Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GALAXY S4 ISSUES - I'm having serious issues after the most recent update - Android Version 4.3

Highlighted
Journeyman

GALAXY S4 ISSUES - I'm having serious issues after the most recent update - Android Version 4.3

Sprint, with all of your technology, why am I still having issues with my phone??? Is anyone having issues / problems like the ones I'm having below?! Since the 4.3 update, my phone is doing the following...

Camera is Acting Screwy: it doesn't focus correctly, sometimes it doesn't focus at all. There have been numerous times when after taking the picture, it was completely blurry because it took the picture about 2 seconds after I clicked on the button. Now I have to wait about 5-10 seconds after taking the picture to make sure it comes out. I NEVER had to do that before.

WiFi: The WiFi will say "limited internet connection" and go to another WiFi connection or to 3G (I still don't have 4G in my area even though I keep getting text messages and e-mails saying my voice / data is done being upgraded. I have yet to see a difference...I'll talk about that more in a minute). When I check on the connection on my laptop, HDTV, and / or Blu-Ray player, it says "very strong connection" and the link speed is 135mbps and up. It constantly picks different WiFi signals which affect the performance of my phone. I know about the Sprint Optimizer. That's not making any bit of difference. The phone just won't stay on a good WiFi connection...no matter what!

Dropped Calls and Signal Issues: This is horrible. I used to be able to talk anywhere in my house. Now I have to stay on the middle level and stay within certain rooms. I don't understand considering they are / were upgrading the towers in my area. My phone drops calls more now than ever before. It gets very frustrating. What happened to the tower(s) in my area...you informed me that the upgrades are close to being done...and one was even completed!

Battery: The battery drains so quickly since the update. It's ridiculous! What used to last me all day with moderate use, I now have to charge the battery 2-3 times a day. I left my phone uncharged one night (it was at 80%). When I woke up it was almost dead...I actually got a message on my phone saying to charge it because the battery level was below 15% (or somewhere around there). That's not good for this type of phone...or any phone for that matter.

I'm also having other issues but I think this is enough for now. Hopefully I can get some resolution with these problems first.

So when did all of this start??? Well, as soon as I updated to Android 4.3. My phone does not act like it used to. Even my Wife's phone is experiencing the same issues, but she doesn't care as much as I do. I went to a Sprint Store by my house. The Representative reset my phone and did some extra things to try and clear any issues or problems. Well, it didn't work.

I have been with Sprint for about 10 years. I never had problems like this before. I wish Sprint would send out an update to fix these issues. I also wish Sprint would tell me when I can look forward to 4G or 4G LTE in my area. That would be awesome. But first I would like to have my phone working like normal again...before the update.

So Sprint, any suggestions on what I can do to get my phone working properly again? Can you tell me when I can use 4G or 4G LTE in my area? I live in the zip code 21769. Can you tell me when you're sending out another update to fix problems like the ones I, and many other people, are having? Does anyone have any advice???

Thank you for responding...

38 REPLIES 38
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi, this started with the 4.4.2 update.

Highlighted
Master

techie81

I see. Just to verify. Do you experience this issue in a certain location or do you find it happening everywhere you go? Have you noticed any other anomalies since the update?

Omar
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Master

Pafriedm,

Thank you for posting. I am sorry to hear of the issues you have had after doing the update on your device. Have you tried contacting Samsung support to see if they have a fix for these issues you have been experiencing? I do know Samsung offers a remote support option for their devices. Check here for the remote support: http://www.samsungsupport.com/remotesupport/tv_hhp_support.html   Please let us know what the outcome is.

Thank you,

Anthony

Social Care Team

Highlighted
Journeyman

Multiple locations. So far that is the only issue.

Highlighted
Master

techie81

I see. I would like you to try something. Please set your network settings to CDMA then update the PRL. Let me know if you notice any change in signal quality. Then switch it back to CDMA/LTE update the PRL and see if there is any change. I want to see if the device is having any issues with network connectivity.

Omar
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm getting very frustrated seeing the same responses from different representatives. I've been with Sprint for almost 10 years and NEVER had issues like this. I pay Sprint a lot of money every month. Don't you think I should be getting a nice discount since my phone hasn't been operating properly?! I mean, I pay you guys every month for services that aren't working correctly on my phone (or my Wife's phone for that matter). It's just a good suggestion!!! I mean, if I'm paying Sprint for services for my phone and my phone doesn't work properly for me to take advantage of the services, don't you think I'm able to get a discount? It's not like I'm just now reporting the issue...I've been reporting it for a few months now...on a regular basis. It would be nice for Sprint to do that for me.

First, I know my camera and WiFi don't have anything to do with the network. I know it doesn't. BUT...this doesn't mean that ever since Android update 4.3 my phone hasn't acted screwy...it has been! It was working fine before the update. When my now Wife and I went to Vegas to get married last month, I took pics with my phone. A lot of them didn't turn out because the camera said "processing" and if you move the camera during that time or even after it clears the screen, the image gets very blurry. I've been having this issue for a while now. It didn't do that before when I had Android 4.2. Also, it's still doing that now. Are there any reasons for this to be happening? If it didn't do that on Android 4.2, why has it been doing that since the update to 4.3 and higher?

There are times I still can't connect to a network!!! When I'm not on my WiFi, I sometimes can't connect to 3G or 4G. It doesn't even show on my display. The area on my phone only shows the battery level, my reception for calls, and the time...no network info. I have to walk around my house to try and find a signal. If I'm out, I have to wait & drive around in my car so my phone can find a network signal. This is ridiculous. This shouldn't still be happening. I've been told by some Sprint reps not to mess with the Network Optimizer. I've also been told by some Sprint reps to turn it off. Even when I have turned the Optimizer off, it didn't resolve any of the issues.

NOW, my phone has just updated to Android 4.4.2. I was hoping this would resolve some of my issues. Well, it hasn't...AT ALL!!! Actually, I'm having new issues.

MY NEW ISSUES...

*** My phone takes forever to "wake-up" after pressing the "on" button. It never did that before.

*** My phone now lags more than ever. When pressing on the screen to move it or pressing on an app to open it, my phone isn't as responsive as it used to be. It seems like the phone is thinking about what to do...like it never had me pressing on the screen before.

*** I also had to reinstall about 30% of my apps because they were deleted after the most recent update. They're back on my phone but things like this shouldn't be happening with new updates.

*** My battery level drops so quick now. I thought it was bad before with Android 4.3, but with 4.4.2, it worse.

*** I'm still dropping calls. At this day in age, dropped calls on cell phones should be a thing of the past. When in my house, I can hardly keep a call. It wasn't like that until Android 4.3. Yes, I update my PRL regularly, I power cycle my phone often because of the issues I'm having. None of these work to help my issues. I was told that you would consider an Airave 2.0 but you have to access my account. Can you call me so we can discuss that option? Oh, yes I have insurance.

So with my old issues and new issues, I'm about to throw my phone down the toilet...it seems like that's what it's worth.

Do people test these updates before releasing them?

I obviously need a new S4 because of all of the issues with my current one (I'm not happy with it at all). I just hope when I go to a Sprint Store they replace it for me. Is there a way to put that on my account so I don't have to explain everything all over again? I also hope that I don't have the same issues with the new S4.

Are other people experiencing these issues???

Can someone from Sprint call me so I can speak to them about my options?????

Thank you!!!

Highlighted
Master

ejcapo71,

Goodness, I am sure sorry to see that you are having these issues. Please don't flush your phone, that gets to be a mess. I will be sending the information that you provided to us about the issues with your software over to Samsung for future software updates. I do have an idea that could significantly help with these issues. Sometimes software may become corrupt when downloading to the device, especially over the air. You could visit one of our Service and Repair centers (www.sprint.com/storelocator) for them to reload the software to your device. They can also test the unit for other issues and if they are unable to repair the device, they may be able to replace it. The other option is to go directly through the manufacturer for assistance. I hope that we are able to get this right and allow you to be happy with our services and your device!

*Andi R.
Sprint Social Care Team
Highlighted
Journeyman

Visiting a store is a waste of time.  A deflection tactic.  See here: Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 4.4.2 update issue in the 60193 area. HELP!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

CDMA so far as been much more reliable than the LTE should I leave it on CDMA?

Highlighted
Master

techie81,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear that you're losing your data connection at times since the update. If you're finding that setting it to 3G/CDMA is getting you better consistency then by all means do so. Are you finding that the dropping is completely random or is a pattern starting to emerge revealing that it's happening in the same area?

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care Team

Michael C.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Yup been having these exact same issues. Got my bill reduced twice and its still happening since the update in Feb 2014. I can barely use my phone. Only thing that helps is restarting it sometimes up to 20 times a day just to get service for a measly 30 minutes. I was told by an in store rep that this is due to sprint not testing samsung softwear well enough before release which makes sense as they were the first to release (also seam to be tje first to screw their customers) the update messed up a few items you had mentioned and the most annoying being the wifi/tower locator. Without a cell phones ability to locate continuously it becomes more like intermittent cell phones. Only way they locate is by restarting them. I work on call at one job and have missed calls and been under review due to this phone issue. I now give all business people my husband's # as backup which has been called about 50% of my call ins due to this #/^&&// phone.

I called customer service multiple times (about 22+hours spent, sometimes having to argue with immature reps) with no reselve. On 3 occations I was told I'd be called back by managers. Lol. No call backs. I have been with sprint for 6 plus years and I'm done. The way I have been treated is not acceptable. In person reps will give you the full inside scoop then when you call customer service they deny their knowledge of any issues because I guess they're given a memo each day to keep lying to customers about this HUGELY WIDESPREAD GS 4 issue!!!! At the end of my wits after 6 months of this !/^&^/!. Planning on changing service. Even metro is better than sprint. LOL.

Good luck. My advice. Get out if you just started or are close to the end of your contract. Never knew how chappy sprint was until this happened and I started comparing companies. Sprint service IS the worst!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Really? Lol. Not being called back by 3 "managers" and being hung up on twice really doesn't make me trust your words of concern. Lol. Sprint is the most unprofessional company I've dealt with. Your customer service personelle are not given correct info or purposely lying to customers. This is not a samsung issue as I've been told time and time again "just sort it out with Samsung it's not our service". Wow! Blatant lies as i have already spoken with samsung who can do nothing but refurbish a brand new phone. Then onceput back onto sprints network they saidit willhave theexact same issues due to SPRINTS programming. Its a sprint issue due to their inability to test update compatability with their service. I'll be leaving asap after 3 years independent and 3 years under a family plan a total of 6 years of loyal time. Bye bye.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat