cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WON'T RECOGNIZE SD CARDS

Journeyman

WON'T RECOGNIZE SD CARDS

So, when I bought my GS3, it wouldn't recognize the SD card. bought a new one, it worked. 45 days later, it said there was no SD card, SD card had been removed, SD card error, everything you could think of. I put in an old SD card from an HTC that I had, worked fine. Today I sent my phone away to be fixed only to find out that now this new SD doesn't work. SO what the- is up with SD cards and the GS3?! I tried it in other phones and such and it was working, today I tried it in a digital camera, no dice.  It's a sandisk ultra. Before I had PNY that didn't work. PLEASE help me. If I just sent a working phone away because literally everycard but one that I touch is bunk, I'll cry! 

Tags (2)
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
GrandMaster

Re: WON'T RECOGNIZE SD CARDS

dont quote me on it but i think once you reformat the card with the phone it wont work the same when you put it into something like a camera..you would have to reformat it from a computer and then put it into the camera..i think..

im really not sure ...i have only had one sd card go bunk on me and that was the original one that came with the OEVO..i since then upgraded to the 32GB sd card and have yet to have any issues..you might try sending a pm to RC1024...he has a bit of background with the sd cards..

post what you find out

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Wizard

Thanks for posting. It would be hard to tell at this point. I researched to see if this is a known issue with the GSIII, but did not find it to be. I also have a GSIII and have not experience this issue. At any time did you remove your sd card without using the unmount option?

Morris L.

Sprint Social Media Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

I took my Samsung Galaxy S3 to a Sprint store yesterday for the same problem.  They replaced the card reader but today I am having the same issue.  I have 2 friends with this problem and so far no solution.  The phone seems to function ok even with the error message.  I was told to be sure my phone is updated to 4.1.1 which it is and the problem continues.  If you find a solution please let me know.

Highlighted
Master

I've seen this several times where files on the card were causing it to automatically unmount from the phone and show as not being read. In most of those cases deleting the ".android-secure" folder on teh SD card fixed the issue. It's a hidden folder that contains secure OS files for Android and your apps. You may have to reinstall some applications from the Play Store after deleting the folder. It fixed the phones I've worked on where the issue wasn't the card slot itself.

Highlighted
Journeyman

How do I do this or should I go to the Sprint store and ask them to do it?

Highlighted
Master

If you have a memory card read in your computer you can try utilizing that and just delete the ".android-secure" folder. If you do not have a memory card reader on your computer (or a friend/family member/neighbor/etc.) I would recommend taking the phone/memory card into a Service and Repair location to have the technicians do so. Regular Sales Only and Advanced Exchange Sprint stores will not have a triage laptop with a memory card reader to do so.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I  was able to look at the files on the sd card but there was no folder "android-secure+.  I do have a folder just "android".  I viewed all files including hidden.  Any other ideas?

Highlighted
Master

If there is no ".android-secure" folder on the card, I would recommend trying to copy all of the files off the card, and then reformat it. Try using the card again before putting any of the files back on the card. If it works properly then you know it's a file/files that are causing the issue.

Highlighted
Wizard

What size is this SD card?

If its greater than or equal to 32GB, then you are going to need to format it to FAT32 using a tool like this: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/guiformat.exe This can be read then by the Android system and windows/mac computers.

If it is less than 32GB, then no idea what's wrong with it.

EDIT: you can format smaller cards to FAT32 as well if you like, won't hurt anything, might be worth a shot.  Also, when in doubt, do a factory reset!

Highlighted
GrandMaster

doesnt reformatting it in the phone do the same exact thing? sets up the sd card to be used with the phone? thats how i always do it and havent ran into any issues. is the other way better?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Master

fireguy_6364 wrote:

doesnt reformatting it in the phone do the same exact thing? sets up the sd card to be used with the phone? thats how i always do it and havent ran into any issues. is the other way better?

If the phone is not reading the SD card though, then you won't be able to format it from the phone. It would have to be formatted externally by a computer.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat