cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7/30 - Samsung Galaxy S4 Software Update - NG2

Highlighted
GrandMaster

Re: 7/30 - Samsung Galaxy S4 Software Update - NG2

they shouldnt have to do any out of the norm adjustments if how they had it set up prior worked just fine.

@nick

its not unheard of for a update to take a bit of time to finally settle itself down within a phone. heck the last update i had on my phone took about a week to finally settle itself out of nowhere..which some have seen happen as well. one additional thing you guys might try is to remove the battery for about 10 minutes roughly..while its out hold the power button down to drain all saved power from the phone..then go ahead and put the battery back in and power it back up..run it for a few days to see if it acts differently or not. also go through ALL the settings and double check to see if anything was changed or switched up compared to before the update..this happens at times as well. connection optimizer etc.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Master

farenann

I understand. Please keep us posted if anything changes or if you have further questions or concerns. You are also more than welcome to bring your device in to a Sprint repair store ( http://bit.ly/1dDKYKx ) to see if perhaps a tech there may have other suggestions.

Desiree
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

FG, thanks.  I have have done cache resets, battery monitors, full battery pulls, etc with no fixes.  All settings are the same as before.  I agree, I shouldn't have to use my phone less (turn off things) cause software was updated.  That is not a solution.  I'll keep digging.  The stores are typically useless..."hard reset".  Which means 2 hrs of my time putting the phone back the way i want it (email settins, logins, home screen setup, wifi passwords that never seem to back up properly, etc).  And in the end, it doesn't fix it.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

im always a bit stand off ish when it comes to updates..you never know how they will come out one device to another. i have noticed though that more often than not when a issue pops up from a update that for some it takes longer for the update to finally adjust itself internally compared to others. not always the case. have you taken it into a store and had them push the update again through their computer instead of OTA? honestly the best way for them to do this is to wipe the phone..THEN do that forced update through their computer to insure everything goes as it should...yah i know..another FR lol..but it might be your only option

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

I just had this happen to my phone (Galaxy S4) for the first time while sitting at a meeting. My phone was at around 55% when I turned the sound off and when I left it wouldn't turn on. the phone seemed very warm and I discovered it had completely drained when I plugged into a charger. It's charging right now. I checked and it shows that Google Play Services and Lookout apps were largely responsible for draining the battery. I guess I'll have to see what happens once it's charged up but I check the software version and it's NG2 as you shared.

If I learn anything I'll let you know and please let me know if you either discover a solution or have any suggestions to avoid repeat occurrences from happening.

BxDennis

Highlighted
Master

Bxdennis, Thanks for the post! Let us know the out and if you need any further assistance. *Jazmine Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Okay. A bit of a breakthrough here. I have tried various combinations of "turning off" and "allowing" apps, trying to find out what's causing the battery-drinking trouble. The latest and most promising solution has sprung from a very aggressive shackling policy on my part towards Sprint's and Samsung's bloatware. I have disabled some apps using Android's "turn off" function, and others I have hamstrung using Watchdog, which lets you set a threshold of CPU consumption before force-quitting an app, even if it's something that the OS doesn't ordinarily let you "turn off". None of these are things I really ever used, or wanted, so I won't miss them. Your mileage may vary:

"Turned off" in settings:

Adapt Sound

Animated Photo

ANT Radio Service

ANT+ Plugins

Best face

Blurb Checkout

Briefing

Bubbles

DioDictService

DirectConnectManager

Flipboard

Google Play Books

Google Play Movies & TV

Google Play Newsstand

Google+

Group Play

Hangouts

HP Print Service Plugin

Lumen Toolbar

MobilePrintSvc_CUPS

MusicFX

PageBuddyNotiSvc

Phase beam

Photo Screensavers

Play Games

Polaris Office 5

Print Spooler

S Health

Samsung Apps

Samsung Apps Widget

Samsung Books

Samsung Calendar SyncAdapter

Samsung Games

Samsung Link

Samsung Music

Samsung Print Service Plugin

Sprint Worldwide

Story Album

Story Album Widget

Tags

TalkBack

Travel

Travel wallpaper

TripAdvisor

Try air move

WatchON

Yahoo! Finance

Yahoo! News

"Blacklisted" using Watchdog's auto-kill ability, and CPU percentage threshold:

Amazon Music 5%

Help 0% (never runs)

K-9 Mail 50%

Samsung Hub 0%

SamsungHub Updater 0%

Sprint Zone 0%

Video Player 5%

WeatherBug 5%

Since implementing this strategy, Android OS consumption generally hovers around 11-15%. Occasionally it will spike up to 30-40%, but I suspect that's down to apps trying to resolve my location. At those times, I either disable location reporting for a while to shut them up, or turn on GPS briefly, to give them what they want before turning GPS off again.

So far so good.

Highlighted
Master

phowardd

Thanks for posting your results. Let us know if you discover any other methods.

Patrick N.
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

@phowardd: Did your fixes have a lasting impact? I was late to update my S4 to NG2, but did it in late September finally. Been noticing abnormal battery drain since then.

Highlighted
Master

AuthorizedCustomer,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing battery drain after the update. Have you checked your settings to see which applications are causing the most use? Have you ensured that any apps installed on your phone have been updated to the newest versions?

Lorrie
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Like others here, it is the Android OS process that kills my battery per the Battery selection in the S4's settings. All my apps are on the latest versions.

Highlighted
Master

AuthorizedCustomer

I apologize for the issues you're having after upgrading your device. Please refer to this link: http://bit.ly/1pL8F7p for information on software issues.
Kendra
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat