cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to make handsfree calls when the screen is off / locked unless "screen lock" set to "swipe" or "motion" which are not secure

Highlighted

unable to make handsfree calls when the screen is off / locked unless "screen lock" set to "swipe" or "motion" which are not secure

i want to be able to use my bluetooth headset to make handsfree calls thru my s3 when the screen is off / locked when the "screen lock" is set to "pattern". 

if the s3 screen is unlocked and i press the bluetooth headset call button then the s voice opens.  this is good.

if i have the "screen lock" set to "swipe" or "motion" and i have the "wake up in lock screen" enabled and the s3 screen is locked and i press the bluetooth headset call button then the s voice opens.  this is good. 

unfortunately, the "wake up in lock screen" option is unavailable when the s3 "screen lock" is set to anything other than "swipe" or "motion".  swipe and motion are not secure. 

i have tried several apps to work around this, including "bluetooth launch", "cyberon voice" ($6), and "bluetooth app launcher" ($2) but all have fallen short.  how do we request sprint and/or samsung to fix this?  i really don't want to go thru the hassle of rooting my s3 - mainly because sprint and/or samsung make it so hard to perform software updates thereafter. 

i am pretty sure that samsung made this decision because i have seen people in verizon's forum complaining as well. 

i currently have jelly bean installed but this problem exisited when ice cream sandwich was installed. 

thanks

scott

40 REPLIES 40
Wizard

Re: unable to make handsfree calls when the screen is off / locked unless "screen lock" set to "swipe" or "motion" which are not secure

ferrell.scott,

What is the make an model of your Bluetooth handset?  Having that information may allow us to make some suggestions for you.

Sincerely,

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support

Community Hours: 9am-2pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

Re: unable to make handsfree calls when the screen is off / locked unless "screen lock" set to "swipe" or "motion" which are not secure

i have a motorola h790 bluetooth headset. 

all indications are that the bluetooth headset works without any issues (3 examples below).  i do not have another bluetooth headset; however, i am able to pair my bluetooth headset with my work phone and it works flawlessly. 

1) if the s3 screen is unlocked and i press the bluetooth headset call button then the s voice opens, i say a command (i.e. "call mom home") and the s3 performs the command (i.e. makes the call).

2) if i have the s3 "screen lock" set to "swipe" or "motion" and i have the s3 "wake up in lock screen" option enabled and the s3 screen is locked or off and i press the bluetooth headset call button then the s voice opens, i say a command (i.e. "call mom home") and the s3 performs the command (i.e. makes the call).

3) if i have the s3 "screen lock" set to "pattern" and i have the s3 "wake up in lock screen" option enabled and the s3 screen is locked or off and i receive a call, i either turn on my  bluetooth headset and the s3 answers the call or if the bluetooth headset is already on i press the call button and the s3 answers the call.

back to the problem...

the definition of  the "wake up in lock screen" option in the s3  "s voice settings" is "unlock device with your wake-up command when swipe or motion lock is enabled"; hence, it's no surprise that i cannot perform handsfree calls from my bluetooth headset when the s3 "screen lock" is not set to "swipe" or "motion" and the s3 screen is locked or off. 

the question is WHY is the "wake up in lock screen" option only available when "screen lock" is set to "swipe" or "motion"?!?! 

"swipe" and "motion" do not provide security because anyone can get in; whereas, "pattern" and "pin" do provide security because it requires knowledge that only the owner of the s3 has. 

i think that there are a lot of people who want their s3 to be secure (hence, they want to set their "screen lock" to be set to "pattern" or "pin") AND they want to be able to make handsfree calls from their bluetooth headset when their s3 screen is locked or off (hence, they want to be able to enable the "wake up in lock screen" option), especially while driving - considering texting while driving is illegal in many states.  this SHOULD be a simple fix.

anyone, bueller?

Wizard

I am so sorry that I have not responded to you until today.  It appears as though your response got lost in my inbox.  I did however perform some research on your issue and unfortunately, this does appear to be a functionality of the device that cannot be changed.  The excellent news is that unless someone is able to get a hold of both your Bluetooth and your phone at the same time, you do not need to be concerned about a security issue with your device.  Thes swipe and motion unlock is meant for our customers who don't want to accidently "pocket dial" with their device.  For instance, if you're not concerned about the security of your device, however you want to ensure that you aren't performing functions on your device while it's in your pocket or in your purse, the swipe/motion option is a great option for you.  If you don't want anyone at all in your phone without your permission, this is what the pattern/pin unlock option is designed for. 

Sincerely,

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support

Community Hours: 9am-2pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

hello again fergie_b

with regards to your comment "the excellent news is that unless someone is able to get a hold of both your bluetooth and phone at the same time you do not need to be concerned about a security issue with your device" you must not be aware of the samsung galaxy s3 "phone lock" options of "motion" or "swipe".  THESE OPTIONS PROVIDE NO SECURITY; hence, a complete stranger does not need anything (including my bluetooth) to unlock my phone, steal my passwords, steal my pictures, steal my documents, steal my saved emails on yahoo or gmail, etc.  so, in other words...i can either choose to a) press a bunch of buttons while driving and hope i don't CRASH or b) hope someone doesn't steal my phone and everything on it (including passwords to everything i own) because there is NO SECURITY.  neither option is acceptable!!

with regards to your comment "unfortunately, this does appear to be a functionality of the device that cannot be changed" i am aware that it cannot be changed because i have tried everything.  WHAT I WANT IS FOR SPRINT TO PROVIDE THIS FUNCTIONALITY WITHIN A FUTURE UPDATE OF THE SGS3.  how does this happen?

thanks!

scott

GrandMaster

how is this on sprint shoulders? point your fingers at samsung/google..the updates come from them..sprint just makes sure it works on their phones and then passes it along to the customer.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************

i did; however, you should know how that goes.  if you don't get enough people to join in and encourage change then it never happens.  i'm sure sprint has the capability to (with greater sway) encourage this to happen - if not come up with their own solution.  in my opinion, for the reason i mentioned above, this is a pretty important feature (either crash or risk a stranger stealing your pictures / documents / passwords). 

GrandMaster

look at it like this..im still running the original evo..when i first got it you could flip the phone into landscape and everything would flip with it..apps and what not..once froyo came into play that was lost and never seen again even after we got GB..the big wigs see all these great big changes to improve things but forget about all the small things that people really like with the phone..by big wigs im talking google..not sprint lol

i also miss my dang screenshot abilities..lost that with froyo as well...and never got it back

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************

you're probably right... it's probably a waste of time.  they don't want us to root our phones - they're making it increasingly more of a pain (counting flashes, etc.) - but they don't want to give us what we want.  i'm guessing my next phone will be a nexus...true android, not this locked down take it or leave it BS.

GrandMaster

the nexus line runs into the same issues...its pretty much down to what google leaves in or takes out when they do the updates...only time there will be extra things added or messed with is when you have to work in things like touchwiz for samsung and sence for HTC.

Wizard

I use a Motorola HX550 Bluetooth Headset and I use their My Motospeak app (app only works with certain headsets).

This used to allow you to voice dial/text and bypasses the lock screen until the JB update.

So, I'm now in the same boat, if I had ignored the JB update I would be fine, but now same issue, I have to have the phone unlocked before I can utilitze hands free.  That kind of defeats the purpose of hands free.  Even with S-Voice dialing I still had to choose the person to dial, which made it not really hands free.

In my opinion, with laws that require hands free to use the phone while driving, this is a major fail of an update.

***UPDATED 11/14/2012 @ 3:30pm EST***

Ok I found a way to get back around the lock-screen and got my voice dialing working agian.  First I had to disable S-Voice.

1) Settings -> Application Manager -> All

2) Choose S-voice and select Disable

After I disabled S-Voice, I was able to use my headset and choose My Motospeak as the default and I'm able to voice dial using a proper handsfree.

Message was edited by: halldl02

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat