cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect to Open Wifi requiring Authentication Android 4.3

Highlighted
Journeyman

Can't connect to Open Wifi requiring Authentication Android 4.3

Ever since my phone upgraded to Android 4.3 I can't connect to wifi at work. Its an open wifi connection but requires authentication via a web browser. Before upgrading I would get a prompt to sign in, and then it would open a web browser. Now it does not prompt and does not actually switch to wifi to allow me to manually browse to a random page to force authentication.

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Can't connect to Open Wifi requiring Authentication Android 4.3

Is it possible that the upgrade to 4.3 did not remember your work wifi as a saved network?  Go to wifi in settings (while your wifi toggle is on) and search for your work wifi network and connect (if it isn't already).

If it is currently connected to your work wifi, open your browser, go to any website like cnn.com, and see if the browser re-directs you to the authentication page.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wifi never actually connects so I can't go to a web page. it stays on 3G, it still doesn't work even when disabling mobile data.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Have you been able to connect to wifi anywhere else?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Can't connect to  Open Wifi requiring Authentication Android 4.3

yes wifi works everywhere else. I was finally able to connect to work wifi but it is quite the hassle.

1. disable mobile data so 3g does not connect
  2. forget the wifi network
  3. connect to the wifi network
  4. turn off wifi
  5. turn on wifi
  6. open a browser and load the sign on page and hope you click the autherize button before it disconnects telling you wifi requires sign-in.
  7. repeat until it authorizes, once it does the wifi works fine.
Highlighted
Master

Another suggestion will be to run the page on a desktop view, i believe it will make it easier for you to click the authorize button.

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Highlighted
Wizard

EvanL,

Thanks for the post. Im glad to hear everything is up and running now. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm having the same problem and I have NOT been able to get it to work. Is there a software patch coming? This is very frustrating.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Victor,

I hardly consider the workaround I posted as being up and running. I didn't have this issue with 4.2.2 and I shouldn't have this issue with 4.3.

With Android 4.2.2 the wifi always connected and stayed connected and brought up a web browser automaticly to allow me to authenticate. With Android 4.3 it connects and immidately disconnects saying sign-in is required.

Highlighted
Master

You should have 2 signs for the WiFi, one that says WiFi available, and one that says sign-in required, just click at the sign-in required one and that will redirect you to the webpage to enter your info. I have the same setup at my work too, and it works fine for me. Let me know what issues you have, I might be able to take you step by step.

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Highlighted
Wizard

EvanL,

Thanks for the post. Sorry to hear your having so much trouble with this new update. Have you gotten in touch with Google regarding the update issue? Sprint does not create these updates. They are usually pushed by the manufacturers.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Wizard

DJ,

Thanks for the post. Can you post the steps you have, Im sure it will not only help EvanL but anyone looking for assist on this.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat