Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S4 - World Phone

SOLVED
47 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone

This can be done I am currently able to use hspa+/4g networks with many prepaid cellular companies and their 4g speeds are twice as fast as sprints lte and more reliable google search sph-l720 domestic sim unlock

Journeyman

I'm wondering if people who have success and those that don't are going to Settings/Connection tab/More networks/mobile networks/  and changing from LTE/CDMA to GSM/UMTS or maybe a different setting such as Automatic

I'm not sure if this is needed and don't recall reading it mentioned.

Thanks to all. I'm so hoping to find a sort of straight forward method for this. Especially for a phone non-expert like me.

Journeyman

I got Sprint to approve an unlock.  I did the Unlock UICC, profile said updated.  I'm in Asia right now and tried 2 sims in two different countries with both saying "Invalid Sim".  I don't think they know what they are doing.

Journeyman

I did the Unlock UICC and it did say "profile updated". Will try it out in two different places on the 2nd and the 5th.

Journeyman

Very important Cellholic, while your phone is connected to the Sprint network, you must go to "settings->more->system updates->Unlock UICC" in order to complete the unlocking on your device. If it was successful, it should say "profile updated". Without this, your phone doesn't actually get unlocked. Keep us posted as to how it goes for you on the 2nd.

Journeyman

Yes, I can verify the 90 days on unlocking.

But, I just managed to get mine done in 18 days. I just got my email from Sprint World Wide care.

I will be trying this out on June 2nd.

Hello ,

This email is intended to confirm that Sprint has successfully unlocked your Samsung Galaxy s4 Device.  The device will reboot itself once its unlocked.  

Phone number: ###-###-####

If you have any additional questions comments or concerns please contact Sprint World Wide care 24/7 at 888-226-7212

Thank you,

Lisa Y.

Sprint eCare

Journeyman

6850buggypilot: the thing is that all the users on XDA who have gone through Sprint's supposed SIM unlocking/UICC releasing or whatever you want to call it process that you describe report that it doesn't work. They go overseas after Sprint told them their device was unlocked then put a foreign SIM in the S4 and just get an "invalid SIM" message.

GrandMaster

if memory serves you have to have an upstanding account and have the new phone for at least 90 days...

Journeyman

Wonder how to get the phone approved for an unlock

Journeyman

BTFU2000 wrote:

Hopefully someone more technically  knowledgeable can explain this for me.  Normally I have called Sprint given them my SIM number reboot the phone and boom, land in Europe, power phone and I have service.  However, I would like to know what I need to do to be able to buy an Orange SIM care and pop that in and use it for cheaper rates.  So what do I have to do to be able to do that.  Also if I use an Orange SIM in Europe, why can't I get orange LTE?

In reverse order: The Sprint SGS4 supports LTE band 25 which is not supported in the EU. In the EU Orange supports band 3, 7 and 20 if I recall.  You'll be limited to the UMTS/HSPA data services there.

The card is not just a SIM card in the Sprint phone but a UICC/GSM SIM card used for LTE access in the USA and GSM for foreign use. The Sprint SIM card card needs to "decoupled" from the phone so that you'll be able to use a third party SIM in a foreign environment.

Sprint international will, let's call it, "unlock" your SIM slot so that you'll be able to use another carriers SIM in the device.  You'll need to put the Sprint SIM back when you return to be able to access LTE services in the US.

Hope this explains it a little better.  It's complex and last time around with the SGN2 I puchased an international one so that I could use GSM abroad as the UICC/SIM is embedded int he SGN2 and can't be swapped!

G/L  -Rod