Did you mean: 

Galaxy S4 Release Announced: April 27

Highlighted
Journeyman

Galaxy S4 Release Announced: April 27

http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=2561

Available Apr 27, Pre-Orders start Apr 18

$249

Sprint, why are you charging $50 more than other carriers for the same phone??

39 REPLIES 39
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Galaxy S4 Release Announced: April 27

pemo26

Very Excited!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm certainly not pleased with the $250 pricing on the 16GB either, and can only imagine what kind of pricing Sprint has in mind for the 32GB or 64GB, which were not addressed in the press release - who knows if they'll even be available. Might have been a handy thing to discuss in a ... press release??!

I just sent an email to the contact listed in the press release asking why, as someone who "Pre-Registered" I received NO INFO as a result of my "Pre-Register" about the release. Going on 2.5 hours after the press release, I can also say with certainty I wasn't "first to know."

What kind of poorly planned and executed campaign or downright scammy gimmick was that?

And has Sprint not noticed that the Pre-Register link now takes anyone who clicks it to the store where they CANNOT buy the S4 or pre-order it until tomorrow?

Sprint seems keen on attracting new customers. Although I'm an existing customer, if the S4 "Pre-Register" was my first exposure to Sprint, I would have been unimpressed and suspicious. As an existing customer, I'm unimpressed, suspicious, and angry.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I feel the same way, why didn't Sprint let us know first, also why are they charging more for this phone, lastly I am going to wait and see Wirefly or Amazon's price will be on this. Amazon has the S3 for $49 and Wirefly has it for $79, They both have the Note 2 for $249.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have listened to a lot of complaining about Sprint and its LTE coverage and the $10 for WiMax either of which I was not particularly happy with but fine.  Not the absurdity of charging $249 for the 16GB Galaxy S4 when the other carriers are charging $199 is unbelievable. Talk about a company that is out of touch.  Can’t you see this is a slap in the face of your loyal customers by allowing new people to come to Sprint for $149 while forcing existing customers to pay an extra $50 over what the other carriers are charging!!!  Sprint once again is fleecing its existing loyal customers.

My prediction is you will lose much more that you gain from the scheme.  I have been out of contract since last September and had planned on pre-ordering the Galaxy S4 but not at this price.  I will be evaluating other options.

While unlimited date is a big carrot it is not the only or final deciding factor. The biggest carrot is a company showing respect and loyalty to its existing customer base.  With this pricing plan Sprint is speaking volumes about what it thinks of its existing customers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

i wanted to know why new customers are getting $100.00 discount on the new Galaxy s4 and people like myself who have been loyal customers do not. i have had 4 phones on the same plan for 15 years or more and get no discount.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree - $50 extra isn't even the kicker - NEW customers get $100 off - that's $149.  Sprint says they are grateful to the loyal customers, but this isn't grateful - this is gouging.

I have been loyal to Sprint sinc 1994 - almost 20 years.  I've upgraded regularly, keep 4 phones on the service - pay my nearly $200 each month and I have to pay  $50  MORE than other carriers, and $100 more than new customers. Sprint is even rewarding Disloyalty to other carriers.  I have an S3, I want an S4 - with my phones set up the way I have them, I can upgrade every 7 months - I've been waiting to make this change but I'm not gonna pay $249 - no way - no how!  Can we say "Price Match"?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I believe, since Sprint is treating us like dirt, among other more colorful language, we should be looking for other places to get service. Unlimited data would be a bigger carrot IF I could get faster than dial up speeds. I'm pretty sure the extra $50 they're gouging out of current customers is paying for the new guy's $100 off. This is the last straw for me. If Sprint doesn't have something nice to say to me before preorder starts. . . they can go forunicate themselves elsewhere.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Good point! I am planning on buying four new Galaxy S4s. This will cost me an extra $200 over other carriers. You can be sure I will be looking elsewhere. I don't think the loyal customers should be subsidizing discounts for potential new customers!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint you have really lost your minds now. Basically your telling me that a new customer is more valuable than someone like myself who has been a loyal customer for 15 years. I am going to leave go to att get the phone for 199.99 and then  2 years later come back when the S6 is out I will get a better deal than a loyal customer. GREAT buisness practice.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well played Sprint, well played. Give possible new customers the new S4 for $50 under the price that other carriers are offering, and charge loyal existing customers $50 more than the other carriers price to pay for the new customers. Way to alienate your existing customer base! No loyalty! Glad my contract is up, because if there is no kick-back for the "current" customer base when it comes to the S4, I'm gone and so are the other phones (3) that are on my account. Oh, and by the way, my company was going to upgrade their phones to the S4, 28 phones to be exact. Not anymore!

...and about that 4g you sold me on back in May of 2011...thank you for being honest with me in saying that I would have access to it in my area within the following 3-6 months (Aug-Nov, 2011). I'm glad I have been paying the 4g price for my phone since then!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I, too, signed up to be notified of the latest news for the S4 and received nothing. I only found out through browsing online. And just like everyone else, I'm mad and disappointed that Sprint is deciding to charge it's current customers $50 MORE for the phone and new customers get a $100 credit...ridiculous! I was planning to pre-order the phone and renew my contract, but if this is how Sprint decides to treat it's current customers then I'd rather take my business elsewhere. Time to search for a new provider...

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat