Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7/30 - Samsung Galaxy S4 Software Update - NG2

Highlighted
Master

Re: 7/30 - Samsung Galaxy S4 Software Update - NG2

phowardd,

I would highly recommend taking this device to a Service and Repair location (www.sprint.com/storelocator) as they may be able to either the OS to eliminate the issues. I apologize again for the frustration that this has been causing.

*Andi R.

Sprint Social Care Team

Highlighted
Journeyman

You are not being fair. For somebody who works in technology, you ought to realize that no matter how much testing is done, with however many variables they can outline, once a piece of software hits the market real testing level goes up by a factor of 1000. There will be things missed. It is the reality of software development. No way to account to every combination of conditions out there.

You cannot know whether you're issues are done specific combination of apps. Even if they worked fine with prior OS version, it does not mean they will work fine with a new version. They may simply need to be reinitialized. Maybe whatever cache that app has written does not work well with new OS.

Another point is that you are making too general a conclusion out of very few self-selected cases. We stumble onto these boards because we are searching for a solution for a specific problem. For each one of us, there are thousands who have NO issues.

I agree with you on the need for Customer Support personnel to be better trained on debugging software usage. But this is not just a Sprint problem. It is every company problem, but it is harder said than solved. In general, I find them very adept at solving connectivity issues (things related to getting off the cell network), but not much when it comes with software. It is a relatively new area for these companies. Phones used to be very locked down. Now, it is a real computer, with all issues that IT support had to deal with (on top of the cell issues). Nobody in that field has caught up to that fact.

Highlighted
Journeyman

FYI, the previous reply was for tex.k

But I forgot to thank him for the info he provided. Very helpful.

Highlighted
Master

Charles2211,

Thank you for contributing to our Sprint Community page. We really appreciate your post. Please keep us updated on your service and inform us if you have any questions or concerns.

- JaSherai
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

So here's a hilarious story: In an attempt to fix my 4.4.2 battery problem, I factory reset my phone last night, after checking all my passwords and backing up everything.

As soon as the phone erases itself, it prompts you to sign in to your Google account. I sign in. Then, as a form of two-stage verification, Google wants me to type in a code that it sent to me in a text message one the phone that was basically locked, so I couldn't get my text messages. I felt the phone vibrate as the text arrived, but I couldn't get to the home screen and couldn't get to the notifications panel. Basically, this was like Google locking my keys in the car. Also, this is my only telephone. No land line. Way to go, Google.

As my "backup" phone, Google had my office phone number on file, so I had to wait till this morning. I came in early, and received the code via voicemail at my office.

I've rebuilt my phone, but I'm skeptical that it will help. It's the software update that's the problem. Cue a Sprint worker bee to pop in here and tell me to bring my phone to a store so they can blame the battery. It's not the battery. I have three batteries and they were all fine until 4.4.2. I'm not taking it in to a Sprint store just so I can have a teenager wipe my phone and fix nothing, again.

4.4.2 needs to be fixed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Here's something I just thought of; I wonder if the Android OS has been drinking battery since the 4.4.2 update because it's been trying to access/update lots of apps that the user has "turned off" or disabled? Sprint loves to shove lots of bloatware down our throats, and I, for one, have turned off lots of them and use Dog Catcher to forbid others from running at all. If 4.4.2 were trying to get in touch with some of those forbidden apps, that would cause the OS to run in circles a lot, I think.

Highlighted
Master

phowardd Sorry to hear about the recent issues that you had with your phone. If the problem persist, please feel free to reach out to us so that we can look itnto the issue a little further.
Mirleine Sprint Social Care Team
Highlighted
GrandMaster

as you pointed out at no time can they EVER test against every combination of apps and or settings out there to see if there is going to be any issues with a OS update...never gonna happen. they test on stock bare bones phones only.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Still have abnormal Android OS battery consumption. I try wiping the cache from recovery mode every few days, but that only helps for a few days. 4.4.2 is still a mess.

Highlighted

Try Greenify and also disable a bunch of system apps, turn off sync for bunch of stuff.  Disable Google plus and its notification, disable notifications for the stuff you don't use, disable locations.

My phone was draining like crazy after the 4.4.2 update earlier this year.  The battery was draining 5 to 10% even if I wasn't using it.  If I leave it unplugged at night, I would have a dead phone in the morning.  After doing the above, the phone now drains about 1% every hour on standby even with emails/text coming in during the day.  At night, it drains about 1% every 2 hours as I turn off even my corporate emails but leave the gmail syncing on.

Highlighted
Master

phowardd,

I understand your concern. Have you taken the device to a Sprint repair center to have a certified technician diagnose the device?

Laurel
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't think you understand my concern. If you had read the entire thread, I've explained before why there's no point in taking it to a service center. It's a software problem. Not the battery(ies), not my GPS, or Bluetooth, etc, which are all off. Don't waste my time.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat