cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After Lolipop update ALL data used up in a few hours

Highlighted
Journeyman

After Lolipop update ALL data used up in a few hours

My wife and I are seniors so this may help understand the following better.

Been with SPRINT for 16 months or so with 2 GS4s which has 1 Gig data each per month.

We usually only use (per phone) about 200 Mb of data per month until yesterday.

Last week my phone upgraded to Lollipop flawlessly with no changes to my data usage. Great!

Yesterday my wife's GS4 finally upgraded to Lollipop and within a few hours it starts beeping telling her that she has exceeded her monthly data limit.

I plan on taking the phone to a SPRINT store to find out what happened and to turn off whatever turned on by the Lollipop update.

I think it was with something to do with Google Services and found "Backup and Restore" turned on which never was there before.

Problem is I now my cycle started June 8th so  I will have to wait until July 8 before it goes back to 1 Gig.

I called SPRINT on the phone and they told me that if it was related to the update the data would be returned to me after awhile. I said great and hung up.  Then this morning I get an email that I exceeded my data limit on this phone and I must pay for any additional data usage until the start of my next cycle which is July 8th. 

Questions:

1. Has anyone had  this happen to them?

2. Can I get SPRINT to restore my data being the update turned on a high data usage and not me?

3. Do I have to go to a SPRINT store to get this corrected or can I do it on the phone.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: After Lolipop update ALL data used up in a few hours

It sounds like you were not connected to WiFi when you downloaded the Lollipop update. Due to the file's size you went over your monthly shared data plan allocation. I would call and ask for a supervisor because Sprint normally issues credits on the next billing cycle. Perhaps they can make an exception for you but they will probably ask why you did not use WiFi for the download. (the downloads always prompt "use WiFi" before you hit the accept button)

best of luck....

Highlighted
Journeyman

The upgrade involved downloading 1Gb of data to each phone, so if you weren't connected to WiFi then it could have used up your data limit. Hopefully they will reset your limit if this was the case and you don't have WiFi at home.

If you've always been connected to WiFi then it must be something else. Lollipop did reset lots of settings, as you mentioned, but I wouldn't think Backup and Restore would use data until you went into it and told it what you want to back up. But I don't use it, either, so that's just a guess.

Do be sure to check all of your apps to make sure they're not set to sync automatically, and don't have widgets running on your screen to show you the weather, etc. Anything running in the background can use data, as well as lower your battery life.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My update downloaded overnight without a warning about turning on WiFi, but I'm on an unlimited data plan. Plus, my WiFi is 6Mb and with LTE here in the country I get 20+ so I always leave WiFi turned off.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks.

I spoke to  SPRINT person on the phone and he said because the phone was not at home on my wifi network and my wife hit Update while at work all the Lollipop data came across OTA instead of on the home wifi.

My issue is that my wife's phone had weeks to update but didn't while home like mine did.

All I see is another way for them to make more money. Oh well what else is new.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes that is what happened. It never ask you if you want it now OTA or later at another location (Home on Wifi) Thanks

Highlighted
Journeyman

If there was no WiFi warning prompt then Sprint is liable for crediting that data usage back to your account.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Also, phones receive the update based on their ESN so even if both identical phones are on your account, chances are they will get the update on different days.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Couple things that I think should be pointed out,

1. Sprint in no way controls when a specific phone or account gets the OD2 Update.
  2. Ultimately the responsibility to use mobile data wisely falls on the customer and not the company.

That said...

Re-running the update process I can say that I witnessed no notification regarding WiFi, but that also does not automatically make Sprint liable for the data used.  Do I believe that a "one time courtesy" exception could be made in this case? Sure, but I do not believe that they are liable, should be required or even expected too. When you are on such a low level/amount data plan, it's up to you to make sure that you manage your data usage and connect to Wi-Fi whenever possible.  When this is not possible then IMO you should turn off mobile data except when you are using it.

Remember, being on a one gig plan is by choice of the customer and not the company.  This responsibility to use data wisely also extends to those of us, myself included, who are on unlimited plans.  Abuse of such plans leads to the demise of such plans and if anyone has been paying attention, Sprints new CEO has already hinted at it as a means of gaining control of their network congestion. In the end if you don't make the conscious choice and effort to control usage, then that usage will be controlled for you... as many other carriers have already done.

One more thing to add that should help greatly in working with Sprint for an exception in this case, the update automatically started downloading when I re-ran it.

So if you go to them (I recommend calling) and civilly point out the issue and the fact that there was no "Use WiFi" or "Postpone" prompts combined with the auto-downloading, they should be willing to work something out, especially considering that the accounts typical data usage come in around 200MB.  I have only ever had a couple of issues with customer service in my 10+ years, but I also do not go at them aggressively or worse yet, angrily. No, I approach them level headed and try and work out a logical resolution to an issue.  And for me, they have always responded well.

Good Luck

PS, here is a screenshot of the update notification

L720_GSG4_GOD2_Update.png

Highlighted
GrandMaster

you should be able to turn off auto update for stuff like this.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

I had mobile data turned off but seems it wasn't and this may be why it happened.

I called Sprint that they said they would give me a credit for anything over the 1Gig of data.

It was only a few bucks.

So we live and learn and maybe this may help others with plans with 1 Gig only.

Thanks everyone for your help and support.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

no i mean there should be something in your settings to not allow auto updates to push through without you actually clicking on it getting your ok first.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat