Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else have repeated problems with 'Unfortunately, Messaging has stopped working?"

Highlighted
Journeyman

Anyone else have repeated problems with 'Unfortunately, Messaging has stopped working?"

My S4 continues to crash the messaging app every time someone sends me a multi media message. If there's a picture, it will lock up my messaging. I can't open the text, I can't send texts, I can't receive additional texts. I end up doing a factory reset to clear it. I bought my first S4 on May 10 - kept having the issue so I traded it in for another S4, thinking the first one was just glitchy. Now the second one is doing the same thing. I've had this phone just over a month and have done at least four factory resets. And now it won't charge, but that's a separate issue. I just want the messaging fixed at this point. My previous phone was an Evo and I never had these issues with it. I've been a Sprint customer for almost 15 years but am getting ready to walk. No one seems to be able to help me figure this out and no one at Sprint says they've ever heard of this problem. My phone can't be the only one the planet doing this. Can anyone help here?

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted

Re: Anyone else have repeated problems with 'Unfortunately, Messaging has stopped working?"

Jdub618

Thanks for the feedback.

This issue is not something I am familiar with, but I want to assist where I can. Just to be clear, this is your second device, and you are still experiencing the same issue? How long into the first device did you trade it in, within the 14 days? Have you ever taken the device into the store for service and repair reasons?

After 15 years of a dedicated courtship, we don't want to lose you. Allow us the chance to make this right.

Zena

Social Media Team

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Anyone else have repeated problems with 'Unfortunately, Messaging has stopped working?"

Hi Zena. Thanks for replying. Yes, this is my second device and it is doing the same thing. I returned the first phone within the 14-day time period and exchanged it for another brand new Galaxy S4. The problem only seems to happen when I receive MMS. When that happens, I get the "Unfortunately, messaging has stopped working" error message and I can't open/send/receive any texts after that unless I do a factory reset on my phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi there,

I do work for Sprint as well and happen to be a Product Ambassador for this device.  I've heard from a couple of my fellow ambassadors that they have experienced the very same issue that you have described however it doesn't seem to affect every device as most of us including myself have yet to experience it.  For the ones that are affected, the workaround  for them seems to be to use a 3rd party sms app for the time being (there are lots of good 3rd party sms apps in the Google Play Store).  This is an issue that is supposed to be addressed in an upcoming software update.  Whenever the update is available I would recommend doing a factory reset at that time just so you can start over from scratch and hopefully you won't have to deal with that again.  Hopefully this helps.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Looks like the software update is here!  Should be available for your device over the next few days .

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/phones-and-devices/samsung/samsung_galax...

Highlighted
GrandMaster

jdub618 wrote:

Hi Zena. Thanks for replying. Yes, this is my second device and it is doing the same thing. I returned the first phone within the 14-day time period and exchanged it for another brand new Galaxy S4. The problem only seems to happen when I receive MMS. When that happens, I get the "Unfortunately, messaging has stopped working" error message and I can't open/send/receive any texts after that unless I do a factory reset on my phone.

by factory reset do you mean you whipe the entire phone back to factory settings and have to re download everything back to it or do you mean a power cycle or soft reset? makes a big difference on which one you do to get it working again short term

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

Fireguy_6364

A factory reset would restore the device back to factory settings. Therefore deleting everything on the device.

Do you pay monthly insurance for the device?  I would suggest going into a Sprint store for service and repair, before performing the hard reset on your own. In store they will go through all options before deleting everything on the device. They can also assist with backing-up information, such as contacts, before the reset (if needed).

Please keep us posted, and let us know the outcome.

Zena

Social Media Team

Highlighted
GrandMaster

i was asking the question to the OP not enquiring what a FR is...im well aware of what they are..which is why i asked which they did.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I will wait for the update and hope that it resolves the issue. I really don't want to download a third-party app to text. That just seems kind of ridiculous to me. This fancy phone should be capable of that.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Factory reset - wipe everything and start over. It gets really old. I don't have any strange downloads on my phone, either. And I don't have anything downloaded on my S4 that wasn't downloaded on my EVO. I never had any issues with the EVO.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Unfortunately, I canceled the insurance on my phone after I traded in the first one within two weeks and then got another one. I couldn't fathom having an issue with two brand new phones. I never had any problems with any of my previous phones, and when something finally did happen to my last EVO, it was a cracked screen, which insurance doesn't cover. So I didn't see the need to spend the additional money. So Sprint won't do anything for me, and now I need to ship my phone to Samsung to look into the other issue I'm having, which is my phone stopped charging. The battery is fine. The phone itself just won't charge. My husband has the same phone and doesn't have any problems with his, so we just keep charging/swapping batteries for the time being. This phone is definitely not worth all the hype. Should have gotten the HTC One instead.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

some of the apps you used on the EVO havent been fully updated to the newest android on the newly released phones..ditto with the One..im still getting issues here and there with the apps i used to use on the original evo that are now on the One..a few have been fixed via updates but not all of them. i dont think this is your issue though.

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat