cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kit Kat Update - Battery Drain - Kernel is keeping the phone awake

Journeyman

Kit Kat Update - Battery Drain - Kernel is keeping the phone awake

Hi Sprint -

So, the Kit Kat update to the S4, at least for me has been going well except for one area - battery life.  Seems that the kernel in this update is keeping the phone awake for many hours on end.  Do you know if you / Samsung are aware of this and if so, are you planning to release an updated kernel to fix the problem?

I have attached a screenshot so you can see what I mean.

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Master

Re: Kit Kat Update - Battery Drain - Kernel is keeping the phone awake

MikeFournier77,

We are not aware of this issue. Here are some basic steps on saving your battery life http://bit.ly/1jcZmas . Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Idiana
Social Care Team
Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having the exact same issue. Since upgrading to KitKat, sometimes up to 90% of the battery is being used by Kernel (Android OS). I don't know how you can say Sprint is not aware of the issue when it's a well known issue discussed on many forums, including this one. Please help us find a solution. For those of us who have this problem, our phones are now barely usable. Plus, since the overclocking of the kernel causes excessive heat, this is potentially a safety issue. It won't be long until someone's battery catches on fire. GSam Battery Monitor has indicated battery temperatures as high as 105 fahrenheit on my phone. This issue should be addressed immediately.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, you're aware of it now.

I'm getting the same thing - I*used* to get some fantastic, well in-excess of expected 24-36 hours of asleep use. Now I'm lucky if I get 12-18. If you use, basically, any app, but particularly the camera or GPS, OS service stuff keeps working in the background. The only real way to avoid it is to restart the stupid thing when you're ready to set it down for awhile. ...and before you ask, I factory reset mine while testing it.

I'm really not happy with this Android update at all. It's laggy, eats more battery, and for what? To give us monochromatic status icons?

Highlighted
Master

Let me start by saying that this last update did sc rew up many things, and in no way i'm saying my performance is what everyone should have.

DrMattingly I think that is on individual basses, I keep my phone unplugged from 6:30 am to midnight and by the time I go to bed I have between 40-30% battery left. I downloaded and used the GSam app just so I can read exactly what you guys were reading and my numbers are totally lower than what reported here. I do go in and clear my RAM at least once a day, but not sure if I that's what helps. Also for the 8hrs I'm at work (FB here and there), I use the phone for one hour on my break (screen on the whole time) going online, FB, short videos, and after the 8hrs (I have to say my phone is under WiFi) I have 70-75% left in my battery.

AxlotlI experienced the lag for a few days until all the apps updated and about 3-4 restarts, I have to say, now is back to the old performance, as far as the battery, as I mentioned, it's good, but not as good as before the update.

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Highlighted
Journeyman

same problem here

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the same problem. Please find a solution because this is driving me crazy. One of the reasons for getting the S4 was its great battery life. This seems to be a lost cause now.

Highlighted
Master

ghosh

Google and Samsung are aware of this issue. They are currently working on a fix for the problem but we do not have an ETR currently.

Melyssa
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello - So it's been a couple of weeks.  Any update on this one??

Highlighted
Master

I installed the same app you are looking at, and I have not had that issue.

Do me a favor, go to settings - more - battery and see what is the top 3 battery eaters. click on them and see for how long they have worked. In my case Android system was awake for 10 min and Android OS for 16 min. My phone has been of the charger since 6:45 am and I still have 92% battery (10:10 am now). 20 min talk and about 10 min fb and email check. most of the time was under WiFi and since 8:45 I have not messed with my phone (until now that I was checking the battery usage).

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Highlighted
Master

MikeFournier77,

Thank you for the reply. Still no word from Samsung yet on the battery drain fix. Was the link provided to you on the previous post helpful? I also found this information on the web, "For a quick fix, turn off the device. Pull the battery out and wait for around 30 seconds before putting it back. If this does not work, download an app for calibrating the battery. One example is a Battery Calibration. If this does not work, do a factory reset as a last resort."  If you do need a reset, I would suggest backing up the device first. Let us know if this is helpful or if you have further questions.

*Sarah W Social Care

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat