7/30 - Samsung Galaxy S4 Software Update - NG2

Device name Software Update -  L720VPUFNG2

Enhancements/Fixes

• HD Voice Icon
  • Google security patches

Important Notes

- Software version is L720VPUFNG2

- This update will roll-out in a phased manner from 7/30 - 8/27

- Refer to the Samsung Galaxy S4 Software Update article in Support for install instructions

102 REPLIES 102
Journeyman

Re: 7/30 - Samsung Galaxy S4 Software Update - NG2

HD voice sounds great-oh wait I can't get a signal at home or WiFi calling for my original S4

Master

shamrock505, Thanks for reaching out. Sorry to hear that you're having service issue inside your home. Did you try to troubleshoot your device?​ - Kimberly
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Just received the L720VPUFNG2 update yesterday around 7:30am. I don't know where this HD Voice Icon is but my battery drains about half a percent per minute. Been trying to troubleshoot (wifi, bluetooth, GPS, and all Samsung features are off) but haven't found a reason. Reboots, battery pulls, nothing seems to stop it. Charging for an hour here at work only gave me 5% when usually I get about 1% charge per minute (so roughly 60% charge in an hour). Took the phone off the charge to show a coworker something and literally watched the battery percentage drop. Only thing that has changed in the past few days is that update.

I'll also second shamrock505 on the signal problem. I'm in a 4G LTE area and barely get 3G. Took the phone to a sprint store and they were basically telling me, "So... what do you want me to do about it?" After running a PRL update, it will show that it's connected to 4G LTE for about 20 seconds if I'm lucky. If I run a data speedtest within that time, I'm definitely getting 4G speeds but then I'm back on 3G and it, well, sucks. (Sorry for the off topic vent though I feel a very tiny bit better)

Journeyman

Trouble shoot my device? Lol-sprint needs to troubleshoot their towers and get the WiFi calling update to the original S4

Master

shamrock505 - We are currently upgrading our towers. Once it's done, you will see improvements in your services. Thank you for your patience. - Latonya
Sprint Social Care
Master

HD voice has been already enabled on the original S4, since Feb if I'm not mistaken.

The HD icon, would let you know if you are in an area that you can use that service. If that is true, I'm sure that if your phone will keep running an app to find out if HD voice is available or not, you would see some battery drainage.

Just to double check, I would suggest to see what exactly drains your battery, it might be some Google core apps via the new security update. I have not gotten the new update yet on my phone, so I can't really help you to much without playing with it.

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
GrandMaster

they can probably pull up battery usage and see what is eating it up in there..usual culprit is an app or at times the connections optimizer since it has to resync itself to new updates.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I got the OTA update notice this morning. I launched it. It rebooted. Then it came up with some error I couldn't read because the type is microscopic. It said something about an error E: something something something... then it gave me options to reboot or several other install from SD and other things. I didn't know what was the correct thing, so I told it to reboot, hoping it would try the OTA install again, but it just came back up as normal.

The patch didn't install. I called Sprint tech support. The guy was nice but he was an idiot. Strictly read from script. He thought it was just a PRL update, though I told him it wasn't. So he lead me through a PRL reset he sent but did NOT resolve the problem.

Now I don't know how to get the update manually. And yes I have gone into the menu many time and clicked check for updates.

I have been a faithful Sprint customer for MANY years... well that may be changing when my contract is up.

R

GrandMaster

lol because a update didnt push through with your phone as it should somehow this ended up being all sprints fault? wow.

take it into a repair store and they can force the update back onto the phone via their computer.

mainly a FYI but a smart phone is like any other computer out there..not all updates are going to go through nice and smooth.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Yes, it is like a computer and things fail. And over a week later (actually a little while ago) the push came again and was successful.

I do not have a problem with the initial failure, though a manual option in that event would be nice. What I have a problem with is the "tech support" who doesn't know they are even pushing the update thinking that I only want to update a PRL. He INSISTED that this was the problem and he gave me the solution. When I then at the end of a 30 minute back and forth with the young man, finally pointed to the information online that told of the SPRINT push, he finally conceded that he was wrong and failed to fix my issue... then asked for me to give him a good review LOL.

My statement about being long time customer, which may change, was also based on other things that I did not mention in my previous post.

Several weeks ago there was a 3 full page article about Sprint's problems in the Kansas City Star news paper. (Kansas City is Sprint HQ). You can find the full articles on the Kansas City Star website I believe.  It talked about Sprint being very behind in the technology and service, compared to its competitors. Even in its home city, connectivity is slow, spotty and inconsistent. Speed of data isn't even full 4G. They are trying to replace towers as fast as they can. Sprint was just purchased by a Japanese firm whose president just rescued a struggling mobile company over there. He hopes to do the same with Sprint... hence the proposed merger with Sprint and T-mobile (designed bring that customer base to Sprint). The article says that Sprint is positioned to make a strong comeback with advanced tech, but that won't be for several more years as it stands. In the mean time, they continue to limp a far 3rd place behind Verizon and AT&T, bleeding valued contract customers away who are fed up with the frustrations.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Sprint turns it around. Personally, I am tired of poor customer service and dropped calls in Sprint's home city (I live in the city but have to have a Sprint AirRave in my house just to get a decent signal). But it has been a very painful thing for customers to deal with... ask all the ones who have left.

GrandMaster

the purchase was a few years ago..which is how theyre getting the funding for this whole deployment..couple billion is going into the nation wide upgrades. and said bank is Soft Bank..i have an airave as well but due to being semi out in the country..larger cities see the major issues with this deployment compared to the smaller cities...more people=more towers=more problems and longer to get towers lit up to start getting improvements. figure this whole deployment has now been ongoing for roughly 2 years+-...so to replace out 80k+- towers in even 3 years time as well as running all new lines to those towers is actually a decent amount of time..heck how many other carriers will be able to say they only have roughly 500 give or take towers that DONT have LTE on them in their entire network?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat