for JB and up on devices..dont quote me on it..

as for the flash deal... a work around will have to come from google themselves for it to work.. the more hands in the cookie jar the more crumbs we will have when an actual update comes out

i cant brag about my wifi connection..its usually around 10ish mbps.. ...some day..i will upgrade into lightning fast goodness..

I have both (EVO has been retired) and IMHO there is no contest. The EVO4g was great - the first of its kind - but the GS3 is faster, more memory, better screen etc. etc. I'm not trying to diminish how good the EVO4g was and/or is but its older tech now. It probably still does everything I need a smartphone to do but its past its prime. Samsung got it right with the GS3. When the Galaxy note first came out I figured I would get one once there was a Sprint version but I have been so satisfied with the GS3 I'm going to hold off (at least 'till my eye site gets worse ). Rick

Journeyman

I have been sprint over 15+ years..ya...15 years...my first smart phone is HTC EVO 4G, I got one for me and one for my wife, got it 2010 or so..

This year black friday, I decide to get a $49 S3 and a note II for her to replace both of our HTC EVO 4G.

-Battery life compare to the Evo, it is just amazing, on my S3, I used not as often as my wife, I can use the S3 for 3 days;

compare the Evo to Note II, I guess it is far to compare, the note 2, can last at least 2 days with very heavy use, since the nature of the battery is holding a lot of charge. I have bought her a extended battery for her old Evo, it is bulk and didn't seen help a whole lot.

-UI and repsonsiveness: S3 got a powerful processor, and Note 2 even got a lot more power. It is very smooth and very fast reponsive. You can do a lot more.

In my opinon, these days the smart phone technology have improved a lot compare two years ago. I am sure when I upgrade the next phone after two years..that will be a very big difference again.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat