7/30 - Samsung Galaxy S4 Software Update - NG2

Device name Software Update -  L720VPUFNG2

Enhancements/Fixes

• HD Voice Icon
  • Google security patches

Important Notes

- Software version is L720VPUFNG2

- This update will roll-out in a phased manner from 7/30 - 8/27

- Refer to the Samsung Galaxy S4 Software Update article in Support for install instructions

102 REPLIES 102
Highlighted
Journeyman

I took it to a certified Sprint service center.  they re-applied the update using a USB cable.  They said it's a more "stable" way to do the update. they also replaced my battery.

still having the massive battery drain issue.  if you check what programs are using the battery they are:

Android system

Android OS

Google services

based on this alone it should prove it's a "Software Update" issue.  Please report this to the software update dept and let them get to work on a fix.

just don't ever say again "Have you taken it to a certified service center?" 

we all know the issue. just be honest and say it must be Our Problem and I will do my best to report it to the correct dept and i will let you know when the problem is expected to be corrected.

is that too much to ask?

Highlighted
GrandMaster

yes it is to much to ask. more often than not issues that pop up after a OTA could be the update itself..a app that is no longer syncing with the new update..the OTA didnt load correctly. until this is ruled out for each person its a bit of a toss up if its actually being caused by the OTA or not...once that happens sprint and the manufacturer must work back and forth until they figure out the issue and fix the problem...obviously this isnt something that happens over night.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Master

LLARO00, Thanks for reaching out and bringing this to our attention. We're sorry to hear of the battery charging issues that you're having. In the meantime, refreshing your device will allow it to work at the best of it's ability. In order to try these steps, please follow this link: http://bit.ly/1lziLkT. We hope that this helps, please don't hesitate to reach out to us with any additional questions or concerns that you may have. - Brittany
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

LLAROOO,

I disagree with your conclusion.

If checking what programs are using the battery shows Android system, Android OS and Google services, it does not prove anything, and certainly not that it's a "Software Update" issue. All it proves that the app itself is not running and taking up resources, but not that there is an app that are constantly calling for these services (or any other battery intensive process.

It is not very likely that something as fundamental as what you propose is wrong with the software. The percentage of people reporting such issues is infinitesimal. They can't all be lucky. For my part, I had no problem, I have over 100 apps installed and I never turn off things or have to worry about notifications or anything. And my S4 usually lasts about 16 hours of normal usage.

My guess is that, most likely, your issue is some rogue app (or updating the app, or integrating with the new OS) is causing the problem. The app itself probably works just fine and never gave you any issue, but once the new OS was installed, the app support data/cache/install settings are no longer stable. The app probably works well both in the old and new OS versions, but nut when installed in one and used inn the other. The combination of other apps may also complicate the problem further.

It is but an easy thing to deal with unless you know exactly what app. Otherwise, you will have to reinstall all your apps from scratch *after* the OS update. Too painful, but might be necessary, and after a while, it may be better than wasting further time digging to find the problem. Maybe before doing that, try to go too every app and delete cache first.

Highlighted
Master

Charles2211

I am sorry you are having these issues. Just click on the following link to send us a private message http://bit.ly/1qQty1X and we will look into this for you.

- Darion
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

My battery life has not changed at all since this update, what did change was my stock samsung keyboard no longer auto capitalizes the single letter i and i can no longer force a lower case letter after the use of a period. Both so annoying i want to throw my phone regularly 😕

Highlighted
Master

farenann,
I can understand how frustrating it is to have changes that you were not expecting. The worst part is when the fix takes a while to come. I would recommend making sure that the auto capitalization is on. If you do not have on already this is how to do that. Go to the Apps> scroll to Settings> tap Language and Input. Tap the gear settings next to the Samsung keyboard to make more settings. Tap Advanced>tap Auto Capitalisation to enable if the option is off. Once you have done that it should automatically correct the small "i". As for the latter problem I am still researching on how to get that fixed as there is no fix that I can find. I understand where you are coming from and hopefully there is an update soon that corrects both problems. Thank you for bringing your concern to our attention and hopefully my steps help.
Rayon
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for looking into this..i did check the auto capitalize setting weeks ago and it was still on, and is still on today. Neither problem is present in any keyboard other than the Samsung keyboard if that helps narrow down the solutions.

Highlighted
Master

farenann Have you tried backing up your information and doing a Master Reset to the phone?

Mirleine
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Uh, as irritating as this is, i don't have any interest in the hours of work needed to get all my settings just right again after something like that..

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same on my GS4.  Battery heating up randomly throughout the day.  Battery won't make it to 3pm after previously being able to make it till 10pm.  Android System and Kernel all of a sudden the top two battery offenders in GSam, at ~20% each.  No way to figure out what is causing the drain within them.  Very frustrating.

Highlighted
Master

nick.svencer,

I get what you're saying and I agree that something isn't right. I'll be happy to work on this. To maximize battery life, change the settings for the back-light brightness and back-light timeout to the minimum setting acceptable, turn off network connections such as Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, or 4G when not using them, and limit the number of applications running at the same time and close applications not being used. The fastest way to get your issue resolved is to visit a repair store where one of our expert repair technicians have the tools and equipment to see exactly what you're experiencing. Service and Repair completes additional steps to diagnose and resolve the issues, so bring device. The issue you're experiencing could be due to a number of reasons, and attempting to diagnose it through chat could lead to incorrectly identifying the device issue. Sprint Repair center technicians decide if device meets the Service and Repair policy, the turnaround time, cost and solution.

Laurel
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat