cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7/30 - Samsung Galaxy S4 Software Update - NG2

Highlighted
GrandMaster

Re: 7/30 - Samsung Galaxy S4 Software Update - NG2

i keep mine on but i shut down notifying me of new wifi spots..so basically as long as im an area with wifi its up to my choosing if im going to connect to it or not..so when i do its now a remembered location. San Fransisco airport, Sacramento airport etc.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

I also have the battery problem after the update. When I go to bed, the battery is at 75%. In the morning, the phone is dead and inert. In the settings menu, under BATTERY, Android OS is drinking the battery at 67%. When I click on Android OS, I see that  STAY AWAKE has been active for almost five hours... even though my phone was on the nightstand with a blank screen. This is constant. Reboots don't fix it.

The update is a wreck. The last update crippled external SD card implementation, and now this. Updates are now nothing but bad news for the customer. Just before I initiated the update, I said to myself "I wonder if this update will make the phone worse, like the last one that mostly took away external SD storage under the guise of a security flaw?" Then I went and updated anyway. Sure enough, I regret it. Thanks Sprint.

Highlighted
Master

phowardd,

We apologize for the issues the update bought to your phone. You mentioned rebooting didn't fix the problem. Please let me know if you powercycle or did you master reset the phone. Keep us posted.

- SophiaSprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

I rebooted the phone, exactly as I described. I did not do a factory reset. I'll do that when I hear about someone else using a factory reset to successfully fix the problem. Until then, that would just be several hours of further annoyance with no resolution.

Tell me this. Do you personally know of any customer whose battery drain issues after the 7/30 update were resolved with a factory reset, or are you just ticking off boxes on your customer service script? Has a factory reset been known to fix this particular issue?

Highlighted
Master

phowardd- Have you checked into what is draining your battery, make sure nothing is on that doesn't need to be? Have you taken the device to the store to see if they can diagnose the battery?- Stephanie P
Highlighted
Journeyman

Nothing is on that doesn't need to be. Gestures are off. WiFi was on (because I was at home). Connections managers are off. Nothing is on but WiFi, as is my normal.

I swapped to a different battery (Anker) from my OEM battery. Problem persists. It's not the battery(ies). The problem is Android OS, like I said four comments ago. I click on that, and it says STAY AWAKE is on for five hours. I also said this a few comments back. Android OS usually uses maybe 16%. Now it's consistently at 67%.

All of this started as soon as I got the OTA update. nothing else changed. I feel not at all inclined to troubleshoot the battery, or my other apps, which have all been in place for a year without trouble. Every indication says that the update is the problem. I also haven't tried a different color headphone because it's immaterial. I don't have time to check every separate app on my phone when nothing has changed but the update. The update is flawed. It's obvious.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Strangely, the battery drain issue seems to have resolved itself. Maybe it will come back tonight/ I don't know. In reading other threads about this problem, I remember someone saying that, up to a few days after an update, the OS may continue updating other assets in the background, eventually coming to rest. That would explain what has happened here, if there were some way to confirm.

I'm glad I waited, instead of following the advice of the Sprint Customer Care associates and factory wiping my phone, just because they don't know what else to tell you.

A dramatization...

Customer: My car won't start. What should I do?

Sprint Mechanic: Did you try totally disassembling your car and rebuilding it? if that doesn't work, take it to the dealer.

Highlighted
Master

phowardd, I'm glad you did not have to do the extreme to get the issue fix. Some issues just require time to pass because it is not a device related issue. In the event it is a device related issue, and time has not resolved it, then device troubleshooting steps come in handy. Finding out if the battery issue is related to the network is pretty difficult to identify on your own. However, it is a common problem when service is difficult to stay connected to or your phone is constantly updating. Keep us posted on the battery issue so that we can make sure it is not a device issue. - Andrea
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
GrandMaster

Dj_Damjano would be the one that mentioned this.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

I too am having the battery issue since upgrade, luckily (I guess) that's all.  For the first several days, I was lucky if my phone lasted 3 or 4 hours on WiFi.  If I was on 3 or 4G, it was even worse, and like many others, I woke up almost daily to a dead or almost dead phone.  I tried battery pulls (at least 30 seconds to a minute), power saver on and off, smart WiFi on and off, etc. and not much helped.  Finally after doing some research it seems Sprint Samsung devices are not the only ones having issue, it seems to be more of a Samsung issue as I saw posters from several providers complaining of issues on the 4.2.2 upgrade. 

One thing I found yesterday that seemed to help was to try and clear my cache partition.  Now, almost 2 weeks later it does seem to be calming down after doing so, then pulling the battery for a minute or more.  I woke up this morning to a phone with a usable battery level.  The good thing about this is it does not wipe out the info on your phone like a hard reset does.  I am not sure why this is not tried more ofter for issues before a hard reset, as it seems to solve quite a few issues after looking around various message boards without wasting the time of a hard reset.  If you want to give it a try, below are the instructions I found on a few android message boards and confirmed to work on my S4.  Will try and follow up in a few days to update how the battery is still doing.

1. Turn off your smartphone
  2. Press and hold the "Volume Up", "Home" and "Power" buttons at the same time
  3. Once the phone vibrates release the "Power" button but continue to hold the "Volume Up" and "Home" keys pressed
  4. After the "Android System Recovery" screen appears, release the "Volume Up" and "Home" buttons
  5. Press the "Volume Down" button to highlight "Wipe cache partition"
  6. Press the "Power" button to select the highlighted option
  7. Highlight "reboot system now", then press "Power" to restart the smartphone

Now for a sidebar - I work in the technology sector as a Network Design Architect for a service provider.  If we pushed SW updates to equipment and the equipment worked worse after an we upgraded and then after not only us, but other companies complained of the same critical issues and they went unacknowledged or were constantly told to default our hardware and start from scratch, we would boot that vendor in a heartbeat.  We also expect our vendors to do something called QA/regression testing where they load the new code into a "lab" environment and beat the heck out of it for several weeks before we go production.  My phone is critical to me as I have to able to be contacted 24x7 and log into networks if needed to troubleshoot.  Having a device be 100% UN-reliable due to a botched SW upgrade with no roll back or acknowledgement from the vendor/hardware provider(s) is just a slap in the face to customers.  I would say ALL cell providers and Samsung as vendors (again based on the message boards I looked through, the fact both Samsung and the cell providers work on the SW together, and the fact Samsung is the manufacture the phone I am focusing on) all lack even a basic QA process that if in place would find issues such as this.  I am very disappointed that they all expect customers to spend large amounts of money on a device and then push SW updates with no change logs, no real way to not accept the upgrade or more importantly roll back if there are issues, no apparent QA process where this would have easily been seen, and the list goes on.  Sprint (and I am focusing on them as they are MY service provider), should do more to assist customer then telling them to hard reset phones.  Learn about the other options such as the one I found.  Actually make the customer feel like they care that a device the customer paid big money for (either via contract or whatever, we pay for them) is broken due to a mistake they made and FIX IT.  This is now the 2nd upgrade to a the S4 that has caused major headaches (the previous rendered the ability to use COMMON, frequently used apps such as office programs, etc. that many business users would frequently want to have access to unable to write to the SD card, forced security settings on the user, etc.).  I know to Cell providers, its all about how many contracts they have, but at some point, when will you get it through your head that to keep them, you have to start treating us like we matter?

Highlighted
Master

tex.k

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We appreciate our customer feedback and it will not go ignored. Thank you for being a valued customer.

Regards,

Pamela
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

I posted earlier that I thought maybe the battery problem had gone away. I was mistaken. Android OS is no longer using 65% of battery continuously, but more like 25% all the time. In general, the battery is much more reluctatt to accept a charge (all of the three batteries I have behave the same, so it's not all the batteries suddenly going bad.) It charges slower and drains slower. This update is still a pig.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat