Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4.4.2 Update affecting video player

Journeyman

4.4.2 Update affecting video player

About one week ago my Galaxy S4 was updated with the new 4.4.2 software.  Initially I had problems with my email syncing.  After visiting the Sprint community message board I was able to quickly resolve.  However, I now notice that my video player doesn't seem to work right.  I can view videos directly from youtube, but from facebook it won't play.  I get an error that reads 'sory this video unable to play'.  I thought perhaps it was the website or link, but my wife S3 is able to play the videos.

Anyone else have this problem and if so, how did you fix?

14 REPLIES 14
Master

hawaii5bro
We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the Facebook app. Also, see if an update is available for the app. Let us know if this helps!
-Patrick
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

SprintCare,

No. It didn't work.  Also want to mention that video player doesn't work from websites.  For instance, surfline.com beach cam live video feeds.

Should I be using a different browser with 4.4.2?  Should I try to factory reset th phone?
Thanks,

hawaii5bro

Master

hawaii5bro,

What browser are you using? Have you tried using different browsers like Firefox or Chrome? Give that a try and let us know if you are having the same problem. I am sorry about the inconvenience.

Thank you,

Barry

Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

I am using Chrome.  I did a factory reset.  It did not help.  I am also noticing battery drainage issues.  From 100% to 90% in under an hour.  My device was perfect before the upgrade.  Any other sugestions?

Message was edited by: hawaii5bro (100% to 80% changed to 100% to 90%)

Master

hawaii5bro,

I am not finding anything on the battery drain. Did you check all of the apps running in the background? Were you able to try using Firefox instead of Chrome for your browser? If so does it give you the same error message or does it work? Thanks for the response.

Thank you,

Barry

Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

update.

Friday March 14th I called Sprint to get help.  The friendly tech walked me through a few steps as well as pushed out PRL and Profile updates to my phone.  This cleared up a few glithces that I was having.  One was that the camera would say processing after every photo taken the other was video was not playing from FB or IG.  I was told to bring the phone into a Sprint service center store where they would run diagnostics on the phone and look at the battery draining problem. They could also look into why my video player couldn't play live video from surfline.com (which did before the update).

Well I get to the store when it opened.  I explain my problem to the Sprint associate and he takes the phone and gets a CNN news video to play.  He tells me the video works fine and that there is no need to hook it up for diagnostics and that the phone is fine. When I say that it played webcam videos from surfline.com before the update he explained that Samsung has chosen to not play video from that site and that nothing could be done.  When I asked about the battery drain he said to be sure to close my apps when done.  Really?  Thats the first thing any smartphone owner would check.  I left the store in under 10 minutes..

My phone is functioning, but not as good as it was before the 4.4.2 update.  Battery still draining faster than before. I ended up installing a 3rd party video player from the app store and it works ok.  Just another extra button to touch when I want to view from specifically surfline.com.

Master

have you tried to do a factory reset on the phone? Also go to Settings - More - Battery and see what is drainning your battery. Post back the percentages for what is showing in there.

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Master

hawaii5bro,

I found that some have been able to fix this issue by going to the setting> application manager>scroll to the Samsung watch on video>disable and uninstall updates. Let me know if this helps.

SarahG

Social care team
Journeyman

The 3 main things running:

Android system 17%

Android OS 12%

Music 10% (which is odd because I don't play music on this device, in fact I dont even have songs on here anymore).

Cell stand by 7%

I will try tyo factory reset again.

Master

hawaii5bro,

Did you try the disable and uninstall updates? Did it work?

SarahG

Social care
Master

Under the screen that you sow the percentage usage on the battery, click on the music, a new window will open displaying details on how long the app was running and for how long did it use the CPU.

In the same screen you can force stop the app so it wont continue to run. Also during the day, long press the home button, and go under running apps, see if you keep seeing Music app in there, if you do, force close it, and clear RAM from time to time under the RAM tab.

I hope this will help, and as far a other % you posted they look ok (depending what time of day you took them)

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat