cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning off Shutter Sound on Camera

Journeyman

Turning off Shutter Sound on Camera

Is there a way to turn off the shutter sound on the camera?  I don't see this option in the camera settings.  I know that you can turn off the shutter sound on the AT&T model, so why not on Sprint?

50 REPLIES 50
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Turning off Shutter Sound on Camera

This is the answer you will get from sprint: 

"Sprint has had a policy in place for the last couple of years as part of our device camera specification that requires our OEM partners to ensure that the shutter sound in the camera cannot be muted by the end user. This policy is in place for privacy reasons so that using the native camera creates a sound that would be noticeable to any subjects of a photograph, willing or unwilling. This policy is another example of Sprint™s ongoing commitment to privacy when it comes to mobile device usage. This specification does not have any bearing on 3rd party camera applications that a user may download and use outside of the native device camera."

So, look for a third party camera app.

Journeyman

Thanks for the info.  I thought that might be the case, but was hoping for a different answer (like its hidden somewhere).  Thanks! 

Journeyman

It's the same sort of logic that seeks to ban McDonalds for making people fat. Somehow, in the case of the shutter sound, the bad guys get to make the rules for us all. Which I guess in the good ole' US of A is becoming the norm.

Journeyman

what! since when did Sprint become the Social Etiquette Police?

what about graduation ceremonies? weddings? funerals? sleeping pets? any number of valid reasons one would need a silent shutter?

Sprint is far overstepping their role cell phone service provider. this is infuriating.

Journeyman

I don't have the S3, I have the Evo LTE but maybe this will work.  On the Evo, if I have the ringer volume on vibrate, no shutter sound, if I have the ringer volume up, I get a shutter sound.  I didn't see any settings to enable/disable it in the camera settings.  I know they are different phones, but maybe the S3 does the same thing.

Journeyman

It's just another way to control people.  I'm really not happy with some of the latest Sprint moves.  From not being able to access text message numbers to disabling the online picture mail site, Sprint claims that privacy is their reason, well, as the account holder and business owner, I should be able to access this information.  I am of the understanding that AT&T allows users to see the text message records.  Not sure about picture mail, but it is what it is.  I think what's been most frustrating is the terrible service over the last month or two.  I'm continually being told its due to tower upgrades or switching to 4G...  Funny, this seems to happen every quarter and I hear the same excuse...  I digress though, I have to agree with the person who discussed the shutter sound at weddings, etc... 

Journeyman

thank you for your suggestion. it does not work however. there is no option to turn it off and it will ALWAYS loudly sound no matter if you are in silent mode or not or even if you have turned off all your volume streams (even the extended ones with 3rd party apps).

they left it out by design.

the only way to disable the sound is to root the phone and manually navigate to the sound file and delete it/rename it/etc.. this will probably void the warranty, though, and is an intensive, abysmal solution.

Journeyman

Oh well, it was worth a shot.  The Evo does disable it when on vibrate, but they are different phones and software of course.

Journeyman

I found this free app in Google Play caled Silent Camera. It doesn't take pictures as well as the stock camera does. But at least you can use it if you don't want the shutter sound.

Journeyman

FYI  -  There is an app in the Google Play store called Fast Burst Camera, which is very fast indeed, the paid version of which, has a setting which allows the shutter sound to be silenced.

Wizard

The Galaxy Nexus does not have this issue.  The noise can be silenced. 

Cheers,

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat