cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to make handsfree calls when the screen is off / locked unless "screen lock" set to "swipe" or "motion" which are not secure

Highlighted

unable to make handsfree calls when the screen is off / locked unless "screen lock" set to "swipe" or "motion" which are not secure

i want to be able to use my bluetooth headset to make handsfree calls thru my s3 when the screen is off / locked when the "screen lock" is set to "pattern". 

if the s3 screen is unlocked and i press the bluetooth headset call button then the s voice opens.  this is good.

if i have the "screen lock" set to "swipe" or "motion" and i have the "wake up in lock screen" enabled and the s3 screen is locked and i press the bluetooth headset call button then the s voice opens.  this is good. 

unfortunately, the "wake up in lock screen" option is unavailable when the s3 "screen lock" is set to anything other than "swipe" or "motion".  swipe and motion are not secure. 

i have tried several apps to work around this, including "bluetooth launch", "cyberon voice" ($6), and "bluetooth app launcher" ($2) but all have fallen short.  how do we request sprint and/or samsung to fix this?  i really don't want to go thru the hassle of rooting my s3 - mainly because sprint and/or samsung make it so hard to perform software updates thereafter. 

i am pretty sure that samsung made this decision because i have seen people in verizon's forum complaining as well. 

i currently have jelly bean installed but this problem exisited when ice cream sandwich was installed. 

thanks

scott

40 REPLIES 40
Highlighted
Wizard

fireguy_6364 wrote:

look at it like this..im still running the original evo..when i first got it you could flip the phone into landscape and everything would flip with it..apps and what not..once froyo came into play that was lost and never seen again even after we got GB..the big wigs see all these great big changes to improve things but forget about all the small things that people really like with the phone..by big wigs im talking google..not sprint lol

i also miss my dang screenshot abilities..lost that with froyo as well...and never got it back

The S3 still has screenshot capabilities, either using the palm swipe or pressing and holding the Power and Home keys for a few seconds.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

yah i noticed that with my moms SIII...one thing i just thought of was does it work for you guys if you put the phone in car mode? or whatever its called..it should keep the screen from locking fully while in this mode and keep the hands free active.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

i'm not sure what car mode is.  but, even if putting it in car mode prevented the screen from locking...you would need to put it in car mode every time you enter the car and take it out of car mode every time you leave the car. 

also, you could set your phone not to lock when its connected to power...so you would connect to your car charger and unlock it. 

these are both acceptable work-arounds...but they still involve preparation, which is something that 'us humans' are not always capable of doing...and it only takes 1 crash before it's all over.  i would like to think that i will not attempt to call anyone while driving until a fix is implemented; however, i'm certain there will be exceptions.  so, i'm leaving my phone on 'swipe' security and hoping that no 1 is stealing my passwords or installing spyware on my phone when i'm not looking.  drive safe, everyone! 

hey, i was thinking...if we turn our settings security to 'none' and install a 3rd party screen lock then we might be able to have our cake and eat it too (security and hands free calls). 

i went searching the app store and there are several screen lock apps available; however, i haven't found 1 i liked yet (i don't want a 'welcome screen' after i unlock the phone) and i don't have my bluetooth headset handy to give it a try.  i'll try it later.

scott

Highlighted
GrandMaster

i know on the original evo it was called car panel..not sure what it would be called on the SIII though. but there should be something like that on the phone already installed...its worth a try *shrug*

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Wizard

Let me check on this for you.

Morris L

Social Media Care.

Highlighted
Wizard

After review, I've found in order to make hands free calls from the lock screen, you can do so by holding the answer key on the standard hands free headset that comes with your GSIII. This will give you the ability to say who you will like to call, and have the GSIII dial it for you. If you are using a blue tooth headset, you can hold the answer key for 2-3 seconds to see if it also engages this feature.

Let me know if this helps?

Morris L.

Social Media Care

Highlighted

hello morris l

thank you for taking the time to try this on the hands free wired headset / headphones that come with the sgs3.  i haven't taken the time to test that out, but it is good to know; hence, i have rated your post as helpful. 

i have tried to hold the call button on my motorola bluetooth / wireless headset when it is paired with my sgs3 and it performs a 'repeat call' (calls the last person that i had a phone converstion with); hence it does not perform similarly to the wired headset / headphones that come with the sgs3 (according to your previous post).  i would consider using the wired headset /  headphones that come with the sgs3 instead of my motorola bluetooth / wireless headset; however, i prefer to use my hands free device in such a manner than i can 1) leave the hands free device in my car (perhaps 1 day my car will include a bluetooth hands free device, even) 2) i do not have to physically connect / disconnect the hands free device to my phone (via cables, etc.). 

Highlighted

yeah, i don't see it anywhere in the settings of the sgs3.  i've looked several times

Highlighted

but when you use motospeak, is that still activating s-voice or is that a similar application to s-voice / google now / google voice /etc.?  the s-voice is starting to grow on me...

thanks

scott

Highlighted

as a follow up to my previous post, i have spent several hours searching for 3rd party lock screen applications and testing dozens of them out (many of which cost $).  many different kinds are available (some lock your screen, some lock your applications, some are simply the 1st interface that you see when turning on your screen, etc.).  what i wanted was 1) a replacement to the android pattern or code lock that will take you to the home screen when you unlock it and 2) allow you to make outgoing calls from a bluetooth headset without having to touch / unlock the sgs3 1st. 

i only found 1 application that can do this...called "pattern lock pro" (which is $3.50!  a little expensive no?).  the only problem with this application is...if your sgs3 is locked and you receive an incoming call then you have to unlock your sgs3 and then you can answer your call.  however, if your sgs3 is locked and you receive an incoming call AND you have your bluetooth headset paired with your sgs3 then you can answer from your bluetooth headset without having to tuch / unlock the sgs3.

if you decide to install / use "pattern lock pro" please provide feedback to the application creater...asking him / her to 1) allow answering of incoming calls without unlocking the phone 1st and 2) allow ending the call without unlocking the phone 1st. 

again, both of these suggestions for improvement apply to answering / ending calls without the bluetooth headset.

obviously, the best solution is (still) for android to allow hands free calls using the bluetooth headset without having to unlock the sgs3 1st. 

Highlighted
GrandMaster

it should be an actual app that was pre installed on the phone itself..odds are since its a sammy phone its called something else though..on the OEVO as soon as your in your vehicle and plug it in you can either have it set up to automatically switch to this mode or manuallly do it.. i would try to search it out for you but i dont have a SIII accessable. now im currious as to what sammy calls it. i have yet to see any smart phones that didnt have it..well up until now lol

Highlighted
Journeyman

I TOTALLY agree that this is a HUGE oversight on Samsung's part.  I do believe it's a Samsung thing, not a Sprint thing.  (Or I suppose it it could be an Android Jelly Bean thing.)  Same thing here.  I was floored to discover this.  My 4 year old Windows Mobile phone didn't have trouble with Bluetooth voice dialing with an enhanced unlock.  I got hold of a Samsung tech via chat on their web site and they confirmed this is how it works by design.

But I do wonder if Sprint has any weight to provide feedback to Samsung to request this functionality.

So yes, bluetooth voice dialing works fine if the lock screen is set to only swipe or motion unlock.  But if I have a pattern or PIN unlock, then when I press the bluetooth voice button, the phone wakes up but sits at the pattern or pin unlock screen and I have to touch the phone to unlock it via the pattern or pin, then once I manually unlock it then S Voice comes up and will respond to the voice dialing over bluetooth.  But having to touch the phone to unlock it for a pattern or pin lock essentially defeats the purpose of bluetooth dialing.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat