cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Google Voice/Voicemail/PRL Issue

Journeyman

Weird Google Voice/Voicemail/PRL Issue

I use Google Voice to handle my voice mail on my phone, always have.  (Note, not the full integration that started being offered a year or so ago, the original setup where your Google Voice and Sprint number remain separate, but missed calls on your cell go to Google Voicemail.)

A couple months ago, with no changes made, all of a sudden I was being told my people that my voicemail wasn't working anymore.  I called my own phone, "missed" the call, and was told that my number had been disconnected... What?    

A phone call with Sprint ended in me being told to update my PRL and it started working again.

Then, a few weeks later, it happened again, and again, no apparent changes had been made to cause it.  Instead of getting my google voice mail message, missed callers hear that my phone number is no longer in service and has been disconnected.  I tried updating my PRL again and now my voicemail works.

What on earth?  This doesn't even make sense with my understanding of what a PRL is, so can anyone explain to me what is going on, and how to prevent it from happening again?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Weird Google Voice/Voicemail/PRL Issue

JennaAlive-

Good afternoon! This issue certainly sounds like it's frustrating! First, have you tried deactivating your call forwarding to your Google Voice number and reactivating it? To follow the step by step instructions, head over to www.google.com/voice, log in to your account and follow the instructions to disable and re-enable your voice mail.

Let me know if you're able to do this successfully.

Regards,

William

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

I have done that several times, actually.  The ONLY thing that seems to affect it is renewing my PRL, which is what Sprint support had me do the first time we dealt with it. 

Highlighted

JennaAlive-

Is your Google Voicemail up and running right now on your device? I take it that this is on and off? Have you performed any device swaps as of late?

-William

Journeyman

I tested it right now to answer your question.

1.  Called my phone from a landline.  Ignored incoming call to send to voicemail.  Received "number is no longer in service" error.

2.  Updated PRL.  Called again, went straight to voicemail without ever ringing, but did get voicemail.

3.  Waited a minute, called again.  Phone rang, ignored call, got "number is no longer in service" message again.

4.  Updated PRL again.  Waited a few minutes before calling.  Phone rang, ignored, got "number is no longer in service" error again.

No phone swaps, nothing weird.  Would this be something a clean install might fix?  I don't want to do that, but will if I have to.  This is bumming me out.  I'm missing important calls and the callers are being told my number is dead, which it isn't!  I don't want to stop using Google Voicemail like I have for YEARS, but I don't see what option I've got at this point.

JennaAlive-

This sounds really frustrating. I use the Google Voicemail as well and L-O-V-E it. I think a reset may correct it, however make sure to backup everything prior to doing so. If you continue to have an issue after that, send me a private message and we'll link up and figure out what's going on.

Thanks for the update!

William

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat