cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning off Shutter Sound on Camera

Journeyman

Re: Turning off Shutter Sound on Camera

Sprint needs to fix this problem with an upgrade immediately, the people should have the rights to chose if they wants there shutter to be on or off not the Sprint, and they can loose customer for regulating what they can have on there phones now. BIG MISTAKE SPRINT.   

Journeyman

Sprint, you're a dumbass!! Perhaps DSLR's should have their shutter sound option removed as well. Ridiculous.

Journeyman

thank you for the suggestion. those apps, however, simply take a screenshot of the camera view. that's why they are tiny and look terrible. it's like 0.7MP. the point here is that Sprint made a decision they have no right to make- you don't have the freedom to choose shutter sound.

Wizard

The fact that a Sprint represenative said this is a policy doesn't hold water with me.  But IF it were true I'd question how long has it been in place, and if that answer came back as 2+ years, you'd have them caught in a lie.  Actually might be less because I'm sure not ALL the phones are setup that way.  I can tell you a fact that the Samsung Epic (granted 2 years old now) did allow the shutter sound to be silent.

My question is this a ICS "feature"?

Journeyman

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  I too tried Silent Camera, and while it is an option its just not the same as the camera.  I also tried Camera Zoom FX since that does have an option to turn off the shutter sound.  However that didn't work.

I'm disappointed that no one from Sprint has addressed this.  Even a confirmation about the privacy issue would be better than no comment at all.

Journeyman

Journeyman

Ahhh!

I have just read some legal issues !

The camera sound, "has been enabled", for privacy reasons .. so that way people are not "secretly" taking photos ... I can see why they would enable this!

Here is where I found this information out, and I kind of agree!

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/583031-camera-shutter-sound-off.html

Highlighted
Wizard

jajohns99 wrote:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  I too tried Silent Camera, and while it is an option its just not the same as the camera.  I also tried Camera Zoom FX since that does have an option to turn off the shutter sound.  However that didn't work.

I'm disappointed that no one from Sprint has addressed this.  Even a confirmation about the privacy issue would be better than no comment at all.

It is indeed a Sprint policy, matlk summed it up nicely, it is due to privacy concerns over people taking photos without consent.

Journeyman

Thats horrible.  What if I want to take a picture of myself without people knowing?  What if I want to film a cop abusing a person without them knowing?  What if I want to take a picture or video of something bad going on with out the people who are comitting the act knowing?  You are violating OUR privacy rights as owners of the phone.

I heard that they figured out what gene people have that allows them to have a photographic memory and there is a movement to screen people for that gene at birth so a "buzzer' can be installed. Hopefully this will safeguard everyone's privacy. -- (just kidding).

Journeyman

You can root access your phone and replace or change the sound files for the camera or you can download another camera program that will allow you to silence the camera. Rooting the phone is a bit complex.

Journeyman

Rooting your phone also voids the manufacturer's warranty as well as Sprint's warranty. If you want to keep the warranty, basically you're stuck with a phone that gives an entire room notice that you're taking a picture.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat