cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which phone? SGS3 or new EVO LTE?

GrandMaster

Re: Which phone? SGS3 or new EVO LTE?

unless i missread something on other sites true the quad core has its ups...but everything pointed out that the dual core s4 out performed the quad core more often than not..and before you start rambling on about the LTE part of it remember that most that post in here already know this...not all..but most.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

It’s going down in here between HTC fan boy and Samsung Fan boy.

I love it because I’m a fan boy of technology. I was having the same problem on which phone to pick. I have not seen any youtube videos on the HTC Evo LTE vs Samsung SGS3.

Journeyman

That would be awesome if we could find a video comparing the LTE and the SGS3!  I agree.

Wizard

I think Fireguy has a great idea to get both of them and decide from there.  I have done a lot of research on both phones, that's why I just really wanted opinions. I've had the original EVO 4G and then the 3D. I've always been satisfied, but I'm always up for trying something new.

GrandMaster

since youre already running the 3D you wont be shocked that the LTEVO has the same quiet external speaker lol.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Coppied directly from your post

"It has 2GB RAM, whereas the Evo has only 1GB, which means that wireless speed will potentially be a lot slower since there's not enough RAM to swap files efficiently. "

Also according to the reviews I have been reading the 1GB EVO gets beat or is on par with the 2GB SGS3. RAM will have nothing to do with processing speed. How does having more RAM make the Processor run faster?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6022/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-review-att-and-tmobile-usa-variants

Journeyman

Okay, Firechicken.  I missed where I wrote that.  My error.
RAM does not make the processor run faster.  RAM allows the applications you are running to run faster by serving as temporary storage for the files that the app is opening.  On large applications, there are either large files or numerous files, which are opened sequentially and take up a lot of RAM memory.  Larger RAM memory speeds up the applications.  The processors run at a static speed, essentially.  It works just like your PC or laptop.  If you have a slow PC, many times adding RAM will help speed up your apps.  PC's are dependent upon the capacity of the motherboard and the CPU size anad type, of course.  

I don't want to have to give you a full-blown education on how RAM works.  I don't owe you that.  However, I do owe you acknowledgement that I erred inthe statement you quoted.  And I hope the info I just gave you helps you to better understand RAM.  If you need more info on RAM you might try CNET.

Journeyman

What you say is true only if the application can utilize more than 1 GB of RAM or whatever that actual available RAM is.  If it doesn't need it, it won't help performance.  What you are describing is more pertinent to PC's where you use swap space, and RAM is always faster than a HDD, thus the performance gains seen with SDD's.

An application like Angry Birds isn't going to run faster on a S3 over an Evo, I would be more concerned about graphics performance at that point.

Journeyman

Nitpicking is not something I'll engage in.  I'm through responding to this discussion about what app runs how fast and why.  Start another thread if you want to discuss that stuff.  Be respectful to the O/P, please.  And look up the info at Samsung or CNET, like I did, if you'd like further education.

Journeyman

Sorry if you thought I was nitipicking, I was just challenging your assertion that more RAM equates to better processor performance, since it was inaccurate.  More RAM allows you to have more things in memory or larger things in memory.

And for the record, my username is two years old and was created when I got my OGEvo.  I am ready to upgrade to either the Evo LTE or the S3 and am still trying to decide which one to buy based on the user experience posted on these forums, so I am watching the S3 and the Evo LTE forums before making a decision.

Wizard

Dude, that speaker thing may actually be a deal breaker for me this time around. I've liked my 3D a lot, but that speaker is ridiculous. That's actually something I use a lot on a phone, so it is important to me. The other thing is, since we have a little boy now, is the camera has to be good. From what I've read, that seems to be pretty good on both.

GrandMaster

i personally have yet to go down and check out just how low the  speaker phone is on the LTEVO..then again you have that 14 day window to mess with it and see if its workable or not..i havent heard much on the sIII camera but from what im hearing and seeing with the camera on the LTEVO is its pretty awesome..some issues with indoor lighting but aside from that havent seen many issues.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat