Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GALAXY S4 ISSUES - I'm having serious issues after the most recent update - Android Version 4.3

Highlighted
Journeyman

GALAXY S4 ISSUES - I'm having serious issues after the most recent update - Android Version 4.3

Sprint, with all of your technology, why am I still having issues with my phone??? Is anyone having issues / problems like the ones I'm having below?! Since the 4.3 update, my phone is doing the following...

Camera is Acting Screwy: it doesn't focus correctly, sometimes it doesn't focus at all. There have been numerous times when after taking the picture, it was completely blurry because it took the picture about 2 seconds after I clicked on the button. Now I have to wait about 5-10 seconds after taking the picture to make sure it comes out. I NEVER had to do that before.

WiFi: The WiFi will say "limited internet connection" and go to another WiFi connection or to 3G (I still don't have 4G in my area even though I keep getting text messages and e-mails saying my voice / data is done being upgraded. I have yet to see a difference...I'll talk about that more in a minute). When I check on the connection on my laptop, HDTV, and / or Blu-Ray player, it says "very strong connection" and the link speed is 135mbps and up. It constantly picks different WiFi signals which affect the performance of my phone. I know about the Sprint Optimizer. That's not making any bit of difference. The phone just won't stay on a good WiFi connection...no matter what!

Dropped Calls and Signal Issues: This is horrible. I used to be able to talk anywhere in my house. Now I have to stay on the middle level and stay within certain rooms. I don't understand considering they are / were upgrading the towers in my area. My phone drops calls more now than ever before. It gets very frustrating. What happened to the tower(s) in my area...you informed me that the upgrades are close to being done...and one was even completed!

Battery: The battery drains so quickly since the update. It's ridiculous! What used to last me all day with moderate use, I now have to charge the battery 2-3 times a day. I left my phone uncharged one night (it was at 80%). When I woke up it was almost dead...I actually got a message on my phone saying to charge it because the battery level was below 15% (or somewhere around there). That's not good for this type of phone...or any phone for that matter.

I'm also having other issues but I think this is enough for now. Hopefully I can get some resolution with these problems first.

So when did all of this start??? Well, as soon as I updated to Android 4.3. My phone does not act like it used to. Even my Wife's phone is experiencing the same issues, but she doesn't care as much as I do. I went to a Sprint Store by my house. The Representative reset my phone and did some extra things to try and clear any issues or problems. Well, it didn't work.

I have been with Sprint for about 10 years. I never had problems like this before. I wish Sprint would send out an update to fix these issues. I also wish Sprint would tell me when I can look forward to 4G or 4G LTE in my area. That would be awesome. But first I would like to have my phone working like normal again...before the update.

So Sprint, any suggestions on what I can do to get my phone working properly again? Can you tell me when I can use 4G or 4G LTE in my area? I live in the zip code 21769. Can you tell me when you're sending out another update to fix problems like the ones I, and many other people, are having? Does anyone have any advice???

Thank you for responding...

38 REPLIES 38
Highlighted
Master

ejcapo71,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear your having to deal with this. So you are saying prior to the update your device was working fine? Did you take the device in to a Service and Repair? If your having issues with the Camera and WiFi, this wont have anything to do with the network. WiFi, as you know does not access cellular data. If you're saying you got other devices that use your wifi with no issue than there has to be a hardware issue. Same with the Camera. On the other side with the dropped calls, this can be due to network upgrades, or indoor coverage. How often do you power cycle the device? Have you deactivated the network optimizer on the device? Do you have TEP on your account? If so let a tech take a look at the device. They may be able to fix or replace it. As of right now we dont have an official word on a patch for the device? Have you been upgraded to 4.4 yet(kitkat)?

Victor

Sprint Social Care 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, ever since the update my phone has been acting bad. Before the update, I didn't have these issues.

As far as the camera & wifi, it hasn't gotten any better. I'm not sure why the camera, when taking a pic, says " processing ". When it does that I have to keep the camera still. It doesn't do it all the time, maybe 60%. But when it does, my pics will come out blurry or you will see the pic as a distorted image. Also, I've been noticing that sometimes the camera won't even focus. I have to wait sometimes for a full minute or 2 before the camera realizes I'm trying to take a pic. Needless to say it's been very frustrating.

The wifi has been driving me crazy as well. It gets stuck sometimes on " checking the quality of your Internet connection " or it gets stuck on " verifying IP address ". My Samsung 3D HDTV will say the internet connection is very strong, my satellite will say it's very strong plus it'll show the strength of the signal anywhere from 90-100...but my phone will say the connection is slow. I've been using the wifi as best as I can.

The calls being dropped, well that's been really pissing me off. I was told that the tower in my area was upgraded. I was told that my dropped calls should not be happening. I never had dropped calls before, so why all of the sudden now?! On the road I live off of, I drop calls an average of 7-12 times during a conversation. That is ridiculous & embarrassing. In my house, there are numerous occasions when I have no bars at all...it'll show a red X where the bars are supposed to be. I also drop calls in my house when before I never did.

I have turned the phone off to restart it but its been unsuccessful. I've even taken the battery out. Nothing seems to be working. If you think it's a hardware issue, I'll go to my local Sprint store to see if I can get a replacement. I'm just nervous it's gonna happen again because of the update to Android 4.3. I'm still waiting for the new update to Android 4.4.2. Do you think that'll resolve some of my problems or do you think I should see about getting a replacement?

Do you think you can put a comment under my account to get another S4 so I don't have to explain this entire incident to the Customer Service Rep? If so, that would be great...I would really appreciate that!!!

Thank you for your time...

Highlighted
Journeyman

4.4.2 wont resolve any of your issues, in fact it might cause new ones.. Ever since I updated my phone lags when pushing on button, doesn't recognize my screen swipe, apps function or fail, removed apps I had installed, and battery gets drained a lot quicker... I really don't like the new OS.... Nothing but problems

Highlighted
Master

ejcapo71,

An Airave can be looked into, however at this time I would not be able to guarantee if it will be free or not. In order to leave a note on your account I would need to have access to you account. Do you have insurance?

*Jessica

Sprint Social Care Team
Highlighted
Master

kskillian,

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are having. Have you visited a Sprint service and repair center to have your device checked out? Also, have you contacted Samsung directly in regards to the issues you are having with the update? Please let us know.

Charles G.

Sprint Social Care Team
Highlighted
Master

Hawkgirls,

I'm sorry to see that you have been experiencing issues with the latest software update for your device.  With the update being released in waves it helps both Android and Samsung combat any issues to create fixes.  We highly suggest refreshing your device from time to time to see if any improvements occur.  You mentioned you were upset with our 4G LTE network.  Was there something in particular that you are unsatisfied with?

Sprint Social Care Team

David

Highlighted
Journeyman

completely agree, nothing but problems with most touch screen features, on/off button response, lagging, VERY frustrating. Any responses from Sprint yet??

Highlighted
Journeyman

Soooooooo...does anyone test these updates before releasing them? The S4 worked perfectly before your attempt at an update. Ridiculous! My phone is almost useless right now, have to restart it in order to get it to function (touch screen response, etc.).

Highlighted
Master

Hello seekup3210,

Thanks for joining; sorry to hear you're also having issues with your S IV.

To my understanding, the latest update for the S IV is Android Version 4.4.2 (Kit Kat). Are you still running 4.3? Have you attempted any troubleshooting (battery removal, factory data reset)?

Regards,

Giovanni R.
Sprint Social Care Team
Highlighted
Journeyman

I am right there with you, kskillian.  I never had the issues I'm having with my GS4 until the update to 4.4.  My phone lags so much now.  Nearly two minutes to wake it up sometimes after pushing the start button, then, the screen is unresponsive for minutes at a time.  Apps were deleted from my phone during the update, many contacts lost information after the update, I'm having WiFi and Bluetooth connection issues, and the battery drains nearly twice as fast as it did before.  I've had my phone since July, and never really had an issue until this update. Samsung and Sprint should be ashamed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So far this update hasn't been that bad except now my phone says its connected to 3g/4g but the there is no data connection at random times. I have already updated the prl and profile with no success.

Highlighted
Master

Hey techie81,

Thanks for reaching out to us with your issue; we're sorry to hear of it and we'd like to help.

Are you also running the 4.3 software on your Galaxy S IV? The Kit Kat update (4.4.2) had started to be released in waves starting 2/13/14, have you received this update yet? Regarding your device issue, have you tried removing the battery?

We look forward to your response. Thanks!

Regards,

Giovanni R.
Sprint Social Care Team
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat