cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to make handsfree calls when the screen is off / locked unless "screen lock" set to "swipe" or "motion" which are not secure

Highlighted

unable to make handsfree calls when the screen is off / locked unless "screen lock" set to "swipe" or "motion" which are not secure

i want to be able to use my bluetooth headset to make handsfree calls thru my s3 when the screen is off / locked when the "screen lock" is set to "pattern". 

if the s3 screen is unlocked and i press the bluetooth headset call button then the s voice opens.  this is good.

if i have the "screen lock" set to "swipe" or "motion" and i have the "wake up in lock screen" enabled and the s3 screen is locked and i press the bluetooth headset call button then the s voice opens.  this is good. 

unfortunately, the "wake up in lock screen" option is unavailable when the s3 "screen lock" is set to anything other than "swipe" or "motion".  swipe and motion are not secure. 

i have tried several apps to work around this, including "bluetooth launch", "cyberon voice" ($6), and "bluetooth app launcher" ($2) but all have fallen short.  how do we request sprint and/or samsung to fix this?  i really don't want to go thru the hassle of rooting my s3 - mainly because sprint and/or samsung make it so hard to perform software updates thereafter. 

i am pretty sure that samsung made this decision because i have seen people in verizon's forum complaining as well. 

i currently have jelly bean installed but this problem exisited when ice cream sandwich was installed. 

thanks

scott

40 REPLIES 40
Highlighted
Wizard

ferrell.scott wrote:

but when you use motospeak, is that still activating s-voice or is that a similar application to s-voice / google now / google voice /etc.?  the s-voice is starting to grow on me...

thanks

scott

Short version, it is compeletely separate from S-Voice. Motospeak is it's own system. 

Keep in mind, if you have the JB update you can NOT use Motospeak because they stupidly set it up where S-Voice takes over the bluetooth headset and doesn't give you any option to make Motospeak the default (as it did in the past).  The only way to accomplish this is doing what I mentioned in the previous post and disable S-Voice completely.

Highlighted
Wizard

clh42 wrote:

I TOTALLY agree that this is a HUGE oversight on Samsung's part.  I do believe it's a Samsung thing, not a Sprint thing.  (Or I suppose it it could be an Android Jelly Bean thing.)  Same thing here.  I was floored to discover this.  My 4 year old Windows Mobile phone didn't have trouble with Bluetooth voice dialing with an enhanced unlock.  I got hold of a Samsung tech via chat on their web site and they confirmed this is how it works by design.

But I do wonder if Sprint has any weight to provide feedback to Samsung to request this functionality.

So yes, bluetooth voice dialing works fine if the lock screen is set to only swipe or motion unlock.  But if I have a pattern or PIN unlock, then when I press the bluetooth voice button, the phone wakes up but sits at the pattern or pin unlock screen and I have to touch the phone to unlock it via the pattern or pin, then once I manually unlock it then S Voice comes up and will respond to the voice dialing over bluetooth.  But having to touch the phone to unlock it for a pattern or pin lock essentially defeats the purpose of bluetooth dialing.

EXACTLY!!!!  I haven't tested it without having a pattern lock, so I didn't know it would at least bypass the screen lock.  Also, I'm curious, how do you do the voice dialing with S-Voice?  Everytime I tried it after the update (using my bluetooth headset), it would bring up the name of the person I wanted to dial, but wouldn't dial unless I touched that name.  It acted more like a contact search and not a voice dial.  I would have it expected to say "Dialing (contact name)" and be done with it but not the case for me. 

The Motospeak does everything I want as far as dialing and dealing with text messages, and the ONLY button I have to touch is the one on my headset.

Highlighted

gotcha.  yeah, i just tried to use motospeak and it wouldn't recognize my motorola h790 bluetooth headset.  it doesn't appear that there are many bluetooth headsets supported by motospeak.  but, as you said, since i have the jelly bean update it wouldn't work anyways. 

i'm pretty happy with the work-around that i have in place at the moment with pattern lock pro and s-voice.  s-voice has definitely improved since it's inception. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

halldl02 wrote:

Also, I'm curious, how do you do the voice dialing with S-Voice?  Everytime I tried it after the update (using my bluetooth headset), it would bring up the name of the person I wanted to dial, but wouldn't dial unless I touched that name.

That's because, after using it even more, S-Voice also just plain sucks (there are TONS of complaints out there about it).  I seem to also have the 3G data connection issues that many others have reported with the Sprint Galaxy S III and since S-Voice requires a data connection, half the time all I get is "Network Error.  Please try again."  The other half of the time it won't fully understand what I'm saying and thus just displays what it THINKS I said rather than actually acting on it.  IF S-Voice just luckily happens to fully recognize a my voice dial command and the contact it thinks I want to dial, then it WILL directly dial that contact.  BUT it does not ask for confirmation that the contact is correct, it just says "Dialing <contact name and number type>" and dials it.  So sometimes it misinterprets and dials the wrong contact and I have to hang up right away and try again.

What you're seeing where it displays the contact on the screen and then you have to touch it (which I also see most of the time, but not always) is because S-Voice wasn't able to accurately translate your speech into what it was confident enough was an actual contact, so by displaying it to you, without actually verbalizing it in it's voice, it's bascially saying to you "I didn't really understand what name I think you said, but this the name I THINK you said, but you should be sure before actually making the call."  Or I have many contacts with the same first names but different last names, or same last names but different first names, and S-Voice can't figure out the difference (even though the different first or last names sound nothing alike) and it will verbalize "There are multiple contacts that match <contact name>.  Did you mean one of these?" and then it displays all my contacts with that same first or last name.

I'm actually glad you posted your comment on how to disable S-Voice to be able to use a different voice control agent.  I'm going to give that a try and just try using Google's voice control.  I had searched about how to disable S-Voice but all the posts I found said you had to have a rooted phone but they were trying to actually "remove" or "uninstall" it.  I don't care about physically removing it, I just don't want it to be my default anymore.  So I'll give your idea of disabiling through the Application Manager a try.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm having the same problem with my G S III.  Just got a Plantronics M55 bluetooth.  It does everything like listen to internet radio and answers calls through the lock screen (set to pattern), but will not make a call.  I did discover that if I tap the call button on the bluetooth twice, it will redial the last number called through the lock screen.  So there is some connectivity.  Interestingly, we have a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee with bluetooth through the radio for the cell phone.  The G S III DOES work with the car, regardless of network data capability.  I can answer AND voice dial a call through the lock screen after I push a button on the dash to wake the phone up.  No problems at all.  So why can't they get it to work with a bluetooth headset?

Sounds like it's time for a class action suit of some kind as this is a HUGE safety concern, and it is legally mandated in many States to be able to use the phone hands free, which in it's current state, the G S III is not capable of doing routinely across all platforms like any other phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

To MnMZ, although I feel your pain regarding the headset, the comparison of the headset to your car is apples and oranges.  With the headset, the headset is purely an audio gateway to the phone.  The phone still does all the work.  With the car, the car does all of the work.  You probably had to upload your address book (phone number list) from your phone to your car?  When you push the button on the dash in the car, the car has its own voice recognition, that then matches with the address book stored in the car itself, and then all the car does is dial the number through the phone and pass the audio through.  It doesn't use any of the phone's own voice dialing or contact lookup functions.

This just today became a major issue for me.  I'm trying to use some software provided by my company, but it forces me to have some sort of unlock protection (pattern, PIN, or password), which of course kills the bluetooth voice dial of my bluetooth headset.  So now I have to choose between having convenient access to some work data on my phone and thus having that bluetooth headset be worthless now, or keep using my bluetooth but won't be able to use my stuff from work.

Samsung really needs to fix this.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had the same problem as everyone is describing until I started to say Phone Commands when trying to place a call.  That switched me over to the phone commands and all I had to say from there is Call Tom Smith.  Works for me.

Journeyman

OK, so I've been doing a little reading and I came across a site that says that the Galaxy S III requires bluetooth devices to be utilizing Bluetooth 4.0.  This is the first time I have heard that.  It took me a while longer to find that the new bluetooth earpiece I just bought (Plantronics M55) runs on Bluetooth 3.0, so does not appear to be completely compatible.  Is anyone running a 4.0 device, and are you having still having problems?  Is the answer that simple?

Highlighted
Journeyman

@DOCB19731, what do you mean by saying Phone Commands?  Can you be more specific?  I can't get it to let me to anything with a lock pattern, pin, or password.  I see the phone wake up when I press the bluetooth headset button, but it just sits at the lock screen and won't take any command at all that I can tell.

@MnMZ, I don't think the S III requires bluetooth 4.0.  It supports 4.0, but doesn't neccessarily require 4.0 devices.  If you've got something that that you can point to that specifically says that it "requires" 4.0 devices, can you provide a link to it?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sorry, my bad.  You are correct.  It says it supports Bluetooth 4.0.  I just got off the phone with a rep from Samsung, and he said that when looking over the phone spec's, it didn't even address which version Bluetooth the S III has. 

After a long conversation, he said that he checked with the next level of support and they advised that when the phone is in pattern lock, the voice activation is disabled for security reasons.  So if someone were to get ahold of your phone, and say "unlock" (or guess what your vioce commad is to unlock the phone) they would be unable to gain access to everything on the phone.  So for that reason, the earpiece can't wake the phone when the lock is engaged.  The only recourse at this time it to have the phone unlocked at all times so the earpiece can connect.  I belive that they over-thought things.  This is primarily a phone, and needs to act like that first.  Everything else is just cake.  I told him that issue was unacceptable.  He even said that ALL bluetooth earpieces will suffer from this issue, even the ones with the Samsung branding.  He told me to go to the Samsung web site and voice my opinion on this matter.  I could care less about the voice commands, but the phone should be able to recognize the call button activation from the bluetooth earpiece to unlock the phone, even through the lock screen.  I will say as much on the Samsung site too.  Here is the link to "Voice of the Customer" to submit your own issues.

https://contactus.samsung.com/customer/contactus/formmail/mail/MailQuestionProduct.jsp?SITE_ID=1&tit...

Highlighted
Wizard

DOCB19731 wrote:

I had the same problem as everyone is describing until I started to say Phone Commands when trying to place a call.  That switched me over to the phone commands and all I had to say from there is Call Tom Smith.  Works for me.

I'd like to know more of what you are talking about here too.  The only way I could have S-Voice work was on a limited basis.  Meaning, I would have to disable the screen lock (no PIN or pattern lock), then I could use S-Voice, but still encountered the issue of not auto-dialing, just displaying the name of who I want to dial.

The only fully useable solution I have found that works is the one I posted much earlier in this thread.  But this won't work for most people unless you have a Motorola headset that is compatible with their Motospeak app.

Now without that application installed, it has always been a standard to answer the call through the lock screen without issue, and the same for doing a redial.  But as we the frustrated community have stated, that doesn't give us what we need.  And if Samsung/Sprint or whomever is making that choice for us, they are wrong.  I agree that they can place that as a feature on the phone for security sake, but I don't agree that we don't have the ability to turn it off so that we can have the functionality we want.  Kind of like, you have locks on your door, but I choose to lock it or not.

Highlighted
Journeyman

MnMZ wrote:

<snip>...So if someone were to get ahold of your phone, and say "unlock" (or guess what your vioce commad is to unlock the phone) they would be unable to gain access to everything on the phone. <snip>...  I belive that they over-thought things. <snip>  Here is the link to "Voice of the Customer" to submit your own issues.

https://contactus.samsung.com/customer/contactus/formmail/mail/MailQuestionProduct.jsp?SITE_ID=1&tit...

Thanks much for the info from the Samsung techs.  I agree, they overthought it.  I agree that someone shouldn't be able to totally unlock the phone, but it should at least still allow making phone calls (and it returns to the lock screen when hanging up the call).  Or at least make it user configurable.  But even if they want to lock it out from voice unlock normally, it should still be smart enough to know it's on bluetooth and allow purely phone calls by voice dial.  Think about it.  Somebody would have to get BOTH your phone AND your bluetooth headset.  That's possible, but much less likely.  The devices are already paired.  You'd have to unlock the phone to pair a different bluetooth headset, so don't allow a full unlock as they say.  But there's a trust there between the phone and a headset that's already paired that should be allowed to still make voice dial calls over bluetooth.

I will definitely go to the web site you link to to voice my displeasure.

To be honest, I'm now deeply regretting I didn't return this phone while still in my return period when I first got it.  I highly debated returning it but ended up keeping. But I keep running into small glitches like this on this phone that just keep driving me crazy.  It's like they put so much effort into making a fancy device, they forgot about just making the thing a halfway decent phone!

halldl02 wrote:

DOCB19731 wrote:

I'd like to know more of what you are talking about here too.  The only way I could have S-Voice work was on a limited basis.  Meaning, I would have to disable the screen lock (no PIN or pattern lock), then I could use S-Voice, but still encountered the issue of not auto-dialing, just displaying the name of who I want to dial. <snip>

halldl02, see this previous post of mine in this thread where I answered your question about S-Voice displaying the name of who you want to dial.  Basically, that has nothing to do with bluetooth.  It's just because S-Voice just plain sucks.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/520048#520048

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat